External Engineering

What is that? Google wasn't helpful, can someone describe what they typically do or are qualified to do, and what skills they inhabit please?

This worst profession name I've ever heard. It describes nothing.

Deleted
    It's the exact opposite of internal engineering.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is what Indeed.com yields when I type that in: http://www.indeed.co.uk/External-Engineer-jobs

I'm an engineer. I went to an engineering school with over 14 different engineering disciplines. None of them were "external". That's far too vague. Engineering disciplines are much more specific. External could mean virtually anything. As far as I know there's no such thing as "external engineering". It might be a phrase vaguely used in engineering somewhere, but it's not a real discipline.

10+ Year Old Account
    The best info I can find is relating to supply chains and warehousing.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    The best info I can find is relating to supply chains and warehousing.
    Generally that kind of work would be done by Industrial Engineers, with maybe a Civil or Transportation Engineer here or there. Still never heard of a External Engineer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bormes View Post
    Generally this would be the work of Industrial Engineers, with maybe a Civil or Transportation Engineer here or there.
    That's why "external engineer" makes no sense. In all my years as a software engineer I've never heard the term. It's never come up in a job search, even tangentially related.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bormes View Post
    I'm an engineer. I went to an engineering school with over 14 different engineering disciplines. None of them were "external". That's far too vague. Engineering disciplines are much more specific. External could mean virtually anything. As far as I know there's no such thing as "external engineering". It might be a phrase vaguely used in engineering somewhere, but it's not a real discipline.
    Exactly. For the record, notice how all of these are pretty specific:

Chemical engineering

Electrical engineering

Mechanical Engineering

Aerospace engineering

Software engineering

etc.

Now make no mistake, you have some engineers crossing over from other fields (after all, it's just easier to train up an engineer that has the basic ideas down) but it sounds like something you'd get from a diploma mill.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    That's why "external engineer" makes no sense. In all my years as a software engineer I've never heard the term. It's never come up in a job search, even tangentially related.
    I'm a software engineer too and I've never heard of this. Further searches yielded this:
    Andy [Whitfield] worked as an external engineer – ‘like a really hot Spider-Man, scaling buildings’
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...th-cancer.html
    Could it be a window washer?

10+ Year Old Account
    If that's a window washer, they're really trying to dress it up.

It also could be someone who helps find damage to the exterior of buildings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes "Engineer" in a job title has nothing to do with engineering. My company calls me a "Bid Engineer," which is apparently an industry understood term, but I have no engineering degree and all I do is come up with financial models that allow us to price our bids.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    What is that? Google wasn't helpful, can someone describe what they typically do or are qualified to do, and what skills they inhabit please?
    Where did you come across this term? Maybe some context would help.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimson View Post
    Where did you come across this term? Maybe some context would help.
    A friend mentioned his friend was exploring going back to school for other options.

OMG, I'm tearing up from reading that article. RIP Andy and best wishes to his family.