Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Becoming disabled by choice, not chance: ‘Transabled.'

Transabled people feel like impostors in their fully working bodies.

OTTAWA — When he cut off his right arm with a “very sharp power tool,” a man who now calls himself One Hand Jason let everyone believe it was an accident.

But he had for months tried different means of cutting and crushing the limb that never quite felt like his own, training himself on first aid so he wouldn’t bleed to death, even practicing on animal parts sourced from a butcher.

“My goal was to get the job done with no hope of reconstruction or re-attachment, and I wanted some method that I could actually bring myself to do.

His goal was to become disabled.

People like Jason have been classified as ‘‘transabled’’ — feeling like imposters in their bodies, their arms and legs in full working order.

“We define transability as the desire or the need for a person identified as able-bodied by other people to transform his or her body to obtain a physical impairment,” says Alexandre Baril, a Quebec born academic who will present on “transability” at this week’s Congress of the Social Sciences and Humanities at the University of Ottawa.

MELANIE PROVENCHERAlexandre Baril, a Quebec born academic who will present on "transability" at this week's Congress of the Social Sciences and Humanities at the University of Ottawa. Baril himself is not transabled.
    “The person could want to become deaf, blind, amputee, paraplegic. It’s a really, really strong desire.”

What are your thoughts on this? Is it a real thing or a mental disorder?

Chloe Jennings-White adjusting her leg braces at her home on May 16, 2013 in Salt Lake City, Utah. Chloe-Jennings White wears leg braces and uses a wheelchair, even though her legs work fine, and she does not need them.

15+ Year Old Account
    There is a genuine mental disorder that causes people to feel like one or more of their limbs doesn't belong to them, and it supposedly feels so scary/messed up/wrong that a lot of them do try to cut it off themselves or even request surgery to remove them.

Those people do get a lot of therapy though, because they really need it..

That's completely different from just wanting to be disabled though, that's just a psychological disorder at best and incredibly idiotic at worst.

10+ Year Old Account
    THIS is a mental disorder. I sympathize with and try to understand transgenders, but this is just fucking dumb. You have a perfectly functioning body, and you feel like you should be disabled? Get help. NOW.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

This is completely fucked.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Can I be Transdead, can someone make that happen please?

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Can I be Transdead, can someone make that happen please?
    You keep what you kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    You eat what you kill.
    Fixed that for you Tradewind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardhyn View Post
    Now this is just blatant trolling, at least before you had the credibility of maybe being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.

This shit was just posted and the thread locked by a moderator.

Yes, it's a severe compulsive disorder. We do not need threads dedicated to bashing the mentally ill. Move on with your life.

This seriously sounds like an Onion article. If it's real, it should definitely be considered a mental disorder.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, this is Munchausen, but with taking action to make symptoms true?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Draeth View Post
    This shit was just posted and the thread locked by a moderator.

Yes, it's a severe compulsive disorder. We do not need threads dedicated to bashing the mentally ill. Move on with your life.
    It was locked because it started off badly

10+ Year Old Account
    When I fucked my back up my girlfriend ordered me a wheelchair at Larnaca airport. It was pretty cool, they pushed me through all the queues and I got on the plane first, and when I was waiting in the departure lounge I was doing wheelies.

The dopey tart didn't order one for Malta airport though, so I had to walk and stuff, which was nowhere near as much fun.

Being disabled for an hour or so was pretty sweet and I can see the appeal for the woman in the photo. Not so sure about the bloke chopping off his arm, that seems a bit mental.

Deleted
    Retards... No sympathy or respect AT ALL.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    You keep what you kill.
    See you in the underverse fam.

Deleted
    I don't understand why the fuck anyone would want to become disabled by choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by speehs View Post
    This seriously sounds like an Onion article. If it's real, it should definitely be considered a mental disorder.
    Here is a link to the article:
    http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...#__federated=1
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Deleted
    People are going full retard.

Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    THIS is a mental disorder. I sympathize with and try to understand transgenders, but this is just fucking dumb. You have a perfectly functioning body, and you feel like you should be disabled? Get help. NOW.
    So if you cut a fully functional dick you don't need help?

The one cutting off his arm has a serious mental disorder. The one pretending to need a wheelchair is just craving attention (which could also be some kind of disorder).

Anything can be harmful when taken to an extreme. Even moderation.

I can't wait for somebody to tell me these people don't have a mental disorder
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"