Voters
174. This poll is closed
  • Yes.

142 81.61%
  • No.

32 18.39%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Yes.

I don't really understand your reasoning for saying you aren't. For example, I downhill ski and consider myself a skier. I'm not involved in skiing culture, whatever that is, I just go to the mountain and ski, either with my brother, dad, or a friend.

7+ Year Old Account
    This is a Website about gaming. I don't understand the Question. Sure, i'm a gamer. Played WoW about 5000 hours.

Deleted
    yup im a gamer. i play 50 hours a week.

I play games, so yeah. I'd rather not get into the whole "If you only play candy crush you're not a real gamer" kind of thing because that's just another arbitrary categorisation, and there's already more than enough of that.

I've had a controller in my hand since I could hold one. I was 2 when I beat Rygar. Still have the picture my mom took for Nintendo Power.

And games are games. Doesn't matter. My buddy that plays Settlers 3 nights a week is as much of a gamer as I am.

No and I hate people who label themselves as gamers. Especially the terms "gamer girl" and "gaymer".

Post so edgy I almost cut myself on it.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Id probably have a hard time avoiding getting labelled as one when I have been playing video games in various forms since the mid 90s at this point, and usually go for the highest difficulty setting available to me in games at all times.

So yes.

That said, I have a hard time telling whether this thread is serious or not asking if people see themselves as gamers on a computer game forum...

10+ Year Old Account
    Posting in a Mall Security thread while he's banned! Woot!

You troll by admitting to how long you've been playing games, and then say you aren't a gamer. Troll is troll.

Yes, I'm a gamer. I've been playing since ye olde Commodore 64 and Atari days, and will probably die with a controller in my hand. Or at the keyboard, I guess. More a PC gamer now than anything.

Now, as to the point of what makes one a gamer, there is some obvious room for debating. My sister played the fuck-all out of FFX, like, religiously for about 2 years straight, several times through, 100% completion, etc, but that is probably the only game she has ever even touched. I would not call her a gamer by any stretch of the imagination. I would also go so far as to say that someone who spends, say, less than 10 hours a month playing games of any sort, is not a gamer either. More a dabbler than anything. That would be my roommate. On average, I'd say he spends maybe 2-4 hours a month playing something. Usually God of War. I wouldn't call him a gamer, though he tries to.

I would also call into question how highly someone rates playing games over doing other things to be something to base whether or not they are a gamer. I would much rather play games than do damned near anything else, including sleep, but not sex. Sex wins, hands down. But someone who values gaming less than watching TV, hanging out with friends, clipping their toenails, you get the point, may in fact not be a gamer, even if he likes playing games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

I'd say I am. Been a fan of games as long as I can remember... lived through the golden age of arcades, had the 2600, the first Nintendo systems as well. Dreamcast and PS1 were the last consoles I owned, as I moved over to PC gaming at that point.

Having said that, the number of games that have actually held my interest for any length of time is pretty low, and I do go through fairly long stretches of not playing games at all.

I mainly play PC nowadays but yes, I'd say I'm a gamer.

Deleted
    Im a poshshirt wearing recreational bodybuilder with a hot girlfriend a good job and a big social circle.
    Gameing is my dirty secret caus others would judge me for it. Just like MMO-champ is.

edit: Looking at that first sentence... Its actually way better than it sounds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Dad turned me into a gamer when he started playing games like Turtles through time and Contra with me at age 6. Its all his fault
    Turtles through time was so fucking fun as coop. Contra 3 was also fantastic coop experience.

Dumped thousands of hours into those games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I play video games pretty frequently so I'd say yeah.. I am? I mean gamers are just people who play video games its not that complicated. Unless you are talking about "gamer" personality types. If thats the case I don't let gaming define me. It's something I do in my off time and is purely for entertainment. Nothing more nothing less. People who's whole personality is gaming and game culture are.. well they're just not the type of people I like to associate with
    Last edited by Dug; 2015-06-15 at 07:08 PM.