Poll: Do you think Splace Colinization will happen in your lifetime?

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Post Do you think Space Colinization will happen in your lifetime?

I'm of the opinion yes but at 31 currently, I expect to live the rest of my days on Earth.

In terms of what will be colonized first, my guess is the Moon for the profit to be gained from mining it. After the moon, then Mars 10 years after the first two sustainable Lunar Colonies are estanlished. I say two Lunar Colonies just to make sure the first can be replicated XD

What about you guys?

EDIT: Attached a poll.
    Last edited by Aurabolt; 2015-05-27 at 08:13 PM.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

I want to believe there will be, but the cynic in me says no, not in the 70ish years it'll take me to die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably. China will probably start doing it and then the US will feel compelled to do it as well. China is already planning manned moon missions. And by space colonization I mean we will probably have a permanent presence on the moon. MAYBE on Mars in my lifetime. Nothing more than that, not in 55 years.

15+ Year Old Account
    Voted no, but I do think there will be very small research stations. Don't think that's what is meant by colinization here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... the definition of colonization is to travel to a place and cultivate crops. So yea, I can see a farm on the moon or mars in my lifetime.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    As opposed to farms in CA, which might be gone by then.
    Only the ones in the desert. The ones where I am will be fine. Mostly small farms producing crops for local consumption.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

7+ Year Old Account
    I voted yes, and for the space station aspect. If we can get an operating, close to self sustaining station somewhere in between here and Mars, which is one of the plans out there if I remember correctly, that will open up SO many other doors to space exploration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I wonder if she ever visits Jisreal. It’s like Isreal, but for Jews.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think in my life time Bio engineered humans and bioengineered enhancements for humans could be possible (when I'm entering my 80s) but I don't think I'll be around for space colonization.

Would be so cool to be alive when they are terraforming a planter

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL, I know, I was just being facetious.

But there are people here, some I have spoken to, who are farmers and that is the story they keep telling each other. That CA will soon ban all farming.
    I wish... instead we're giving water to farmers at below market rates and watching them waste it in open air irrigation systems where it evaporates and ends up in Colorado, where we then buy water back from.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    No, the powers that be seem really interested in feuding with one another and ignoring any sort of proactive planning for something like this before another 50-80 years passes. It'll be my generation that takes hold of the reins and starts to get that sort of thing going. The state that we're left in after the adults are done bickering, that'll dictate how long it'll take for us to see any results.
    Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2015-05-27 at 08:35 PM.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

When you get down to it, there's not much reason to colonize space other than proving we can do it. Harsh environments, death if you get a breach, lots of stuff have to be imported.

I think it might exist as an extreme sport.

If there are resources we need that we can't get on earth, let robots do the work.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korlok View Post
    I voted yes, and for the space station aspect. If we can get an operating, close to self sustaining station somewhere in between here and Mars, which is one of the plans out there if I remember correctly, that will open up SO many other doors to space exploration.
    Yeah, we know from how the Americas were opened up that with space, outposts will be key to colonizing the Solar System. Said Space Stations would be strategically placed so that they can service ships and crew traveling between planets.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    When you get down to it, there's not much reason to colonize space other than proving we can do it. Harsh environments, death if you get a breach, lots of stuff have to be imported.

If there are resources we need that we can't get on earth, let robots do the work.
    I disagree. Space exploration has the potential to catapult our technological advances if we really invested heavily in it, as many of the challenges presented are the kinds of things that will take a major breakthrough, which would translate into other areas of life for us as a species.

I also think that there is the soul of the adventurer living within our collective consciousness. Moving out into space is the ultimate adventure, and will lead to a sense of fulfillment broader than anything we have ever know. imo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I wonder if she ever visits Jisreal. It’s like Isreal, but for Jews.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

You do understand that the computer you are typing this on exists in no small part due to space exploration?

-Kujako-

If some anti-aging scientists have the break throughs they are looking for...definite yes. Probably after a few wars thought. But medical tech is starting to show the possibility to stop aging, and if that happens the human race will have three choices

A: Government regulated population control.
    B: Endless wars of dwindling resources on an ever more overpopulated planet.
    C: Start colonizing space.

Deleted
    Well, hopefully age reversal, or at least a longer lifespan will be a thing before you actually die.
    Maybe, but not for the average person.

OT: I think around end of the century-ish. Bigger question would be what would country will be first.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    I voted spacestation. We're gonna need one to really get anything done farther than the moon. Even then, moon missions aren't cheap, and the ISS is much more viable for long-term colonization.

Not really.
    There will be exploration bases everywhere, but never a full colony. I can't see humanity surviving long enough as a species to achieve that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccombustable View Post
    If some anti-aging scientists have the break throughs they are looking for...definite yes. Probably after a few wars thought. But medical tech is starting to show the possibility to stop aging, and if that happens the human race will have three choices

A: Government regulated population control.
    B: Endless wars of dwindling resources on an ever more overpopulated planet.
    C: Start colonizing space.
    Colonization is not a solution to the overpopulation problem, that's extremely dumb.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2015-05-27 at 09:24 PM.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but only at very early stages with one generation of Humans born in space at most.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we first have to ask Colin if he wants so many people on him.