Thread: Pokemon, Part 2

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuun View Post
    Not worth it for playthrough, imo.
    Indeed; if the past 2 games were any indicator of things to come, you will be outleveling content anyway... So speed is going to be less of an issue people think. (At least for the story-playtrough)

10+ Year Old Account
    Team rocket getting a mimik?
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    Indeed; if the past 2 games were any indicator of things to come, you will be outleveling content anyway... So speed is going to be less of an issue people think. (At least for the story-playtrough)
    Even without ExpShare (which I turned off completely in OmegaRuby which made for a more interesting run), min/maxing mons that probably won't be used later in endgame doesn't seem all that necessary, imo. I would just avoid nature which hinders main attack stat (atk/spatk) or speed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Team rocket getting a mimik?
    [IMG]http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/188/525/7c9.gif[IMG]
    They would finally get Pikachu... sorta, kinda.

Dark Void is severely nerfed:

50% accuracy and ONLY usable by Darkrai.

Updated the spoiler with extra info, go ahead and read it.

- - - Updated - - -

With this change, Darkrai is better of using Hypnosis. It has 60% accuracy, and nothing is immune to it except Pokemon that have insomnia of course. Dark Void is officially a non-existing move in 7th gen, unless you're doing doubles.

- - - Updated - - -

With this change though, Darkrai is going to be in OU most likely. It is definitely not Ubers material anymore.
    Last edited by Well; 2016-11-08 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StarGazer91 View Post
    Damn, they went full savage on Darkrai. Wonder why its only usable by Darkrai now too? Does this mean Sketch Smeargle is done for too?
    Yeah, no Dark Void from pesky Smeargles anymore!

10+ Year Old Account
    Rest in peace, Dark Void.

And rest in peace, starter speed stats.

I wonder if Primarina's HA will boost sound moves the way abilities like Pixilate do. If so, that Hyper Voice may wreck things.
    Last edited by Adramalech; 2016-11-08 at 09:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post

I wonder if Primarina's HA will boost sound moves the way abilities like Pixilate do. If so, that Hyper Voice may wreck things.
    The in-game text is exactly the same as Pixilate's, so, it will, most likely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post
    Rest in peace, Dark Void.

And rest in peace, starter speed stats.

Way better than surf and ignores substitute. And also 100% chance to hit and aoe. If there is IV farming, it will make a perfect pokemon for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Heh fanart already out:
    http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...88/893/472.jpg
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    The more I look at Primarina, the more she grows on me. Still not my favorite water starter. In fact, I'd say it's my least favorite water starter, but I think water is also the most consistent starter type in terms of good design.

By the sound of things, most of you want the starters to have Greninja's speed stat. It's OK for some pokémon to be a bit slow, and it actually makes sense, given their designs and the animals they are based on.
    Last edited by Arachnophobia; 2016-11-08 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnophobia View Post
    By the sound of things, most of you want the starters to have Greninja's speed stat. It's OK for some pokémon to be a bit slow, and it actually makes sense, given their designs and the animals they are based off.
    Incineroar's & Primarina's speed stats make sense for me, but Decidueye's? 70? It could easily be 90 or even 100. It's an archer! 70 just gets outsped by... everything pretty much. Simply due to that, the mon will fall to... RU at best. It could have been so much better.

Not to mention that the description says that it fires an arrow in a tenth of a second, like come on. 70?

It's OK for some pokémon to be a bit slow
    Slow is the death of most Pokemon when it comes to being viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    Incineroar's & Primarina's speed stats make sense for me, but Decidueye's? 70? It could easily be 90 or even 100. It's an archer! 70 just gets outsped by... everything pretty much. Simply due to that, the mon will fall to... RU at best. It could have been so much better.

Not to mention that the description says that it fires an arrow in a tenth of a second, like come on. 70?
    Archers are (for the most part) stationary attackers, and are usually behind a frontline, only needing to move when repositioning is required. It's also an owl, which are far from the fastest birds on the planet; they're designed for surprise, silent attacks, which do not require a great deal of speed.

I think it makes sense.

It's also an owl, which are far from the fastest birds on the planet; they're designed for surprise, silent attacks, which do not require a great deal of speed.

I think it makes sense.
    It doesn't even learn Shadow Sneak...

Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    Slow is the death of most Pokemon when it comes to being viable.
    It can be, but these pokémon also have strong typings, and immunities, allowing for more safer switch-ins. And as you said, "Slow is the death of most pokémon", we can't say how effective these starters will be in the new generation's meta until the game is released and they are fully explored. We've had some recent drastic climbs in the Smogon tier list from slow pokémon that have been in the game for at least two generations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StarGazer91 View Post
    I'd realistically not expect them to be Greninja fast, but I'd expect them to be a hell of alot better than what they are. With how slow they are, your pretty much forced into defense builds.
    Natural bulk and typings that allow for a decent amount of resistences and grant some immunities are usually enough to warrant the occasional offensive build, in my experience.

It doesn't even learn Shadow Sneak...
    That we know of, right?

Archers are (for the most part) stationary attackers, and are usually behind a frontline, only needing to move when repositioning is required. It's also an owl, which are far from the fastest birds on the planet; they're designed for surprise, silent attacks, which do not require a great deal of speed.

I think it makes sense.
    A TENTH of a second. Does that sound slow to you? If Decidueye can pull an arrow and shoot it at that speed, and thus ATTACK in such a fraction of time, I cannot see how it has 70 speed. It's a pokemon, it's not an actual owl. It's a freaking GHOST, an "owl" that SHOOTS ARROWS. Sense is the last factor in pokemon.

That we know of, right?
    Oh we know. The game is leaked, the data are already in the hands of the dataminers and the rom will appear shortly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Very fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    A TENTH of a second. Does that sound slow to you? If Decidueye can pull an arrow and shoot it at that speed, and thus ATTACK in such a fraction of time, I cannot see how it has 70 speed. It's a pokemon, it's not an actual owl. It's a freaking GHOST, an "owl" that SHOOTS ARROWS. Sense is the last factor in pokemon.
    Lars Anderson can fire 10 arrows in 4.9 seconds using an archery technique that is at least 5000-years old, which is also considered the most powerful and fastest method of archery. Can he outrun Usain Bolt? I highly doubt it. My point is that just because you can fire a projectile at an incredible rate and speed, it doesn't make you [the person firing] equally as fast.

Here is a short video about Lars Anderson, in case you wanted to see it:

And if you'd rather bring fiction into this, discussing Hawkeye and Green Arrow's incredible archery feats, and still comparing them to heroes who are based on speed i.e. The Flash, would still yield the same result.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh we know. The game is leaked, the data are already in the hands of the dataminers and the rom will appear shortly.
    Well, if that is true, then I admit that IS a bit odd. It may have been an oversight, or a move GameFreak may give it at another time, like how Flygon was granted access to Dragon Rush in ORAS, and Accelgor with Water Shuriken.
    Last edited by Arachnophobia; 2016-11-08 at 01:00 PM.

Deleted
    As for speeds, I didn't expect any of them to break the magical 100 but I thought at least Decidueye and Incineroar would be at high 80's-low 90's.
    For comparison sake, Chesnaught has 64 speed, being a bulky and defensive pokemon. I doubt Decidueye or Incineroar would move at such speed.

- - - Updated - - -

Lars Anderson can fire 10 arrows in 4.9 seconds using an archery technique that is at least 5000-years old, which is also considered the most powerful and fastest method of archery. Can he outrun Usain Bolt? I highly doubt it. My point is that just because you can fire a projectile at an incredible rate and speed, it doesn't make you [the person firing] equally as fast.

Here is a short video about Lars Anderson, in case you wanted to see it:

[video=youtube;BEG-ly9tQGk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk[video]

And if you'd rather bring fiction into this, discussing Hawkeye and Green Arrow's incredible archery feats, and still comparing them to heroes who are based on speed i.e. The Flash, would still yield the same result.
    The thing is, pokemon start battle at distance by default. So it makes sense for Decidueye to have higher speed due to ability to fire barrage of attacks instantly. I could see it being clunky at repositioning, which is why it wouldn't deserve 100+ speed.

But that also tackles the unresolved problem of movement speed vs attack speed. In-game we only see attacks being launched while "realistically" (in-universe, in-anime) movement also plays an important role.
    Last edited by mmoc8ded9ea3f2; 2016-11-08 at 01:02 PM.