Thread: Twitch alerts

10+ Year Old Account

Twitch alerts

When you follow someone on Twitch it says you get alerted when they come online but I see nothing. How exactly to you get "alerted".

The email you signed up to twitch with. Make sure to activate notifications for each channel you want them for under the video window.

10+ Year Old Account
    OK but that's hardly instant, I check my main email about once or twice a week. The email I used to sign up at Twitch is my scratch email which I only check once in a blue moon.

Well, that's how thay alert. Not sure there's much you can do other than changing email or just checking more often.

Many people have a smartphone by now, and therefor get there email instantly,
    that said the notification system is a bit wonky at times and can be sent out a fair bit after the broadcast starts.

If you use chrome, I suggest getting the extension Twitch Now. It will notify you when someone starts streaming as well as having a button that shows the number of streamers that you follow who are currently streaming. It can have a delay of up to 10 mins though.

Quote Originally Posted by alucardtnuoc View Post
    If you use chrome, I suggest getting the extension Twitch Now. It will notify you when someone starts streaming as well as having a button that shows the number of streamers that you follow who are currently streaming. It can have a delay of up to 10 mins though.
    There's also a version for firefox apparently, nice little addon, thanks.

Also using Twitch Now and it works well but you need to be infront of the computer to note it ofc.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    OK but that's hardly instant, I check my main email about once or twice a week. The email I used to sign up at Twitch is my scratch email which I only check once in a blue moon.
    That's really all on you for 1) not checking your email more often and 2) not having whatever smart device you have attached to your email.

Quote Originally Posted by Drungan View Post
    that said the notification system is a bit wonky at times and can be sent out a fair bit after the broadcast starts.
    This. The system has been especially bad lately, I've gotten notifications almost an hour after a person actually went live.

You can also elect to receive text messages if streamers you subscribe to go live, but that has also been very inconsistent lately, I'd say it fails to send the text about 50% of the time these last few weeks.

I've resorted to setting up Twitter notifications for the handful of people I want notifications for because most of them Tweet when they're going live. This isn't ideal though, because I get notifications for all of their Tweets. Luckily, the two people I do this for rarely Tweet.

BTTV has a desktop pop-up notification when someone starts streaming, however it is laggy too. I feel like they broke the API or something some time ago, only they can fix it.

I'm betting that the servers can't handle the amount of people starting stream so it forms a queue of sorts.

Got to agree with the wonky part. Got a notification, went to watch and it was already over....

I remember last time I was going to Stream, I also had it set up to auto-notify on Twitter, so if the stream you are watching does that, you can get notified that way as well. Other than that, yeah, check your e-mail.