Thread: Pokemon, Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    From serebi:
    Nintendo America just put out a minor bit of new Pokémon Sword & Shield information. With this information, they have confirmed once and for all that the Stadium-like building scattered across the Galar Region are Gyms. This had been theorised but has now finally been confirmed. With this, a new element was introduced. Rather than Gym Leaders, the Gyms in Galar have got Gym Masters. At present it's unclear what the difference between the two are but we'll post as soon as we have more
    Edit @ 20:30: Nintendo America have since deleted the tweet detailing this. We'll bring more on it as it comes.
    Hm... so the gyms will remain as the place where the player trainer undergoes a challenge to progress in the Pokemon League, but it seems like the challenge itself will be different. Perhaps rather than simply fighting the Gym Leader, perhaps the Gym Master oversees a series of battles, with the winner being able to move on the Pokemon League to the next gym, ala Pokemon Colosseum?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Hm... so the gyms will remain as the place where the player trainer undergoes a challenge to progress in the Pokemon League, but it seems like the challenge itself will be different. Perhaps rather than simply fighting the Gym Leader, perhaps the Gym Master oversees a series of battles, with the winner being able to move on the Pokemon League to the next gym, ala Pokemon Colosseum?
    Or you need to beat trainers in challange mode that is a mix of minigames (sport) and pokemon battles. And if you hit high enogh score you can battle the gym leader.

For example: Football

You kick a ball, but if you get intercepted by a enemy pokemon trainer you need to battle it out or something. And you gota get the ball into goal or something.

Unique way i can think of is that you need to use enemy pokemon weakness on ball to move it. And if you use a move that is not effective enogh, you lose a ball.

It can also be more anime-like stadium for battles with the trainers/masters. I liked that in gen6 anime finale where they used such gyms, would be cool if those got into the core games as well. Especially if they would implement controlling using joy-cons motion sensors similar to mario oddyssey somehow...

Or you need to beat trainers in challange mode that is a mix of minigames (sport) and pokemon battles. And if you hit high enogh score you can battle the gym leader.

For example: Football

You kick a ball, but if you get intercepted by a enemy pokemon trainer you need to battle it out or something. And you gota get the ball into goal or something.

Unique way i can think of is that you need to use enemy pokemon weakness on ball to move it. And if you use a move that is not effective enogh, you lose a ball.
    I really wouldn't like that. Definitely prefer just standard gyms over that idea. I hope they haven't changed things in a direction of minigames.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    I really wouldn't like that. Definitely prefer just standard gyms over that idea. I hope they haven't changed things in a direction of minigames.
    Hm what if they work like this?
    https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Battle_Palace
    And the rest of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I kinda hope that FRLG will available for 3DS VC some time in the future. I know LG:P/E came out very recently, but I'd love to have LG VC so I can shiny hunt Mewtwo without having to try and find a physical copy online while wading through a plethora of fake copies.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Hm what if they work like this?
    https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Battle_Palace
    And the rest of them.
    My thing is mostly to not have them lose creative and coding time with implementing random mini-games that will only be played once per gym/stadium. That would also take out from battling time, which in turn will give off less exp, which will result in even easier battles to accomodate the lost exp. If, on the other hand, they implement them, it's hard to see them staying on the only once rule. The minigames will infest every meta-game aspect of S&S, just because they exist.

It's a lose-lose, I feel.

- - - Updated - - -

The only way I see that stadiums will be different than classic gyms is them having a different battle style, maybe even rotation, inspired by sports. That could work, but I don't think they will be anything else than single, because people that only play with their starters as their only mon (and that's very common in children) will find themselves unable to challenge the gyms.

What I am guessing is happening, is that they just dress you in the soccer outfit for that particular stadium (and who knows what other outfits for the other stadiums) just for the cool factor. That is perfectly fine, though: having a simple aesthetic goal with a gym is standard, and although it's been traditionally based in pokemon types, I can see them incorporating, say soccer in this example, for a theme that also will, for the first time include in it, the trainer in such a drastic way as a forced outfit change.

Even a forced outfit change is enough to outrage some players who, understandably, do not want their shit forcibly changed around. I can get behind that.

10+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    Real pikachu:

so it begins...
    we are getting slowly real pokemon!

10+ Year Old Account
    A friend sent me this one. I probably laughed harder than I should, because it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another fake?

Those look more convincing than the last one I saw. I have a hope that at least the Scorbunny one is real. Would seem to confirm everyone's fire/electric hopes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Those look more convincing than the last one I saw. I have a hope that at least the Scorbunny one is real. Would seem to confirm everyone's fire/electric hopes.
    Well if those are true we would probaly get it in this setup:
    Water/Poison (weak to electric, grass, ground, psyhic) --- it can also be water/ice to balance itself with grass (fight, fire 0, rock, steel)
    Fire/electric (weak to ground 4x, rock, water)
    Grass/ground (weak to bug, fire, flying, ice 4x, poision 0, water 0)

Balancing them can be a bit of pain, but i would guess grass type is slow with lots of hp and defense, fire is fast, but doesnt hit to hard and has weak defense, while water is a medium speed with higher sp.atk

Fire Electric would break the Grass, Fire, Water triangle. Won't happen anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Fire Electric would break the Grass, Fire, Water triangle. Won't happen anymore.
    So I guess Infernape/Empoleon/Torterra doesn't count?

If this is really their evolutions (highly doubtful), this wouldn't be the first time they have had starters that were typically weak against another end up becoming strong against that one due to secondary typing.

Chimchar > Turtwig normally. Fully evolve them, and Turtwig could really hurt Infernape thanks to it's Ground type. Both of Infernape's types destroy Empoleon's second type (Steel). Empoleon gets the short end, as even though its second type takes 1/2 damage from Torterra's primary, it takes 2x damage from ground. So giving Scorbunny's final evo the electric typing, while being good against Sobble's primary, Sobble's secondary might be good against Scorbunny. We don't know. But it has happened before, and could end up happening again. Though the last 2 gens have gone for doubling up on the super effectiveness, so who knows?

So I guess Infernape/Empoleon/Torterra doesn't count?

If this is really their evolutions (highly doubtful), this wouldn't be the first time they have had starters that were typically weak against another end up becoming strong against that one due to secondary typing.

Chimchar > Turtwig normally. Fully evolve them, and Turtwig could really hurt Infernape thanks to it's Ground type. Both of Infernape's types destroy Empoleon's second type (Steel). Empoleon gets the short end, as even though its second type takes 1/2 damage from Torterra's primary, it takes 2x damage from ground. So giving Scorbunny's final evo the electric typing, while being good against Sobble's primary, Sobble's secondary might be good against Scorbunny. We don't know. But it has happened before, and could end up happening again. Though the last 2 gens have gone for doubling up on the super effectiveness, so who knows?
    I said it won't happen anymore.

Empoleon, Torterra Infernape were a mistake where Empoleon gain weaknesses to both other starters while having no strengths against either.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    I said it won't happen anymore.

Empoleon, Torterra Infernape were a mistake where Empoleon gain weaknesses to both other starters while having no strengths against either.
    I don't think we need perfect balance. Come on, who's gonna pick a bug Pokemon team over dragon or steel types? As long as the idea is fun, I'm all for it. How many times have you ended up in a match between your fully evolved starter against another fully evolved started of the same gen? Maybe three times during the brain-dead easy story mode?

I'm down for another fire/fighting starter IF GameFreak can create a Pokemon sufficiently interesting enough that it stands apart from the other fire/fighting starters. Blaziken and Infernape were too similar for my tastes being an athletic, slender fighter, so as far as I'm concerned we only really needed the one, but Emboar being a big, bulky sumo wrestling pig with a flaming beard and unique patterns on his body was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I don't think we need perfect balance. Come on, who's gonna pick a bug Pokemon team over dragon or steel types? As long as the idea is fun, I'm all for it. How many times have you ended up in a match between your fully evolved starter against another fully evolved started of the same gen? Maybe three times during the brain-dead easy story mode?

I'm down for another fire/fighting starter IF GameFreak can create a Pokemon sufficiently interesting enough that it stands apart from the other fire/fighting starters. Blaziken and Infernape were too similar for my tastes being an athletic, slender fighter, so as far as I'm concerned we only really needed the one, but Emboar being a big, bulky sumo wrestling pig with a flaming beard and unique patterns on his body was cool.
    Never said we need to get another Fire/Fighting. Just said GF won't do secondaries that will negate the original type triangle of the starters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Next pokemon Ep---guzma. Finaly lol.