Tanking with Blood DK - Need some feedback.

Hello guys, i decided to reroll to a Blood Dk because apparently they're gonna be strong on 6.2. I enjoy the playstyle of it (lots of micromanagement) but i know that i'm still making mistakes. I'm posting my logs, if you guys notice something bad, just tell me.

www . warcraftlogs . com/reports/AG8FhQaqrzycX49n

Problems identified:
    - Runic Power overcapping.
    - Not using Crimson Scourge procs on Defile.
    - Overhealing with Death Strike.
    - Not using Soul Reaper.

I was comparing logs with other DK's and i don't know why i'm having a lot more melee damage than the others. I'm tanking Sorka and soaking Blade Dash with Rune Tap.

Thanks in advance for all your responses!

Tbh you should just use defile everytime you bring sorka back into the pile of 3 for damage. Obviously as you said soul reaper the instant anything is at 35% and favor that over blood boils(basically dont use blood boil unless you will cap bloods). RP capping is gonna happen unless you go Breath. Death Strike overhealing is w/e. Long as you NEVER cap runes you are fine. Capping runes is worse than RP by a longshot.

You are using Rune Taps and Vamp Bloods plenty. You seem fine for what Defile DK can do other than the few things you pointed out.

wow, I never compared what Defile would be like tanking them vs Breath. What a huge discrepancy.

But yeah, you're not really off by a whole lot. You've already identified most of your weakpoints already, so it's just a matter of perfecting yourself. Hell, I know I'm hardly ever perfect either. I can vary my performance by 10% from one try to the next.

I want to get used to Defile tanking before taking BoS, I know it is a more advanced playstyle and also need more MS, i'll try it next week I guess. I read Troxysm and Reniat analysis on BoS, i think i have all the info i need to start using it.

Back to the topic, I have a couple of questions:

- What's the "correct" use of Defile? Use it on CD or just with CS procs?
    - Sometimes I tend to use all my runes and try to recap using blood charge. E.G. at the pull, I use 2x DS > Outbreak > Plague Leech > DS > Coils/Taps. All guides suggest that you should always save a FU pair just in case, but sometimes i feel like there is a LOT of downtime (My main is a Guardian and i'm always pressing something, lol) Dunno if i'm doing the rotation correctly or playing recklessly.

Thanks for your answers guys! Jello, i've been following you since Cataclysm man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzylolz View Post
    I want to get used to Defile tanking before taking BoS, I know it is a more advanced playstyle and also need more MS, i'll try it next week I guess. I read Troxysm and Reniat analysis on BoS, i think i have all the info i need to start using it.

Back to the topic, I have a couple of questions:

- Sometimes I tend to use all my runes and try to recap using blood charge. E.G. at the pull, I use 2x DS > Outbreak > Plague Leech > DS > Coils/Taps. All guides suggest that you should always save a FU pair just in case, but sometimes i feel like there is a LOT of downtime (My main is a Guardian and i'm always pressing something, lol) Dunno if i'm doing the rotation correctly or playing recklessly.

Thanks for your answers guys! Jello, i've been following you since Cataclysm man.
    Some of the best advice right there. Tanking is all about control, and being able to have an “oh shit” death strike in your back pocket is control of your life in the best way.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

On CD, unless you need to save the 10% DR for something. Using CS procs on DnD/Defile does not generate runic power (unless they fixed that without telling me), so I always use them on BB. Rune desync isn't really an issue if you have Blood Tap, so there's no reason not to spend an unholy/death rune on it.

Your opener seems fine, except that afterwards you won't have diseases on the boss. If OB is on cooldown when you PL, just reapply them with IT/CoI + PS unless you're in danger of dying. I usually open with DRW > OB because DRW applies its own diseases for a little extra damage.
    Saving that FU pair just in case (unless you are about to BT, ERW or PL to get them back) is a very good practice. Try to hold on to your Death Strikes until you are missing some health (or your runes are about to cap). You shouldn't notice much downtime after you get a decent amount of multistrike for RP generation, but if you try to expend runes ASAP when they become available, you're probably going to be capping and wasting RP. It's all about balancing to maintain <65 RP, <11 Blood Charges, and 1+ of each rune on cooldown.