Managing energy as a WW monk.

Hi all. I currently main brewmaster but have my off spec as windwalker and I have been playing a lot of it recently. My main question is how would you go about managing your energy? I have no issues with it as brewmaster but I cant seem to get it down with windwalker. Any tips?

I've been playing as WW since the launch of WoD. When you say "get it down," are you referring to the generation and consumption or that you always or consistently have too much energy; I.E. Energy capping? If you're energy capping, you probably need to be spending more energy on Chi builders so that you can get out more Chi using abilities. So, if you're near energy capped hit Jab or Expel Harm for ST and your variant of RJW if AOE. That is unless your at max Chi; then you'd need to use BoK, ChiEx, FoF, etc. depending on what's off CD. Hope that helps.

That being said, if this is an issue of not being able to manage your energy well, all I can say is that it's a matter of getting comfortable with the spec and its playstyle. It takes some practice. WW has been the single hardest Class/Spec for me to play in my WoW career. That's saying a lot too; I've been playing since launch.

- - - Updated - - -

It is one of those Classes that is very heavily dependent on timing of your attacks for massive damage gains. If you perform the rotation well without looking at trinket procs or timing your CD's to get the maximum number out for each fight you'll only be capable of doing 50-60% of the classes potential. It is crucial that if you're going to be a top performer you have to line up your trinkets and CD's for use with FoF.

This is a class that on the surface is easy to play but very hard to master. You will have to work exponentially more hard than your raid counterparts to produce the same output.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    I rarely get to play WW (usually asked to play MW or Disc) and my DPS isn't bad but I love the spec and would like to master it. Besides lining up trinkets and following rotation is there anything else to worry about for single target DPS?

I'm using a FCFS mod to help me maximize energy use when I'm distracted with raid managing called "We Don't Wipe". Do you know of a better one?

I'm constantly running out of energy, is that normal?

What is better, chi brew, power strikes or ascension and why?

What is the best strategy for AOE, make clones and Spinning Crane Kick or just Spinning Crane Kick? I feel like this is my weakest point, other classes slaughter me in AOE.

Quote Originally Posted by Java View Post

Generally, yes. As your gear (and haste) levels rise you'll notice less downtime in your rotation.

This depends on your chosen level 100 talent. If you've taken Chi Explosion for cleave/AOE situations, Ascension is better. With Serenity, you'll be running Chi Brew. Make sure there's always at least one chi brew recharging at all times and ensure you never overcap chi or energy because of using it. Should also try not to overcap Tigereye Brew with it but this shouldn't really be an issue for very obvious reasons.

What is the best strategy for AOE, make clones and Spinning Crane Kick or just Spinning Crane Kick? I feel like this is my weakest point, other classes slaughter me in AOE.

When you have 1 spirit out, you and your spirit are doing -30% damage, meaning that you are doing 140% damage. With two spirits out, you and your spirits doing -45% damage, meaning you are doing 165% damage. So, whether there are 3 or 30 targets, having spirits out is a massive damage increase and should be done whenever possible, unless your progression group specifically needs that little bit of extra single target DPS to push an enemy down (think Primal Elementalists in blast furnace). How you go about AOEing depends entirely on your talents.

https://walkingthewinds.wordpress.co...dwalker-guide/

That is Babylonius' guide to windwalker. He also has a better explanation of spirits on his blog post here: https://walkingthewinds.wordpress.co...of-cx-and-you/

The latter covers a lot of information on how you should be approaching AOE situations. I would recommend that entire blog if you're looking to improve at Windwalker... it has helped me drastically.

I rarely get to play WW (usually asked to play MW or Disc) and my DPS isn't bad but I love the spec and would like to master it. Besides lining up trinkets and following rotation is there anything else to worry about for single target DPS?

I'm using a FCFS mod to help me maximize energy use when I'm distracted with raid managing called "We Don't Wipe". Do you know of a better one?

For a more detailed strategy for AoE: by default, the go-to talents are Chi Burst, Serenity, Xuen and Chi Explosion for most AoE situations. In some cases, Chi Torpedo and Rushing Jade Wind can be better, but this choice of talents is very good in most cases.

Whenever there are 2 or 3+ targets, use SE&F (unless the targets will not last more than a couple seconds). Use Xuen on CD, FoF on CD with TEB. FoF deals a massive amount of AoE damages, so make sure to hit as many enemies as possible. Glyph of Floating Butterfly / Flying Fists can help you a lot here. Use Chi Burst on CD, make sure you aim so that it hits as many enemies at possible. It goes in straight line, and you can aim while casting. Use Chi Explosion with at least 4 Chi points. Use Spinning Crane Kick if more than 4 enemies, jab otherwise. And of course, keep Tiger Power and Rising Sun Kick up.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything!

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the tips!
    Last edited by Java; 2015-05-27 at 06:07 PM.