10+ Year Old Account

Four jailed for life after insulting UAE on Twitter (GGT)

http://www.abudhabi2.com/four-jailed...ae-on-twitter/

Four men have been sentenced to life in prison for disseminating information, rumours and pictures on Twitter that harmed the reputation of the UAE.
    Another man was given 10 years for the same offence.

The sentences were handed out at the State Security Circuit at the Federal Supreme Court on Monday, state news agency WAM reported.

The court found the men had “intent to ridicule and damage the reputation and prestige of the state symbols”, WAM said.

The verdicts were issued in the presence of the first defendant, identified as H.A.M.A, while the other four, identified as J.H.A, H.K.A., R.A.A. and A.M.A., were sentenced in absentia.

The court heard the pleadings of the first accused and his defence lawyers.

Each of the defendants was also fined Dhs1 million.

The court did not state what nationality the men were nor if it is known where the four at-large individuals are.

H.A.M.A appeared before the court in the presence of relatives, the media and members of civil society organisations.

Meanwhile, the court handed down a three-year imprisonment to an Emirati, identified as A.S.A., on the charge of abusing state symbols at his workplace.
    If it just takes a few tweets to ruin a reputation, you must already have a bad one?

I think a lot of our politicians would like to imprison a reporter here or there.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

this sounds like it happened somewhere overseas where they oppress women and stone people to death for sleeping around...

i can not muster any SJW rage for this sorry.

Sometimes I get confused when people don't remember the vast majority of the world doesn't care about western ideals.

Saudi Arabia and the UAE can suck my ... ! Stupid states that have too much money than sense due to Oil --- I sincerely hope the sands engulf the entire region once said oil runs dry. Medieval Laws, arrogant people.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2015-05-23 at 02:05 PM.

Deleted
    Authoritarian-run country imprisoning people they don't like? Color me shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Saudi Arabia and the UAE can suck my ... !
    Car stereo?
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Yeah, they can suck on my [car stereo's] knob...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maulina View Post
    this sounds like it happened somewhere overseas where they oppress women and stone people to death for sleeping around...
    Well.. it did. So I don't really know what you expected.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

The UAE is a dictatorship based on a shitty ideology. In other news, water is wet and fire is hot.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I think a lot of our politicians would like to imprison a reporter here or there.
    from which network?

the government ran fox news, or the outlaw liberal msnbc?

Deleted
    Wait a sec. Did they just "jail" four for claiming something negative about their country on twitter, despite not knowing where they were?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Can I start putting (GGT) at the end of all my thread titles, too?
    What is GGT?

jeez some people here are quick with judgments... then again not surprised with the internet. I suggest everyone of you look at your own country and see whats fucked up with it before you point fingers elsewhere not saying where I am from is good, far from it. Just think a little before stereotyping.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Who wouldn't want that?

Quote Originally Posted by Masterpd85 View Post
    from which network?

the government ran fox news, or the outlaw liberal msnbc?
    Haha, good one! Oh wait, you were serious...

Quote Originally Posted by Esna View Post
    jeez some people here are quick with judgments... then again not surprised with the internet. I suggest everyone of you look at your own country and see whats fucked up with it before you point fingers elsewhere not saying where I am from is good, far from it. Just think a little before stereotyping.
    Unfortunately the majority of people on this forum only have enough mental capacity to think in a very simplistic, black-and-white mindset.

Makes you appreciate our relative Western freedoms and how critical it is to uphold our freedom of speech laws in our respective countries, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Martinussen View Post
    The UAE is a dictatorship based on a shitty ideology. In other news, water is wet and fire is hot.
    No friggen way!!!

BRB, gonna test this shit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    No she shouldn't be removed she is an elected official and hasn't broken any laws just hurt some people's feelings.