View Poll Results: what should the driverless do?

Voters
51. This poll is closed
  • it should kill you by plowing into the wreck

3 5.88%
  • it should save your life by swerving into another lane and risk killing others

48 94.12%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    I've seen it many times...there isn't much in the way of 2 and 4 door cars that are going be ok taking a blow from an 80k lb semi.
    Yeah, doesn't matter if the driver is a human or not.

18-wheeler vs a small sedan is a win for the truck every time. Physics, bitches.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    That won't ever happen. Not ever.

But we can come up with an even better scenario, one where a pedestrian decides to run across the street in front of your driverless car. Does it hit the pedestrian, or swerve and risk a collision with another vehicle?
    That's actually a really easy question, and one a driverless car can handle infinitely better than humans, who make the wrong choice there ALL the time.

See, the simple answer is, it slams on the (anti-lock) brakes as hard as possible, and hope it causes as little damage to the idiot running in front of it as possible.

People think they're supposed to swerve to avoid shit like that, but in actuality humans are not good enough drivers to decide if they should do it or not.

The computer can calculate and correct quickly enough that if there's no threat, they can successfully swerve and avoid, or if there is danger, follow the human plan of just trying to slow down as much as possible before impact.

Humans try to make that decision and kill themselves swerving to avoid shit they shouldn't have all the damn time.

Quote Originally Posted by Herradura View Post
    A driverless car would be following at a sufficient distance to be able to completely stop or otherwise avoid a crash LIKE EVERY HUMAN SHOULD BE DOING, and it would do so with inhuman precision.

This situation is unrealistic.
    Yeah, a better scenario would be the one from I, Robot. What options do you and your driverless car have when it's under attack by other driverless cars that are also unloading murderous robots all over your vehicle. What do then?
    Last edited by King Shark; 2015-05-24 at 04:21 PM.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    Yeah, a better scenario would be the one from I, Robot. What options do you and your driverless car have when it's under attack by other driverless cars that is also unloading murderous robots all over your vehicle. What do then?
    That's when you go back to my suggestion of using missiles.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.