10+ Year Old Account

Computer Cabinet Cooling

I'm building a desk that houses the case inside of a cabinet (I have critters). I want to do more than drill some holes into the cabinet, I want to put some actual case fans into the cabinet but I'm having trouble finding any helpful guides. I'm not sure if I'm just not searching for the right thing or what.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopajoo View Post
    I'm building a desk that houses the case inside of a cabinet (I have critters). I want to do more than drill some holes into the cabinet, I want to put some actual case fans into the cabinet but I'm having trouble finding any helpful guides. I'm not sure if I'm just not searching for the right thing or what.
    There was a fairly recent linustechtips video of him doing something similar with his HTPC - have a look on Youtube for it and if you have no luck i will post a link when i get out of this meeting

I actually did something similar put with my old media center furniture. I had a HTPC and a number of other devices in it and it had terrible ventilation. I picked up a couple 200mm low DB/high CFM computer case fans, measure where the mounting hole are and then cut holes in the back of the media center to mount them (the bottom fan cold air intake, and the top hot air exhaust).

After that you will need to figure out a source of power, they are extremely low power units so you don't need much, there are a number of solution. They make fan controllers you can buy that will work, or you can wire it to your PC directly so that they only run while the PC is on (this is probably the most preferable solution). For me I was unable to do that because I am running a Mac Mini running Win8.1, so I actually stripped an old cell phone charger I had (making sure that the voltage/amplitude would not burn out the fans. I then soldered the fans into the charger and applied electrical tape to each individual connection and then the whole thing so it looked like one piece. I then set that up an a $10 wireless remote switch so I could turn it on and off as desired.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lordmatthias View Post
    I actually did something similar put with my old media center furniture. I had a HTPC and a number of other devices in it and it had terrible ventilation. I picked up a couple 200mm low DB/high CFM computer case fans, measure where the mounting hole are and then cut holes in the back of the media center to mount them (the bottom fan cold air intake, and the top hot air exhaust).

After that you will need to figure out a source of power, they are extremely low power units so you don't need much, there are a number of solution. They make fan controllers you can buy that will work, or you can wire it to your PC directly so that they only run while the PC is on (this is probably the most preferable solution). For me I was unable to do that because I am running a Mac Mini running Win8.1, so I actually stripped an old cell phone charger I had (making sure that the voltage/amplitude would not burn out the fans. I then soldered the fans into the charger and applied electrical tape to each individual connection and then the whole thing so it looked like one piece. I then set that up an a $10 wireless remote switch so I could turn it on and off as desired.
    I want to try doing it without hooking the fans to the PC itself. I have a couple of power supplies laying around that I'd love to repurpose!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tuesdaywastaken View Post
    There was a fairly recent linustechtips video of him doing something similar with his HTPC - have a look on Youtube for it and if you have no luck i will post a link when i get out of this meeting
    Hahaha! Nice! If you think of it, please post the link!

Got it

Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxAU...ion_3113535363

Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=704tq8E7S1w

Might not be spot on what you need - but it helped me make my mind up about some stuff.

Deleted
    Here may be a few ideas as well in regards to build, sound reduction etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZoX7glIAS4

Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    Here may be a few ideas as well in regards to build, sound reduction etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZoX7glIAS4
    Nice to see Theon Greyjoy is keeping well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuesdaywastaken View Post
    Nice to see Theon Greyjoy is keeping well.
    REEK

and lol