Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Remove the smart kids from public education and put them all in a different school. For the ones who don't make the cut perhaps give them coloring books or something.
    Define 'smart'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Define 'smart'.
    Ones who can read, write, and do math at or above their grade level.

Ones who can read, write, and do math at or above their grade level.
    at grade level? Doesn't that make you average?

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post
    Education doesn't exist just in schools. It starts at home. Improve the part at home, and the kids/young adults will be more receptive to education at school. Upbringing is extremely important in attitude in the formative years.
    Entitlements destroyed the inner city family by paying people for bad behavior and decision making. The collapse of the stable 2 parent household is the biggest factor in kids growing up on the streets learning how to hustle from older kids instead of learning from the good example set by their parents.

Girls of single mothers having fatherless babies and young men being killed and arrested, both sides of the family collapse feed the vicious cycle.

That's because it's a self fulfilling prophecy.

Or are you going to continue this rubbish line of reasoning and suggest whites can't teach blacks next?
    I don't remember if the teaching staff was all black or not.

But suppose an all male student body with an all male teaching staff worked and grades shot up. Then what?

I think the macho is the keystone to the whole problem. How do you battle macho?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirPiken View Post
    Entitlements destroyed the inner city family by paying people for bad behavior and decision making. The collapse of the stable 2 parent household is the biggest factor in kids growing up on the streets learning how to hustle from older kids instead of learning from the good example set by their parents.

Girls of single mothers having fatherless babies and young men being killed and arrested, both sides of the family collapse feed the vicious cycle.
    You're implying that the nuclear family is anywhere remotely near ideal for child rearing.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    What if they don't want to learn anything?, If that was the case anything you tried to teach them would have to be shoved down their throats.
    If they don't want to learn anything, then forcing them to learn it won't work either: they will "learn" it enough to pass tests, and forget it instantly. It has been proven over, and over, and over, that high school physics doesn't make people not interested in physics into physicists - in fact, they hardly remember anything from their physics courses a day after graduation.

I think education should be aimed at letting people wishing to learn do it in the most effective manner. Everyone learns some basic things just as they live and interact with people, and one doesn't need anything beyond that to work on a simple job. Education available to everyone is like music available to everyone: it is shallow, mainstream, boring, repetitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I don't remember if the teaching staff was all black or not.

But suppose an all male student body with an all male teaching staff worked and grades shot up. Then what?

I think the macho is the keystone to the whole problem. How do you battle macho?
    Education and attempting to disintegrate the culturally imposed barriers between the sexes.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    at grade level? Doesn't that make you average?
    Ok so take average and above students out of public schools and give them a school where they can excel instead of being dragged down to the lowest common denominator.

Education and attempting to disintegrate the culturally imposed barriers between the sexes.
    If they become educated, sexism will decrease. The trick is getting them educated.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok so take average and above students out of public schools and give them a school where they can excel instead of being dragged down to the lowest common denominator.
    This 'dragging' actually doesn't exist.

You're implying that the nuclear family is anywhere remotely near ideal for child rearing.
    You're implying that 2 stable parents working together towards the same goals isn't better than 1? I guess you could make a case for some kind of commune living or polygamous family but in most western societies this won't really fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirPiken View Post
    You're implying that 2 stable parents working together towards the same goals isn't better than 1? I guess you could make a case for some kind of commune living or polygamous family but in most western societies this won't really fly.
    I was actually referring to the extended family model.

Uh...what school doesn't already offer advanced classes, or grade skips?

Where did you go to school. I went in a bad area and feel it caused me to suffer. Not responsible for my failing in life, but it did its part.

I wouldn't say the nuclear family is, but the structure is certainly worth looking at. One care taker at home at all times to instruct and correct, one working hard to provide to set an example of what personal responsibility actually looks like - that sounds like about as ideal of a child-rearing situation as there could be. Certainly not infallible, but far better than one parent who is only around for 10-20 waking hours per week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Sure it does, the ones who aren't interested in learning only disrupt the ones who are interested in learning.

I really don't think the other kids drag others down...

- - - Updated - - -

Sure it does, the ones who aren't interested in learning only disrupt the ones who are interested in learning.
    I was never disrupted. It was very easy to ignore people.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Uh...what school doesn't already offer advanced classes, or grade skips?
    No they need to be completely separated from the ones who don't want to learn. Different classes wont work, they need to be in different parts of town.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your source for this is....what.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    I wouldn't say the nuclear family is, but the structure is certainly worth looking at. One care taker at home at all times to instruct and correct, one working hard to provide to set an example of what personal responsibility actually looks like - that sounds like about as ideal of a child-rearing situation as there could be. Certainly not infallible, but far better than one parent who is only around for 10-20 waking hours per week.
    Again, extended family.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Where did you go to school. I went in a bad area and feel it caused me to suffer. Not responsible for my failing in life, but it did its part.
    Sounds like a personal failing on your part.