Thread: Pokemon, Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    thats not what ivs are for. ivs are meant to act like birth marks or defects so that every pokemon is unique.

lil timmy raises a salamance its not identical to tommys salamance

thats ivs purpose, but it doesnt accomplish that purpose because kids give fuck all about stats anyway

competitive people manipulating a system that was designed to provide uniqueness has nothing to do with whether or not they should be kept.

making use of this code for all pokemon not just spinda would be a much better way of providing uniqueness

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...inda.27s_spots

"Spinda has four spots: two on its face, and one on each of its ears. Each byte in the personality value represents the coordinates of one of these spots. The x-coordinate is the lower four bits of the byte and the y-coordinate is the higher four bits of the byte. These coordinates determine the position of the top-left corner of the corresponding spot.

While this would appear to mean that Spinda's spots have as many possible variations as there are personality values (4,294,967,296), some coordinates will place a spot off of Spinda's body or such that one wholly overlaps another. Therefore, in practice, the number of observed variations is fewer. "

maybe my lucario has a white spot on its ear while lil timmys has one on its hand, or maybe my magikarp has an offcolour scal. not only would it be more reaistic but every pokemon would be even more unique, every nuzlocke that pokemon would look completely different from another
    Regardless of the original intent of ivs, competitive and competitive breeding are a whole nother part of the game that people enjoy. Competitive breeding isn't about making your pokemon unique, it is about making pokemon as powerful as they can be. Plaything through the game normally, you don't notice ivs for your pokemon although they do increase the difficulty of key opponents. The only change I think they should make to ivs is make them more visible than just hints form 1 guy in the post game area.

10+ Year Old Account
    thats not what ivs are for. ivs are meant to act like birth marks or defects so that every pokemon is unique.

lil timmy raises a salamance its not identical to tommys salamance

thats ivs purpose, but it doesnt accomplish that purpose because kids give fuck all about stats anyway

competitive people manipulating a system that was designed to provide uniqueness has nothing to do with whether or not they should be kept.
    As the competitive part of the community is the only part that cares about IVs in any way, I would say this is just flat out wrong.

You said it yourself, timmy and tommy don't care and probably won't ever notice so why keep it for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Nelavar View Post
    As the competitive part of the community is the only part that cares about IVs in any way, I would say this is just flat out wrong.

You said it yourself, timmy and tommy don't care and probably won't ever notice so why keep it for them?
    because thats what its purpose is, the reason they arent visible is because its supposed to make them more like real animals, you see a dog you dont know whether its born a better runner than another dog of the same breed. but ultimately it fails at its purpose.

i didnt even know about ivs until gen 4, it never made me feel like my specific pokemon was different, i never compared the stats.

something visual like spindas spot coding would accomplish that purpose much easier. to make up for ivs removal they could just provide more depth to the ev super training
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by 4KhazModan View Post
    No, because they were irrelevant in getting through the main game. They are however used to make certain trainers more powerful by giving them better ivs, like Gym Leaders and Elite 4 members. Honestly, the difference in stats in negligible in practice. A Manectric with 31 special attack with only do a few percent more min/max damage than 1 with 0 iv for special attack. People only care so much about them in competitive because we want as big of an edge for our pokemon as we can get. Every advantage helps, so we try to optimize ivs like hardcore raiders optimize their gear.
    I agree. But good IVs are more like the "indestructible, warforged" gear, getting them relies entirely on rng. How many times have you gotten a piece of gear you were looking for only to be disappointed that it was the inferior version then de'd it? My answer to that would be alot.

I like immitis' idea for iv's deciding cosmetic changes lot actually.
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.

10+ Year Old Account
    because thats what its purpose is, the reason they arent visible is because its supposed to make them more like real animals, you see a dog you dont know whether its born a better runner than another dog of the same breed. but ultimately it fails at its purpose.

i didnt even know about ivs until gen 4, it never made me feel like my specific pokemon was different, i never compared the stats.

something visual like spindas spot coding would accomplish that purpose much easier. to make up for ivs removal they could just provide more depth to the ev super training
    I agree that if we're gonna keep IVs for that purpose there needs to be a change. Cosmetics are a fairly decent option there

South America is a better theory than Hawaii. Why would they base an entire region off a state when it's always been based around a country.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Here's a shout out for my man Gunner speed running his 17 hour(17k followers) stream today for the 20th anniversary. Currently playing Yellow on the 3ds, and later possibly Red. He also the current world record holder of the old school Yellow with a ingame time of 1:54, and he also has the world record for old school Red at 1:48.

How does trading in yellow/blue/red work? I might pick up yellow if I can collect them all since the mew glitch works and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Romeothecat View Post
    I agree. But good IVs are more like the "indestructible, warforged" gear, getting them relies entirely on rng. How many times have you gotten a piece of gear you were looking for only to be disappointed that it was the inferior version then de'd it? My answer to that would be alot.

I like immitis' idea for iv's deciding cosmetic changes lot actually.
    It doesn't really that much on RNG if you breed for it. The latest thing I bred for was elektrike, and I got a penta perfect one within 2 eggs, and it was shiny too. Maybe if destiny knot didn't exist, I would agree with you, but it is very easy to put the odds in your favor so there really is not much rng left. As for cosmetics, how are they going to differentiate 31 different iv values for 6 different stats on all 722 pokemon?

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't really that much on RNG if you breed for it. The latest thing I bred for was elektrike, and I got a penta perfect one within 2 eggs, and it was shiny too. Maybe if destiny knot didn't exist, I would agree with you, but it is very easy to put the odds in your favor so there really is not much rng left. As for cosmetics, how are they going to differentiate 31 different iv values for 6 different stats on all 722 pokemon?
    Yeah it's quite unlikely that it'll ever happen, but I still like the idea

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    How does trading in yellow/blue/red work? I might pick up yellow if I can collect them all since the mew glitch works and stuff.
    Just like back in the day except that the Link Cable is replaced by Local Wireless with Virtual Console Magic. No GTS or such things.

just do the same thing spinda does.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...inda.27s_spots

- - - Updated - - -

South America is a better theory than Hawaii. Why would they base an entire region off a state when it's always been based around a country.
    unova was based off new york
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Just like back in the day except that the Link Cable is replaced by Local Wireless with Virtual Console Magic. No GTS or such things.
    Yea I'll pass then, sad really, they took the time to make it work with pokebank but not internet trading.

10+ Year Old Account

The gameplay purpose is, like Khaz said, to balance trainers in the game. Gym Leaders have higher IVs than their trainers. The Elite 4 has even higher IVs as well. The other purpose it to make Pokemon feel different from each other. Much like in real life, people have different potential in different fields, but you can't see it just by looking at them. Just because it isn't in your face doesn't mean it fails at its purpose.

Cosmetic differences would be far too hard to implement for all 721 Pokemon. Or at least enough differences to matter. You've got gender, you've got nature, you've got ability, and you've got IVs. And if you want to make your Pokemon look different then you can make it shiny. That's enough personalization for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea I'll pass then, sad really, they took the time to make it work with pokebank but not internet trading.
    Speaking of which, I know you can transfer Pokemon to the Poke Bank from R/B/Y but can you transfer it back? If so then it wouldn't be that hard to complete the Pokedex.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    The gameplay purpose is, like Khaz said, to balance trainers in the game. Gym Leaders have higher IVs than their trainers. The Elite 4 has even higher IVs as well. The other purpose it to make Pokemon feel different from each other. Much like in real life, people have different potential in different fields, but you can't see it just by looking at them. Just because it isn't in your face doesn't mean it fails at its purpose.

Cosmetic differences would be far too hard to implement for all 721 Pokemon. Or at least enough differences to matter. You've got gender, you've got nature, you've got ability, and you've got IVs. And if you want to make your Pokemon look different then you can make it shiny. That's enough personalization for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of which, I know you can transfer Pokemon to the Poke Bank from R/B/Y but can you transfer it back? If so then it wouldn't be that hard to complete the Pokedex.
    i fail to see how its too hard, every pokemon already has a personality value, create 4 smallish spots and use the same code spinda uses to place them

Apparently yellow/blue/red can go into pokebank but the only games that will be able to get those pokemon from those games will be sun and moon. You can't transfer them into oras/xy because they would have to patch the games and they are too lazy for that. It's honestly quite stupid how lazy they made this port.

- - - Updated - - -

unova was based off new york
    oh yea I forgot about that one.

- - - Updated - - -

Really the only thing they did to this port is removed the link cable and fix game breaking bugs (like focus energy) and censor jynx. If the mew glitch still works then the rest of the glitches still work. It's quite funny actually because without that mew glitch you can NOT complete the pokedex since you can't transfer pokemon to the games.

i fail to see how its too hard, every pokemon already has a personality value, create 4 smallish spots and use the same code spinda uses to place them
    Spinda's spots are completely random though, they don't refelct anything about Spinda itself, so it is easy to make an algorithm that creates a random pattern for each. But creating the 800 + million patterns for all 722+ pokemon is unrealistic.

Spinda's spots are completely random though
    thats the point. just like a dog might have spots while another doesnt

10+ Year Old Account
    thats the point. just like a dog might have spots while another doesnt
    And that's a vast oversimplification. You can't just add spots to every Pokemon that'd look out of place and lazy on some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    And that's a vast oversimplification. You can't just add spots to every Pokemon that'd look out of place and lazy on some of them.
    i fail to see how it wouldnt work, they could tie it into their sprite info so the colour doesnt look out of place.

every animal is capable of having birth marks, except for the more robotic ones but they could maybe have their spots look more like rust or just exclude them in general for being manufactured instead of organic

- - - Updated - - -

for example look at these fish, theyre spots are all slightly different

- - - Updated - - -

if they wanted to go the extra mile they could even do something like this where its not just spots but tufts of fur that can be placed in certain areas