Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Considering the planet is home to almost ten billion, I'd say that figure is wrong.

Also, the counter to this is that immigration into first world countries cuts the birth rate as a whole.
    Derp. Yeah. I typed million instead of billion. My mistake. The point being that we are rapidly approaching the point where we should, in theory, stop growing as a population.

There are population migration theories based on that. However, population theories have tended to blow-up when humans are involved. Technological advances break models.

15+ Year Old Account

That is actually on a plaque on the statue of liberty.

Immigration was much easier in the past. Show up on a boat and get a social security number. Now it's much like the boomers, they got their success off strong social policies that created the middle class, now they want to pull up that ladder so future generations can't meet the same success.

Immigrate here in an incredibly lax immigration system. A few generations later, pretend immigrants are causing a certain problem, and scream "DEPORT" until you finally get what you want and destroy economies.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2015-05-30 at 01:31 AM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeriel View Post
    Derp. Yeah. I typed million instead of billion. My mistake. The point being that we are rapidly approaching the point where we should, in theory, stop growing as a population.
    Current population projections from the UN suggest a peak world population of roughly 11 billion around the end of the century.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    So when not complaining about the poor being lazy and on welfare and not doing certain jobs, you target those that do by kicking them out of the country, well played!
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

it's not the first time we've had immigrant hate. immigration didn't destroy the country a century ago and it won't now.

as someone who grew up in alabama i can say without a doubt that it's a shit state. so are many of the people in it. imagine the worst of religious white people and that's what what you have. one of the crappiest public school systems. they are obsessed with high school/college football and deathly afraid of science.

but maybe others had a better experience than me?

anyways, it's no surprise that people don't want to work hard for low wages. i've been friends with several hispanic immigrant families and every single one of them lived 5+ to a home not counting kids. usually one married couple, an elderly parent, and a brother/sister or cousin. some of them did work low wage jobs, but their household had several incomes. not just one or two. obviously this isn't representative of every single immigrant family.

i imagine a lot of the white people showing up for those hard farming jobs were either living alone or with a friend or family member. there's no way in hell one or two low wage jobs are gonna support a family and all the bills that come with it.

if a hard job can pay enough to cover bills without needing welfare or charity then even "soft" white people will do it. that's not really an immigration problem. it doesn't matter what the job is, if you put in an honest days work you should be able to support a small family without needing government welfare or food from the local charity.
    Last edited by Blur4stuff; 2015-05-30 at 05:41 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    it's not the first time we've had immigrant hate. immigration didn't destroy the country a century ago and it won't now.
    True that, immigration has built this country. But certain political alignments have always resisted outsiders.

2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    On your wall of anecdotal garbage? I agree.

It's a well known fact that migrant workers take the jobs that white people won't do even if they are available. This is a good thing, as it provides (theoretically) a path of mobility for immigrants.
    So your telling me the life I've lived and see first hand and live in today that's its anecdotal garbage. This coming from a guy in Seattle That prob don't know the first thing about farming or farm workers.

White people will and did those jobs and will again I see it first hand I see white people go to the Packing houses and Farmers and ask for jobs and the packing house turns them down weather they are pickers, packers, sorters or 4 cliff drivers it is BS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Starscream101 View Post
    So your telling me the life I've lived and see first hand and live in today that's its anecdotal garbage.
    You do understand the definition of the term 'anecdotal', yes?

White people will and did those jobs and will again I see it first hand I see white people go to the Packing houses and Farmers and ask for jobs and the packing house turns them down weather they are pickers, packers, sorters or 4 cliff drivers it is BS.
    Given apparently how incapable white people are at tolerating other cultures I'm hardly surprised they aren't desirable in an integrated workplace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    So your telling me the life I've lived and see first hand and live in today that's its anecdotal garbage. This coming from a guy in Seattle That prob don't know the first thing about farming or farm workers.

That is what ancedotal IS. Using your own personal experience and applying it as truth everywhere. Its apparanmt that in Alabama, white unemployed people do not want to do them.

10+ Year Old Account
    You do understand the definition of the term 'anecdotal', yes?

Given apparently how incapable white people are at tolerating other cultures I'm hardly surprised they aren't desirable in an integrated workplace.
    pertaining to, resembling, or containing and you called it garbage. And saying white people are incapable of at tolerating other cultures that is anecdotal garbage right there.
    Last edited by Starscream101; 2015-05-30 at 02:24 AM.

pertaining to, resembling, or containing
    That is not the correct definition for 'anecdotal.'

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by timberx View Post
    That is not the correct definition for 'anecdotal.'
    Its one of them just not the one you where looking for.

pertaining to, resembling, or containing and you called it garbage.
    an·ec·do·tal
    /ˌanəkˈdōdl/
    adjective

(of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.
    anecdotal
    [an-ik-doht-l, an-ik-doht-l]

based on personal observation, case study reports, or random investigations rather than systematic scientific evaluation
    You cut off your own definition, btw.

Its one of them just not the one you where looking for.
    I assume you pulled the definition from dictionary.com since it's so similar, but you failed to include the last word:

1. pertaining to, resembling, or containing anecdotes

Edit: Beaten to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah and its still not garbage I see it every day They all so said the world was flat and hey remember that people where killed for being witches too you know Till real life happens and they see for them self's. I see it every day there are lots of white people who would and do those jobs everywhere that is not a problem.

Mostly its the farmers not the workers I see it first hand I live it and those articles are so one sides and have there own agendas you cant believe everything the media puts in front of you.

Yeah and its still not garbage I see it every day They all so said the world was flat
    True but that wasn't a prevalent opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    It took just six weeks after HB 56 went into effect for state legislators to start having second thoughts about their actions.

On November 16, 2011, police in Tuscaloosa stopped a driver for not having the proper tag on his rental car. Normally, this would have been a minor citation. But the driver did not have a license on him, only a German ID card, and that triggered what was supposed to be HB 56’s most powerful weapon against illegal immigration. Under the law, police were now required to arrest the man, haul him to court, and detain him until federal immigration authorities determined his fate, no matter how long that took.

As it turned out, the driver was an executive at Mercedes-Benz. The European car giant was one of several foreign auto companies in the state whose plants provide thousands of much-needed jobs.
    Well he had His ID card like he is suppose to do. But what he did not have license to drive on him. Maybe just like when I went over seas I could not drive in that country because i did not go threw their process to get a license to drive there. So he broke the law and they took him in Him being a executive Mercedes-Benz has nothing to do with breaking the law.

Well he had His ID card like he is suppose to do. But what he did not have license to drive on him. Maybe just like when I went over seas I could not drive in that country because i did not go threw their process to get a license to drive there. So he broke the law and they took him in Him being a executive Mercedes-Benz has nothing to do with breaking the law.
    It matters to the part where they almost threw him out the country for flashing a German ID. If the story began and ended with "He was driving without a license and got the usual punishment", then you would have a point.

I didn't say what you quoted so I'm a little confused.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think people of all backgrounds and all walks of life should take a reality check, just because you put your name on something doesn't mean it's yours, I mean on paper and according to the law you might, unless or until someone bigger, badder and stronger comes along and objects.

The point is if you want people to respect your turf or territory you better start off by observing and respecting theirs, and lets be honest we are a long fucking ways from that historically. I am strangely OK with people coming to this country of any background and working and paying taxes into a system I enjoy, COME ON IN!

As long as they are obeying all the other laws while here.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis