Making new friends

Hey guys, I've felt a bit down recently because I don't do anything much at all in the week and really need to meet new people but am not sure how to. Nearly every weekend I go out with my girlfriend and we have awesome fun, that's all good and fun, but if she's working or such then I feel like such a loner. My best mate never wants to do anything as every time I ask him there is an excuse and even then that's only 1 person. Never had a problem with making friends and was actually quite popular in school, but after I left everyone went to uni where as I got a job and apart from the odd meet ups, we've lost touch. Made a few friends at my first job and we still go out every now and again now, but they're not close friends. My current job isn't full of youthful people and even though we have the occasional night out, it's just something we do because we're work mates.

Basically, I need somewhere I can meet people with similar interests to me and strike up conversations with people. I go to the gym most days, but that doesn't feel like a social place because people are just there trying to do their workouts and don't want to be bothered, they do have classes there but nothing interests me apart from circuit training (which is something I'm currently thinking about (unsure of certain details)).

Anyone else had a similar situation in their life. Cheers.

Best places to make friends are school and work.

I don't have any friends. :/ So I can't be of much help.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkyman View Post
    Hey guys, I've felt a bit down recently because I don't do anything much at all in the week and really need to meet new people but am not sure how to. Nearly every weekend I go out with my girlfriend and we have awesome fun, that's all good and fun, but if she's working or such then I feel like such a loner. My best mate never wants to do anything as every time I ask him there is an excuse and even then that's only 1 person. Never had a problem with making friends and was actually quite popular in school, but after I left everyone went to uni where as I got a job and apart from the odd meet ups, we've lost touch. Made a few friends at my first job and we still go out every now and again now, but they're not close friends. My current job isn't full of youthful people and even though we have the occasional night out, it's just something we do because we're work mates.

Basically, I need somewhere I can meet people with similar interests to me and strike up conversations with people. I go to the gym most days, but that doesn't feel like a social place because people are just there trying to do their workouts and don't want to be bothered, they do have classes there but nothing interests me apart from circuit training (which is something I'm currently thinking about (unsure of certain details)).

Go to any social gathering. The people are usually abundant. Approach them and strike a conversation.

Does your gym have basketball courts? Play in pick up games.

15+ Year Old Account
    Depending on what kind of area you live in, there might be some clubs that interest you, or charity work you can do. Pretty much any organized activity is a good way to meet people.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I don't have any friends. :/ So I can't be of much help.
    Most people I know hate me and want me to die.

Watch out for people who try to be your friend, they will use it as a setup to rob you.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    MMORPG's, Work, Gym, School, College, Parks, etc.

You need to start a conversation and be a gentle person. Leave the rest to the winds of destiny.

Deleted
    Depending on what country you're in, www.meetup.com may have something in your area. Better for big cities. In my area there are a few groups like a hiking group, a rock climbing group, a couple of book groups, a group for clubbing, another for going to restaurants etc... easier to meet people if you can find a group where there's 10 of you and then you can chat to people, get to know them, add the people you like to facebook or whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Find a hobby. Go to places where people engage in said hobby. Talk at them until they talk back. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Unless your work has about a total of 5 minutes of downtime in a 10 hour shift.

I strongly disagree with Hooked here.

You don't make friends at work. Your colleagues should be acquaintances and not friends. Do not mix work with outside life.

Instead you can join a gym, take up some classes of what you fancy, either its yoga or I dunno kickboxing, or maybe go pick up a language class? generally that short of thing will help you meet new people.

So I'd suggest when your girl is working and not available, go do a group activity and get to know the people around that activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    Depending on what country you're in, www.meetup.com may have something in your area. Better for big cities. In my area there are a few groups like a hiking group, a rock climbing group, a couple of book groups, a group for clubbing, another for going to restaurants etc... easier to meet people if you can find a group where there's 10 of you and then you can chat to people, get to know them, add the people you like to facebook or whatever.
    Doesn't seem to be much in my area for that :/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Go to any social gathering. The people are usually abundant. Approach them and strike a conversation.

Does your gym have basketball courts? Play in pick up games.
    They don't unfortunately, it's not exactly a top notch gym. The only parts that seem to be slightly viable are the classes, might give them a try.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    I actually agree 100%. School, and Work is where a lot of people meet. Sometimes also: Family Gatherings, and Parties (Could be a public open party, could be a club, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Chunkyman View Post

Since school and work aren't much of an option for you, try to focus on finding hobby groups you can join. The gym isn't a good place to meet people, but things like cross-fit, martial art classes, or outdoor hobbies are.

You can also try to find a part-time job or volunteer where people similar to your age group and interests hangout. I did this when I moved to a new city years ago. I got job at a trendy bar for a few hours a week and met a ton of people this way.

I hope that helps. Best of luck out there

Get a dog, worked for me!

Serious tip: Get out in the world and participate in something you enjoy. Do you like sports? Find a team for said sports if possible.
    Follow me on twitter @crusadernero
    Nero - Human Retribution Paladin on Burning Blade EU.

I find that friends can be overrated. I prefer to have a list of exploitable resources.