View Poll Results: Should A church HAVE to wed gay people even if they don't want to?

Voters
32. This poll is closed
  • Yes

3 9.38%
  • No

29 90.63%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    No. And not just because you shouldn't force people to cater to your needs, but because it makes no sense.

If you're a Christian then you know homosexual marriage is forbidden. So you wanting to have a homosexual marriage in a church, assuming you are a Christian, is rather redundant.
    That actually depends on the church per se, there are many pro-equal marriage christian churches in U.S

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tricky question wrt freedom of choice vs discrimination

Firstly I think churches should be allowed to restrict who they marry to members only. I also believe that a church should be able to place certain criteria on being a member.

That being said, churches which are discriminatory should not be allowed to get any of the legal benefits available to churches (eg tax exemptions). Also in an ideal world people should simply reject any religion that prohibits gay marriage (although ofc I realise that such idealism is unrealistic). Society should be putting pressure on homophobic religious institutions to stop their blatant hypocrisy.

Another point I'd like to add is this: Why would a gay person want to get married in a church which openly condemns who they are? Why would a gay couple wish to be part of such a community at all? I understand that everyone wants to be accepted, but when your community refuses to accept you for you are, it's time to say fuck 'em and move on.

No, of course not. Churches are private social clubs. They can refuse to have a party to whomever they want. They can refuse to have interracial weddings, they can refuse to wed divorcees, they can refuse to wed atheists, they can refuse to wed straight people, they can refuse to wed fat people, they can refuse to wed Christians, they can refuse to wed monogamists, they can refuse to wed people who aren't closely related by blood.

A wedding is not a marriage. A church is not a public accommodation. In the US, you cannot have a law stating that a church has to be loving and accepting. Churches are not subject to false advertisement laws.

No, thy should not. It the religion that makes the laws and rules for whatever church, and if that religion determines that a marriage is strictly between man and woman then that's it.

If the homosexuals who believe in that religion do not agree with that they are free to reconsider their choice of faith, or use the methods the church or religion provides to change the stance towards homosexual marriage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry for the spelling, and no this is not a bait thread. I actually want to know what people on here think since I have seen several cases of people actually wanting to do this.

10+ Year Old Account
    This touched on a few forbidden topics here, one being sexuality and another being religion.

Closing.