Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Druover View Post
    And no more responding to your posts as long as your saying pig. Its very annoying how much that has derailed this thread. Act civilized or do not participate please.
    I am acting civilized, it's not like I'm making personal insults or borderline trolling like others. It's no different than calling rioters thugs, I can use the term as I please. I like when people start ignoring a forum poster because they know they're wrong.

Classes in deescalation would be a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    "If they won't let me kill anyone I want I can't do my job "

Americas heroes showing the world their true colors
    I think I just found my new signature, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Classes in deescalation would be a good start.
    What do you mean here?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crazygamer420 View Post
    I am acting civilized, it's not like I'm making personal insults or borderline trolling like others. It's no different than calling rioters thugs, I can use the term as I please. I like when people start ignoring a forum poster because they know they're wrong.
    There have been a few insults thrown. I cant be bothered to sift through this thread to show youve been acting poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post

There have been a few insults thrown. I cant be bothered to sift through this thread to show youve been acting poorly.
    The only thing I'm insulting are the pigs/cops. They don't get my respect until they are held accountable for their actions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Science doesnt think its so funny. Go take it up with behavioural and neuro-scientists. If you think you can counter their evidence by all means, but to simply laugh it off as if it means nothing is ignorant.
    I agree with you and what science has to offer, but can't help but feel that if they all TRIED to make it out of their life and do better and be better.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rmination.html

Just seeing as the kid was raised in homeless shelters and went on to achieve a 4.65 grade average and become valedictorian I wonder why those kids with homes and parents can't strive to do better? I believe that their environment is detrimental to them achieving a better life but I also believe that if they truly wanted to change and have a better life that most of them wouldn't adopt a lifestyle where they sell drugs, enter gangs, and do other criminal activities.

Also just going to say that I don't research and look into this stuff a lot, the one thing I trust is science though so if you have a good read or anything that slices and dices what I say up toss it my way. I enjoy reading and if it is logical am willing to change my opinion and viewpoint ^_^

That our police force here in America is not trained to deescalate situations and is instead given plenty of new toys that cause escalation instead.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crazygamer420 View Post
    The only thing I'm insulting are the pigs/cops. They don't get my respect until they are held accountable for their actions.
    Vast majority of them do a good job though, and it's the politicians jobs to set up a system to weed out the bad. Say what you want about "brotherhood" culture, there's very little a good common cop can do to change anything unless those at the top uphold their end.

Is it not okay that there is a tendency to not want to conform to our facade we call society? I'm not justifying the means but the idea isn't necessarily wrong. Would you want to conform to a society that belittles and ridicules you at every term? We've given the community enough reason to rebel then wonder why they won't submit to our standards..
    It's simply an issue of practicality. If you want someone to understand you, you have to make an effort to meet them where they are and find common ground. Whatever issue of morality there may be, it's obvious that most of America is perfectly fine ignoring places like Baltimore. Meaning that black communities are the communicators that need to reach everyone else. It's no real surprise as to why these communities rebel, but in many ways their issues are systemic at an internal level not an external one. For example, give me a poor inner city white community that gives little value to education, and I'll show you an equally corrupted and crime ridden one.

A little off topic, but one of the biggest issues with cities like Baltimore is the expansion of the Global Economy. Most of these cities simply lost their livelihood as manufacturing left and where unable to make the jump to service based economies. In general if a man has good work to keep him busy, and a high enough wage to support his family while saving a little, he is FAR less likely to commit crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    I see lots of posts in this thread suggesting we give back to the communities, or we break up police unions, what if, they Police aren't the problem here? WHAT IF its actually the people who are the problem. I could argue all day about how they are overarmed for what they do, yes, but that doesn't change the fact that they are just trying to do there jobs.
    Police aren't well trained in deescalation

Quote Originally Posted by Forgottenone View Post
    I agree with you and what science has to offer, but can't help but feel that if they all TRIED to make it out of their life and do better and be better.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rmination.html

Just seeing as the kid was raised in homeless shelters and went on to achieve a 4.65 grade average and become valedictorian I wonder why those kids with homes and parents can't strive to do better? I believe that their environment is detrimental to them achieving a better life but I also believe that if they truly wanted to change and have a better life that most of them wouldn't adopt a lifestyle where they sell drugs, enter gangs, and do other criminal activities.

Also just going to say that I don't research and look into this stuff a lot, the one thing I trust is science though so if you have a good read or anything that slices and dices what I say up toss it my way. I enjoy reading and if it is logical am willing to change my opinion and viewpoint ^_^
    It takes a certain amount of personal insight to even understand that theyre the problem. Most people in these situations fight off these emotions vehemently or drown out through self-medication. This is a much more multi-dimensional issue than simply "they need to do better in life" which is relative to say the least. My perception of a better life is most likely much different than what most people subscribe to.
    I personally grew up in foster care, and through that I have developed a certain amount of empathy that a lot of people seem to lack. It hasnt been until very recently in my life that Ive sought help for problems that I wasnt even aware existed in me. But its taken years of searching unsuccessfully for answers, when it was the question that was wrong all along. It has also taken me years of recognizing patterns and stumbling across information that resonated deep, to fully understand the problem and the amount of control I have over it, which as it turns out is a lot.
    Reading up on PTSD and the amygdala is a handy start in understanding its relationship with anxiety and what triggers fight and flight in people. Its also worth noting that there is a higher, direct correlation with childhood trauma and drug abuse than there is with being overweight and diabetic.

A few links: http://www.helpguide.org/articles/an...p-worrying.htm (wonderful, free website)
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...nalCode=upsy20 (scholar reference)
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...tb00408.x/full (scholar reference)
    http://www.thefix.com/content/trauma-and-addiction9180
    Last edited by Daymanmb; 2015-05-29 at 09:35 PM.

But lets be honest, the riots in Ferguson weren't because of a "rough ride" or police brutality.
    I don't have a particular issue with the officer's behavior in Ferguson, as we understand the details of what happened. I have no issue with a lack of charges or discipline.

But the riots in Ferguson were because of police brutality and lack of accountability. They were wrong, in that specific circumstance, but the fact that these communities feel that 1) police run roughshod over them and 2) aren't held accountable for doing so is what sparks these reactions.

I'm not condoning riots. Destroying other peoples' property because somebody else was abused is stupid, and anybody who did it should be arrested and face the music. But the answer to riots over police behavior is ensure police behavior is appropriate and, when it is not, that it is handled appropriately. I already think we're plenty tough on criminals, especially minority ones.

As far as the "question is bullshit" comment, I mean simply that police are plenty protected while they do their jobs already, as evidenced by the fact that even when they clearly do things wrong they rarely find themselves in any trouble whatsoever. I don't doubt your sincerity, I doubt that it needs to be specifically addresses at all.

If they knew it was justified, they wouldn't have been that mad. But they didn't think it was justified, and it was because of the race to play the race card by many, instead of actually letting the facts play out.
    Turns out you're exactly correct -- it wasn't unjustified in this incident. But again, see the fact that large parts of a community are willing to not only leap instantly to the conclusion that it was unjustified, but to continue to hold to that to belief to this day. They are clearly not a group who believes that justice is ultimately served. Things like "hands up, don't shoot" didn't create the reaction -- they resonated because the feelings were already there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tasttey View Post
    I really wish people would stop with this "protect and serve" bullshit.
    Doesn't make it bullshit. It's on half of their damn squad cars. That they don't have to live up to their mottos, well, I guarantee nobody bringing it up believed that they were forced to, just that they should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    -snip -
    And so my sailing in this thread has come to an end, thanks for taking the time to give me the links ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Forgottenone View Post
    And so my sailing in this thread has come to an end, thanks for taking the time to give me the links ^_^
    Youre neat!

well said!!
    This is good. Well posted.

Police in the US are hired by their cities. Los Angeles police are hired, trained and supervised by the city of Los Angeles and no one else.

If you have a poor city, you have a hard time hiring police officers because you are competing with rich cities who can afford to pay. Some body has to scrape the bottom of the barrel when it comes to hiring police officers and the poor cities get the worst.

Poor cities often see the most crime so while they can't afford to hire the best, they need the best.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland