Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Old Folks and driving

Went to Kroger a few hours ago, there was an old lady (probly early to mid 60s) in a brand new 2015 Camaro SS. Her first attempt at parking the scraped the living shit out of the shiny chrome rims on the curb. She gave it about 4 more attempts at parking in that spot before giving up and going elsewhere. Her next attempt was in an area where there was 4 open spots, she gave it about 5 tries to try and get inside the lines, on the final attempt she got out of the car walked around to see if she was in the lines and threw her hands up in frustration, then got back into her car and left the store parking lot. I found it rather pathetic someone who can't do something as simple as park on 9 or 10 tries is even allowed to have a license.

I can guarantee i am not the only person here who has experiences with old people who just flat out should not be able to drive. Question is, at what age should they be forced to retake their drivers test? If at all.

I honestly believe once you get into your 60s you should have to retake it. Thoughts?

Having driven one of the new model Camaro's once as a rental, I almost believe its more to do with the car. The visibility in those things is goddamn fucking awful.

Though her lack of skills probably just exacerbated that to an insane degree.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I think every time your license is up for renewal you should be subjected to the same road test as when you first got your license. Every 6 months I'm Federally Required to have a performance ride to maintain my engineer's license - No reason people of all ages should not be required to have a road test when renewing their license. There's definitely more distractions now for motorists than there was 20 years ago when I first got my license.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    Went to Kroger a few hours ago, there was an old lady (probly early to mid 60s) in a brand new 2015 Camaro SS. Her first attempt at parking the scraped the living shit out of the shiny chrome rims on the curb. She gave it about 4 more attempts at parking in that spot before giving up and going elsewhere. Her next attempt was in an area where there was 4 open spots, she gave it about 5 tries to try and get inside the lines, on the final attempt she got out of the car walked around to see if she was in the lines and threw her hands up in frustration, then got back into her car and left the store parking lot. I found it rather pathetic someone who can't do something as simple as park on 9 or 10 tries is even allowed to have a license.

I can guarantee i am not the only person here who has experiences with old people who just flat out should not be able to drive. Question is, at what age should they be forced to retake their drivers test? If at all.

I honestly believe once you get into your 60s you should have to retake it. Thoughts?
    My grandmother still drives at 92, she can park but she also drives a small Corolla.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    Personally I think every time your license is up for renewal you should be subjected to the same road test as when you first got your license. Every 6 months I'm Federally Required to have a performance ride to maintain my engineer's license - No reason people of all ages should not be required to have a road test when renewing their license. There's definitely more distractions now for motorists than there was 20 years ago when I first got my license.
    Not every state even has a road test, just some basics in a parking lot where I live.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Having driven one of the new model Camaro's once as a rental, I almost believe its more to do with the car. The visibility in those things is goddamn fucking awful.

Though her lack of skills probably just exacerbated that to an insane degree.
    I thought the same thing considering my wife drives a Camaro, but this lady wasn't even close on any attempt. It was pretty ridiculous to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    Perhaps even just a theory test, an eye-test and a reaction test (set up a PC with a driving sim that throws an emergency stop at you, if you can't hit the brake fast enough you don't get the license renewal).

10+ Year Old Account
    Being in your early 60's isn't even that old anymore. A lot of people are perfectly healthy. A lot of newer cars have shit for visibility though.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Perhaps even just a theory test, an eye-test and a reaction test (set up a PC with a driving sim that throws an emergency stop at you, if you can't hit the brake fast enough you don't get the license renewal).
    If it's going to be a theory test they need to throw in the cell phone ringing during the middle of the test. If you touch your phone you fail.

EDIT: I understand many cars have Blue-Tooth that makes cell phones hand-free but for the sake of the test...Hands Off!
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Deleted
    honestly, i'd rather have them blind in cars than rampaging all over creation on their mobility scooters.
    Last edited by mmoc4ba93b9265; 2015-05-25 at 09:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Being in your early 60's isn't even that old anymore. A lot of people are perfectly healthy. A lot of newer cars have shit for visibility though.
    While true there are also people in there 50s 60s who act and look like their in their 80s or 90s. A simple retake shouldn't be a problem for those who are fine because if they truly are ok then they will pass.

Go tide a motorcycle for a few weeks and see hoe absolutely fucking terrible 95% of drivers are. Its far too easy to get a license.
    Why join the navy when you can be a pirate

Driving a car you arent used to is hard. I have driven an older model civc for 10 years. I got thrown into a brand new nissan something, nearly got thrown out the window when I hit the brakes. Went to go park and thought 'oh hey im close to the wall infront of me' got out of the car and was like 7 feet away from the wall.

I can see the end of my car, couldn't in that one, so I over compensated. I did so for the entire week I had it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    While true there are also people in there 50s 60s who act and look like their in their 80s or 90s. A simple retake shouldn't be a problem for those who are fine because if they truly are ok then they will pass.
    Sure, we should require drivers to take the test on a regular basis, with how often they have to take it again based on how well they score.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a relative who still drives tanks at 82 years old. Just try to take her license away

That aside, regular driving tests would be good if they were logistically and financially feasible. But they're not. The BMV is already among the most systemically understaffed and underfunded agencies out there without adding a few hundred million regular checkups on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeardedOne View Post
    Go tide a motorcycle for a few weeks and see hoe absolutely fucking terrible 95% of drivers are. Its far too easy to get a license.
    On the other hand, the amount of motorbike riders who think they are invincible is incredible. Overtaking on blind corners, paying no attention to the speed limit, cutting corners - I see at least one on every car journey that isn't just going to the local shops.

Old people on the road terrify me just as much as inattentive teenage drivers trying to text: most of them can't stay in their own lane, will abruptly hit their brakes and come to a complete stop for no reason (green means GO, goddammit), drive 15 to 40 miles under the speed limit, and yes, sometimes abruptly throw their car in fucking reverse because they missed the turn they wanted. If I see the driver of the car in front of me has grey or white hair and I can't get around to pass them, I try and stay about seven or more car lengths back from them for safety.

Drivers that text are still worse than the elderly. Worse than drunk drivers even.

7+ Year Old Account
    Self driving cars should make this a moot point eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I wonder if she ever visits Jisreal. It’s like Isreal, but for Jews.

There's a reason they are pushing Self-Driving cars so hard right now. With the advent of the cell phone drivers are more dangerous than ever. The sooner we take control away from these people (elderly, texters, drunk drivers, etc.) the better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Driver's liscences are stupidly easy to get in the U.S.

When I first git mine, I was sitting in the "waiting room" I.E. chairs on a wall, and some guy who was half blind retook the reading test no less than 7 times, and the lady was like "Alright here you go sir"