Thread: New X-COM

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Apparently it's coming this very year. Very good news indeed.

It's probably time to try XCOM, i got a copy of the game and haven't tried it yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    ufo: the enemy unknown is the first game i played on pc in 1994.

if i don't die because of nerdgasm, i will play the shit out of it !
    war does not determine who is right, only who is left.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Farron View Post
    It's probably time to try XCOM, i got a copy of the game and haven't tried it yet.
    You really should. It's one of the best turn based tactics experiences out there. Be warned though. It's extremely difficult and extremely addicting.

Be right back, putting in my leave slip.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now the urge to finish my long war campaign is even stronger

Quote Originally Posted by axell View Post
    You really should. It's one of the best turn based tactics experiences out there. Be warned though. It's extremely difficult and extremely addicting.
    Sounds cool, I watched some gameplays and it looked awesome. I don't know if its because I'm getting older, but I'm liking turn based games a lot lately.
    The soundtrack of the game also is awesome, I listen it to study. It is composed by Micheal McCann, who also made the Deus Ex: HR sountrack, booth amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Picked up XCOM: EU on a whim shortly after it came out and I fell in love with it. Unfortunately, it's a PC exclusive which makes me salty because I think it's horrible business practice to release a game on a system (or family of systems) and not release the sequel on that system *cough* Rise of the Tomb Raider *cough*. Looks like I'll have to pass on it for now.

I just hope it'll not be as dumbed down as the recent releases.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Hopefully it'll be better than the previous game and/or be more mod friendly. While XCOM:EU wasn't *bad*, the game was fairly dumbed down with poor AI that had to have significantly high crit chances to even begin to become a challenge. There were some mods that fixed this, adding much much needed depth, variety and difficulty to the game, but they were a PITA to use (thanks to Firaxis). Also, please don't shuffle abilities around based on which ones are available.

10+ Year Old Account
    So XCOM:EU was the first game in a LONG time that I legitimately lost time with. Like I would sit down at 8pm, then look at the clock and it was 4AM. The fact the story kept going even if you fail a mission was great, and I am really looking forward the XCOM2. I'm just hoping they don't make it quite as easy as Enemy Within, where the Mechs pretty much made the game "easymode".

sweeeeeeet

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    So XCOM:EU was the first game in a LONG time that I legitimately lost time with. Like I would sit down at 8pm, then look at the clock and it was 4AM. The fact the story kept going even if you fail a mission was great, and I am really looking forward the XCOM2. I'm just hoping they don't make it quite as easy as Enemy Within, where the Mechs pretty much made the game "easymode".
    from what I gathered we lost the first war and now we're guerilla's so..no mechs I think, but yeah, mechs made it lolstomp

I hope they put some more thought into the character system and balancing. The game is only hard for the first two months. Afterwards if you teched correctly it gets much much easier. I also hope the events are less predictable. A hardmode run in XCOM always comes down to: I need this before day X. Didnt get it --> Restart.

Also some things should just be baseline. Having to rush the officer school for the squad size upgrade is just stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    from what I gathered we lost the first war and now we're guerilla's so..no mechs I think, but yeah, mechs made it lolstomp
    Still wandering how that should have happened. The aliens on the first assault weren't really interested in coexisting. Hard to believe this are the same aliens.

My wishes.

Less RNG. Give more shots that cost less AP but deal less damage overall.
    More varied events, more extensive base building including defensive structures for invasios (that should happen)
    Proper aimed shots with different effects when hit
    More varied map design, larger maps and mission types
    If you want to keep team size down, at least then give larger and more varied talent trees
    BETTER AI and more varied alien troops

Those are just off-hand I remember annoying me in the nu-XCOM that should be addressed.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    I don't think I've ever played with mechs. Does that mean it's something I should try?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    My wishes.

Less RNG. Give more shots that cost less AP but deal less damage overall.
    More varied events, more extensive base building including defensive structures for invasios (that should happen)
    Proper aimed shots with different effects when hit
    More varied map design, larger maps and mission types
    If you want to keep team size down, at least then give larger and more varied talent trees
    BETTER AI and more varied alien troops

Those are just off-hand I remember annoying me in the nu-XCOM that should be addressed.
    I do believe they've heard you: http://xcom.com/#overview

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    I don't think I've ever played with mechs. Does that mean it's something I should try?
    Give it a spin. With 2 Mechs you will be hard pressed to find anything that can stop you. Initially I thought they would be balanced by being unable to take cover (and you KNOW what happens to normal soldiers caught out of cover), but with the Mechs they are just too durable. Combo that with the ridiculous damage they could deal and good movement...there is basically no downside.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    I do believe they've heard you: http://xcom.com/#overview
    I'll believe when I see something concrete instead of marketing schemes.