Poll: What would you give up?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

If you had to lose a sense or a pair of limbs...

Totally random question that I know has no real-world implementation. If you had to lose either both of your hands, both of your legs, your hearing, your seeing, your sense of taste, your sense of smell, or your sense of touch, which would you give up?

I'd probably go with taste. As much as I love food, it seems to be the least useful of the five main senses (hearing and seeing are obviously useful, while touch and smell can warn of damage or danger), and I use my hands and legs frequently.

What say y'all? If you had to give up either a pair of limbs or a sense, what would you give up?

Yeah, taste can go. Arms and hearing is what I need most.

10+ Year Old Account
    Farewell to taste.

Maybe I can finally eat broccoli now.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

i want to say legs, so i could get a check every month for something. but, it'd be embarrassing to need help to use the bathroom, i can't handle that.

but maybe taste. is bitterness affected by taste? if so, then taste. cause of some reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Could I just decide to die instead of giving up anything else?
    Exactly. I can't do any part of my job without all of the five senses* and both hands and both feet. Death instead, please.

*Thing...
    "Humans have more than the commonly cited five senses. The number of senses in various categorizations ranges from 5 to more than 20. In addition to sight, smell, taste, touch, and hearing, which were the senses identified by Aristotle, humans can sense balance and acceleration (equilibrioception), pain (nociception), body and limb position (proprioception or kinesthetic sense), and relative temperature (thermoception). Other senses sometimes identified are the sense of time, itching, pressure, hunger, thirst, fullness of the stomach, need to urinate, need to defecate, and blood carbon dioxide levels."

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Smell if I had to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Exactly. I can't do any part of my job without all of the five senses* and both hands and both feet. Death instead, please.

*Thing...
    Right. I know we have more than 5, which is why I said in my post "the five main senses." I didn't include them to due to the obscurity and having to explain XD
    Thanks for that though!

I already don't have a sense of smell, and it's no big loss at all. If you want to make that poll a much tougher choice, remove taste/smell/touch from the options. Once we get down to hands/legs/hearing/sight, now that becomes a Saw movie-like choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Smell. While I enjoy smelling things, it is the most worthless of senses and limbs I have.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dome Fossil View Post
    I already don't have a sense of smell, and it's no big loss at all. If you want to make that poll a much tougher choice, remove taste/smell/touch from the options. Once we get down to hands/legs/hearing/sight, now that becomes a Saw movie-like choice.
    If it came to that, legs.

Without eyes or hands I'd be close to suicidal. Without hearing, I'd be upset, but get over it. Without legs, well, there are decent prosthetics out there, and mobility isn't too difficult with a wheelchair (not that it doesn't have major drawbacks to walking of course.)
    Putin khuliyo

Hearing would be the most logical choice. Eyes and limbs are the most important things.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Would go with smell.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm about 40% deaf as it is, so given the choice, I'd rather lose my hearing than any of my limbs.

Loss of sense of touch is.. bad. Like really bad.

You end up hurting yourself because you can't feel it (and can't feel the pain from that, either). I'd lose hearing / possibly sight before all sense of touch.

Quote Originally Posted by ombilaogha View Post
    it'd be embarrassing to need help to use the bathroom
    i love this spambot(or whatever it is) for copying this specific thing i said.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i love this spambot(or whatever it is) for copying this specific thing i said.
    It appears you have a stalker. Shall I fetch the blowtorch?

Taste.

It's basically useless for survival these days. Don't need it nearly as much as the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    Taste.

It's basically useless for survival these days. Don't need it nearly as much as the others.
    Taste is a pleasure though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasavaqe View Post
    It appears you have a stalker. Shall I fetch the blowtorch?
    it's in a few threads now, idk what it is, but it sure was funny in this case xD

I don't much care for the sense of temperature..

So I would pick that.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

Deleted
    Not sure if taste or smell is the optimal choice.

You can only taste like 5 different things without your sense of smell.
    Picked smell anyway.