Ad block plus vs RTL Interactive and ProSiebenSat1's

So I saw this pop up today first I've heard about it and thought this could be a interesting topic.

Source:http://www.businessinsider.com/adblo...-7sat-1-2015-5

Adblock Plus, which claims to be the most popular ad blocking tool, has been victorious again in court versus publishers who took out lawsuits against its owner company Eyeo demanding that users should not be allowed to legally block ads on their sites.

German broadcasters RTL Interactive and ProSiebenSat1's lawsuit argued that users should not be able to block ads on their websites and that Adblock Plus should not be able to offer its Acceptable Ads Policy, whereby large publishers have to adhere to a series of standards and sometimes pay hefty fees in order to be white-listed from its blocking service. Even then, users can still choose to block all ads.

But a court in Munich on Wednesday ruled in favor of Adblock Plus owner Eyeo, according to a press release sent out by the company. A spokesperson for the court confirmed the ruling to The Guardian and in a statement added that because users choose to download Adblock, and that it doesn't have enough dominance in the market to stifle the majority of publishers' ad revenues, that the ad blocking software is not anti-competitive.
    Now here is their argument
    The argument against ad blocking is that it takes advertiser money out of the system and forms an existential threat to the publishers who rely on advertising revenue to present their content to users for free. Publishers have also been critical of the way ad blocking companies like Eyeo charge big publishers and companies like Google and Amazon in order to be whitelisted.
    Do you agree with their argument? I personally don't in most cases I've seen both with friends and people on mmo c most people will not buy a product based on a advertisement alone.Hopefully more rulings in ad block plus's favor will influence more corporations to make less annoying intrusive and safer ads.

And for websites that need ad revenue to function I think they should also open up a tip jar Some people will never enable ads for any reason but would still support a website they enjoy.
    Last edited by smackyslap; 2015-05-28 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smackyslap View Post
    demanding that users should not be allowed to legally block ads on their sites.
    Wow. That's an almost comical opinion. What's next? Road users should not be legally allowed to ignore billboards?

Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    Wow. That's an almost comical opinion. What's next? Road users should not be legally allowed to ignore billboards?
    Theyll comeup with windshield hovering billboards soon :S

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    The funny part is that it's easy to make a site where you cannot block adds. But if sites did that nobody would visit anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    My internet access, my RAM, my video card, my display. I get to decide what I do and do not show on screen.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh i bet they hate it when i change channels during the ads to a show thats nots on ads, then switch back when the ads are gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    My internet access, my RAM, my video card, my display. I get to decide what I do and do not show on screen.
    The alternative is of course, to stop visiting sites with ads that are intolerable.

The end result is the same for ad revenues. People stop viewing their ads.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    We should be taking them to court for putting unsafe ads on their websites.
    People have tried, ironically and the result is usually that it is upon the end user to protect themselves, not on the provider to ensure theirs ads are safe.

What a world.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

honestly I think thats just bullshit that ad providers do not have to ensure that their ads are safe you can risk peoples entire livelihood if your bad ad installs some spyware on their system.

I guess I should make a billboard that has a tendency to fall over when ever someone gets to close to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, I am with AdBlock Plus all the way unless advertisers have to pay people for damage to their computers, and be held accountable, and pay fees to ISP to counter the price we as consumers are charge, then they can fuck off.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis