Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    The doctor said that Burke was the only one who made it out that far on his own, without getting killed. He obviously does have special skills. It's just, as Cubby pointed out, Matt Dillon is a terrible actor.

Caught up on this last night.

It seems clear to me that there is some sort of portal between the two times, and that they really haven't been in cryosleep for over 2000 years. It's just more palatable to hear they were in an accident and then put in cryosleep. Thus, you have the whole "Don't tell your parents" thing because the adults would be more likely to think about these things, and want to go back through the portal, and kids are, in general, more accepting. So that once the parents finally die off (purge coming?!?) the kids just live in the reality constructed for them without ever thinking of going back to their home.

The place where he goes with the cars, and the orange and white floor color scheme is probably that portal. It even seems there's regular commerce coming through the portal, IE the truck he hid in, the maids who looked like they were clocking off but didn't live in Wayward Pines. This allows the Sheriff to pull over the wife in the past, and then go back home, in the future. I imagine only a few people have the privilege of going back and forth, the Sheriff was one (as the Enforcer), the Doctor is another.....and then strangely, Pam, the Nurse. She seems to be the major mystery, right now, of the power structure involved. Keep in mind, the teacher says the Doctor is "ALWAYS WATCHING" which suggests a command center, probably in the past/the portal place. After all, we haven't yet seen where he lives, have we?

Thus, the question is, why not make Wayward Pines more a fallout shelter, instead of populating it in the future with people from the past. When the aberrations come, why not retreat to it, like a Terminator/Skynet scenario? Or, if you have a portal between two places, why not go back and live in the past?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. Not buying the cryosleep thing. The wifes car looked pretty damn good for being 2k years old.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Caught up on this last night.

It seems clear to me that there is some sort of portal between the two times, and that they really haven't been in cryosleep for over 2000 years. It's just more palatable to hear they were in an accident and then put in cryosleep. Thus, you have the whole "Don't tell your parents" thing because the adults would be more likely to think about these things, and want to go back through the portal, and kids are, in general, more accepting. So that once the parents finally die off (purge coming?!?) the kids just live in the reality constructed for them without ever thinking of going back to their home.
    A portal back, while possible, is unlikely. If there was a portal it would open up the possibility of changing history almost constantly, even so far as damaging the project or staving off whatever event led to the calamity.

The place where he goes with the cars, and the orange and white floor color scheme is probably that portal. It even seems there's regular commerce coming through the portal, IE the truck he hid in, the maids who looked like they were clocking off but didn't live in Wayward Pines. This allows the Sheriff to pull over the wife in the past, and then go back home, in the future. I imagine only a few people have the privilege of going back and forth, the Sheriff was one (as the Enforcer), the Doctor is another.....and then strangely, Pam, the Nurse. She seems to be the major mystery, right now, of the power structure involved. Keep in mind, the teacher says the Doctor is "ALWAYS WATCHING" which suggests a command center, probably in the past/the portal place. After all, we haven't yet seen where he lives, have we?
    I can see where the cleaning/clearing staff and their base would give credibility to some kind of portal, but those people would then know of the entire event, the apocalypse and what the Doctor is planning. And the regular commerce is an issue, such as where are they getting all the material to build these houses, and the period material to fill the homes and shops for the people of Wayward. Having a portal open to bring this material forward would make sense, however, an existing portal lends itself to more problems than it solves.

Which is why:

Thus, the question is, why not make Wayward Pines more a fallout shelter, instead of populating it in the future with people from the past. When the aberrations come, why not retreat to it, like a Terminator/Skynet scenario? Or, if you have a portal between two places, why not go back and live in the past?
    Wayward isn't a fallout shelter at all, nor is it 2,000 years in the future. More than likely it's an experiment based on a premise similar to an apocalypse, and they are testing to see how people react.

The biggest problem with this scenario is the time differences that each resident of Wayward experiences. Kate with 12 years "in country", so to speak, poses the biggest problem here because Burke just spoke with her 5 weeks ago.

Spoilers from the books: They all were frozen, there is no time portal, and I guess they did try telling everyone but like a third of the ppl killed themselves and a third just decided to sit around and do jack shit and not contribute, so they refroze everyone they had thawed out and it gave them amnesia or something. Basically the whole mountain has a base inside it where they keep all the supplies they stocked up on 2000 years ago but its running out of supplies.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    Spoilers from the books:
    Thanks for spoiler tagging the books stuff - I didn't even know it was from a book (not surprised of course).

Let's make sure we keep the book discussion separate - this thread is only for the show.
    Last edited by cubby; 2015-06-18 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    A portal back, while possible, is unlikely. If there was a portal it would open up the possibility of changing history almost constantly, even so far as damaging the project or staving off whatever event led to the calamity.
    I don't know what's in the spoiler tag, but a portal makes sense to me: both the Doctor and Sheriff have appeared in what is supposed to be 2k years ago. And the Realtor says that he slept with Pam in "the past" and when he woke up, she was in Wayward Pines, but older. I guess they could have voluntarily put themselves in the cryosleep when they were like "Okay, set the alarm," but why?

Furthermore, as someone pointed out, the time thing is inconsistent. Kate says she's been gone 12 years, the woman whose throat was slit disappeared in like 1994 but had only been there a year. That lines up with cryosleep and coming out in a random order. This would explain why Pam was older than the realtor remembered, because obviously if she's part of the experiment, she would have been one of the first people to unfreeze.

IDK, there definitely exists a supply problem.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I don't know what's in the spoiler tag, but a portal makes sense to me: both the Doctor and Sheriff have appeared in what is supposed to be 2k years ago. And the Realtor says that he slept with Pam in "the past" and when he woke up, she was in Wayward Pines, but older. I guess they could have voluntarily put themselves in the cryosleep when they were like "Okay, set the alarm," but why?

Furthermore, as someone pointed out, the time thing is inconsistent. Kate says she's been gone 12 years, the woman whose throat was slit disappeared in like 1994 but had only been there a year. That lines up with cryosleep and coming out in a random order. This would explain why Pam was older than the realtor remembered, because obviously if she's part of the experiment, she would have been one of the first people to unfreeze.

IDK, there definitely exists a supply problem.
    I didn't read the spoiler tagged stuff, either - I just quoted it to respectfully request no book spoilers in the tv show thread.

The current story line works best with the cryosleep and the inconsistent times, as you pointed out. But the main characters, the Doctor, Pam, and the Sheriff all could have been put to cryosleep and then woken up at the appropriate time (the alarm, as you pointed out). There are a couple of problems with that hypothesis. The biggest of which is how did they know when to wake up.

However, there are many problems with the Portal hypothesis as well. Namely, if they can move back and forth in time, why are they fixating on one particular point rather than doing something more significant. It seems like if time travel exists, their choices are piss poor. The answer to that, however, is somehow they just have this one particular portal, rather than god-like time travel abilities - and perhaps even they can only go through the Portal a limited number of times.

From what I've seen the actions of the people in the past could still be consistent with a cryosleep solution, everyone having gone under, including the Doctor, and then waking up later. The "staff" and the supplies could have been stored up beforehand, or they could be scavenging, or some other solution that isn't obvious.

Or it's something else entirely and all of this is moot.