10+ Year Old Account
    Even at the end of its cycle, Dark Souls still filters the casuals out with Midir.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    You're supposed to attack its head. Not its legs. I mean you could but it would take forever. It's a solid fight overall, you're missing out by not doing it.
    Missing out? Missing out on what? A new covenant? Another generic dragon boss fight? I'm not seeing the value.

I get attacking the head, but depending on your build and loadout it gets a bit trickier. It reminds me of Amygdala in Bloodborne, an incredibly easy fight with the Axe, but incredibly difficult if using the Blades of Mercy. I suppose I could upgrade a bow and pluck away at it that way, but...there is not that much excitement in it (for me at least).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Even at the end of its cycle, Dark Souls still filters the casuals out with Midir.
    True. At the very end my casual status has been revealed. =(
    SWTOR Friend Referral Code: http://www.swtor.com/r/kg3Sch

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    Missing out? Missing out on what? A new covenant? Another generic dragon boss fight? I'm not seeing the value.

I get attacking the head, but depending on your build and loadout it gets a bit trickier. It reminds me of Amygdala in Bloodborne, an incredibly easy fight with the Axe, but incredibly difficult if using the Blades of Mercy. I suppose I could upgrade a bow and pluck away at it that way, but...there is not that much excitement in it (for me at least).

- - - Updated - - -

True. At the very end my casual status has been revealed. =(
    I feel like this is a classic case of "git gud." There's nothing wrong with the boss or its design other than you have to change up the way you fight it as you do with all the dragon bosses in the series due to camera issues.

It's your life so spend it how you want, but I don't understand how a series built around overcoming challenges has players who refuse to tackle some challenges.

Eugh.
    Borrowed a friends DS3 through steam. Uninstalled it, lost it, bought my own vers. and obviously my old chars were lost.

Rushing the DLC.
    Bah.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omnoms View Post
    Eugh.
    Borrowed a friends DS3 through steam. Uninstalled it, lost it, bought my own vers. and obviously my old chars were lost.

Rushing the DLC.
    Bah.
    Got a save ready for both DLCs if ya need, was in the same boat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I feel like this is a classic case of "git gud." There's nothing wrong with the boss or its design other than you have to change up the way you fight it as you do with all the dragon bosses in the series due to camera issues.

It's your life so spend it how you want, but I don't understand how a series built around overcoming challenges has players who refuse to tackle some challenges.
    I've played all the Soulsborne Series and Platinumed them all (except Demon Souls' Max Weapons and Spell Collection). The only thing I can say is that Midir failed to inspire me to fight it. As sad as it is to say, a Dragon fight in the Souls series is not that exciting without some sort of gimmick. Maybe I'm spoiled. I remember being excited to fight Sinh in DS2, and I also remember wanting to hit all optional bosses prior to Midir. But I also played Dragon's Dogma inbetween beating DS3 and the Ringed City, and I enjoyed fighting giant monsters by climbing on them so much more. So going back to the classic DS-style just seems...lame. That's the only thing I can figure out. I was excited to fight the Demon Prince and Gael just fine, its just Midir that had me walking away without regret. (Of course now I feel like I'm being shamed into beating it lest I lose my Souls-Cred!)

10+ Year Old Account
    I've played all the Soulsborne Series and Platinumed them all (except Demon Souls' Max Weapons and Spell Collection). The only thing I can say is that Midir failed to inspire me to fight it. As sad as it is to say, a Dragon fight in the Souls series is not that exciting without some sort of gimmick. Maybe I'm spoiled. I remember being excited to fight Sinh in DS2, and I also remember wanting to hit all optional bosses prior to Midir. But I also played Dragon's Dogma inbetween beating DS3 and the Ringed City, and I enjoyed fighting giant monsters by climbing on them so much more. So going back to the classic DS-style just seems...lame. That's the only thing I can figure out. I was excited to fight the Demon Prince and Gael just fine, its just Midir that had me walking away without regret. (Of course now I feel like I'm being shamed into beating it lest I lose my Souls-Cred!)
    Think about it this way, at least it's not as bad as the Ancient Dragon /shudder.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    I still think the dragon is the easiest boss from the DLC once you get the hang of it, his atks depend on your position, therefore you can keep baiting the atks that are easier to dodge, by standing in front of his face, he will do a 2 swipe + fire breath atk, giving you time to roll under him, place a mercury cloud and run to the tail for a couple of hits while evading the fire, after this he will often tail swipe that can almost one shot you =/

But yeah, Pestilent Mercury, a cheesy, but very effective way to deal with him, and I recommend going over the trouble of killing him at least once for the cov item.
    He killed me the most of all the bosses, but I'd have to agree. I could see myself struggling with Hardmode Demon Price or Gael down the road, but I've memorized Midir's moveset so well that I doubt he could really touch me now.

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    I still think the dragon is the easiest boss from the DLC once you get the hang of it, his atks depend on your position, therefore you can keep baiting the atks that are easier to dodge, by standing in front of his face, he will do a 2 swipe + fire breath atk, giving you time to roll under him, place a mercury cloud and run to the tail for a couple of hits while evading the fire, after this he will often tail swipe that can almost one shot you =/

But yeah, Pestilent Mercury, a cheesy, but very effective way to deal with him, and I recommend going over the trouble of killing him at least once for the cov item.
    The annoying thing about Midir (and Gael) is their massive health pools that make their fights more of a dreary chore. Even if you memorized all their moves, you spend more time rolling, dodging and running out than actually fighting. In the case of Midir you just let Pestilent Mercury tickle him to death while you hope he doesn't move out of the fucking cloud.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    The annoying thing about Midir (and Gael) is their massive health pools that make their fights more of a dreary chore. Even if you memorized all their moves, you spend more time rolling, dodging and running out than actually fighting. In the case of Midir you just let Pestilent Mercury tickle him to death while you hope he doesn't move out of the fucking cloud.
    I think them having more health is better than them having too little. It requires you to actually figure out them mechanics and master them. I can think of several bosses in the base game throughout the series that had interesting mechanics but their health was such that you could destroy them before their full moveset was revealed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree.

Although I was shamed into beating him. I fought him last night and after experimenting with a few ranged tactics, I ended up 2-Handing my Greatsword and doing what I knew I would have to do...attacked its back legs, its tail, and its belly for ~300 / swing. Headshots (usually after attacking his tail) took ~600 damage / swing. No time for any combo's though, you get one swing before he does a new attack. It took awhile to nail down, but I beat him with Estus to spare. I still maintain that its not a well designed or interesting boss fight. =p

Got a save ready for both DLCs if ya need, was in the same boat.
    Thanks for the offer, I've simply been powering through and noticed how rusty I had got. I definitely need the training!

When would you lot dive into the two DLC's?
    I've downed Lothric and his twin at 64. Concerned I'm underleveled.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omnoms View Post
    Thanks for the offer, I've simply been powering through and noticed how rusty I had got. I definitely need the training!

When would you lot dive into the two DLC's?
    I've downed Lothric and his twin at 64. Concerned I'm underleveled.
    DLC2 will fuck you up, wait till you're 85 at the very least. If you got extra points to spend, spend them on vigor, trust me on this. It's the hardest Souls content they've put up.

10+ Year Old Account
    DLC2 will fuck you up, wait till you're 85 at the very least. If you got extra points to spend, spend them on vigor, trust me on this. It's the hardest Souls content they've put up.
    Yes, this. There are some boss moves in Ringed City that will flat out kill you if your Vigor is too low. Damage is super high. But also, enemies give A LOT of souls. I gained maybe 15-20 levels in Ringed City.

If you can beat Lothric then I think you should be fine for Ashes. There are some tough spots, and the distance between bonfires is pretty far, but the enemies are not incredibly tough to beat (some exceptions may apply).

Also try to get Hidden Body sorcery, I hear it's working against the cancer angels after the latest patch.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

Also try to get Hidden Body sorcery, I hear it's working against the cancer angels after the latest patch.
    They nerfed the angel damage too. I really like the angels in that a little knowledge makes them super easy. Don't just try to man-mode them. Figure out where the pupae are and go for those and that area becomes super simple.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

I made a new character and been farming the first real boss and I got a question?

How are people getting to this boss and using dark spells and hitting for 500. Is there something I have missed, would really like to know since I am making a caster character.

Also I am level 20 and getting pulled into groups that want to kill dancer....wtf lol
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Well hitting that hard you would need the right Rings and Catalyst, and those rings are beyond the first boss. So either they are getting those items from a friend dropping them or something else is at play.

Well hitting that hard you would need the right Rings and Catalyst, and those rings are beyond the first boss. So either they are getting those items from a friend dropping them or something else is at play.
    K, They was using some staff I can't think of and a dark magic spell that hit like a truck. I figured it may be something they got from a friend, I ran into this player twice.

Was just making sure it wasn't something added with the DLC I missed.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

For +10 flask stuff, is there a way to know which areas you have already got the bone shard things from (whatever item used to increase the estus potency)? Or am I really blind and missing something in the UI

Midir was easy. DS3 was my first go around in the FROM series of games since Kings Field TAC/Kings Field 2. I kinda regret not getting in on the DS series sooner. I'm having a blast.

I died a lot to Midir, maybe 20 times before I realized I was trying too hard. Once I figured out to run out and not try to dodge the direct firebreath under him and get 2-3 hits on his head while he recovers it was guaranteed P2 everytime. Took me maybe 5-6 pulls in P2 to figure out how to make him NOT do the death laser spam, and then it was a kill. He has really predictable moveset. Moreso than most bosses IMO. I'm like level 90 I think?