The Misconceptions of the World

Hello MMO-Champion posters!

This thread is about things you have learned that weren't correct, or exactly correct, such as a misconception that is pervasive in a particular country, province, state or wherever you live. I'm thinking more so about objective misconceptions. Lines become blurred when its personal. Unless you can provide a powerful argument supported by trusted sources then try to keep it objective.

An example is that Earth having a far more circular orbit than an ellipse. When I was a child we learned about how the Earth travels around the Sun in an elongated ellipse. How this misconception came to be for my teachers I will never know. Recently I've been trying to unwind my misconceptions and relearn much of what I've been taught. I know Earth's orbit is not a perfect circle, but it is near perfect. Definitely not the elongated ellipses I was taught in school.

What have you learned that you later found out wasn't true? It might be helpful to the next reader or poster. If you can provide some link that helps dispel the misconception then that would be wonderful!
    Last edited by Martinczo; 2015-06-03 at 11:35 PM.
    ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ AMD 970
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition
    2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB
    EVGA GeForce GTX 660 FTW 2GB
    Intel 330 Series 240GB, Mushkin Enhanced 120GB, Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200 RPM

10+ Year Old Account
    Growing up in England we were told there were no famous Belgians, but in fact there are famous Belgians, such as Jean Claude Van Damme and

That prostitution is legal in Nevada. It is and it isn't. It goes by county, a few counties decided to keep prostitution legal but most made prostitution illegal. For example you can get arrested for hiring a prostitute in Las Vegas.

Same with gambling, some counties have legal gambling, some don't.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Grew up thinking that Americans overall were assholes. After a few years, have come to recognize numerous exceptions.

Was always told we would have flying cars in 2010

10+ Year Old Account
    "Liberals and Democrats are stupid and want to ruin this country."

My family watched Fox News religiously when I was growing up. :/

Not turning this into a political debate, just realizing that there are other opinions out there and sometimes they fit you better than what you've been raised to think. All I would ever hear was O'Reilly say this crap over and over again. I didn't have access to the internet growing up and I didn't care about politics at the time, but my parents loved watching him with the volume turned up so loud that it would almost drown out my T.V. in my room. So it kind of stuck in my head. Started watching the Daily Show when I reached high school and learned about other points of view. Learned that the rhetoric I've been hearing for the longest was BS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    That there is no spoon.
    Then what's holding that Jello?

Man, I was taught that "perfect protein" shit in my sophomore year high school health class.

I was always told Men's bathrooms were dirtier. Then I became a janitor.

They were wrong. My god, they were wrong.
    Last edited by Dextroden; 2015-06-03 at 11:54 PM.

My cousin told me it was illegal to take off other people's socks when I was like 5. Nobody ever told me otherwise but I am pretty sure he was lying.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

10+ Year Old Account
    When we all thought

jet fuel could melt steel beams!

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    I was always told Men's bathrooms were dirtier. Then I became a janitor.

They were wrong. My god, they were wrong.
    Work at a truck stop. Lose all faith in humanity.

OT: Stepping on cracks along the pavement could cause major spinal trauma in my mother.
    Last edited by King Shark; 2015-06-04 at 12:19 AM.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    Work at a truck stop. Lose all faith in humanity.

OT: Stepping on cracks along the pavement could cause major spinal trauma in my mother.
    I shuffled papers for a trucking company before. One of the stories I heard was of truckers pissing and shitting in bathroom corners at stops for revenge.

Jesus.

10+ Year Old Account
    I (and others!) used to think that it was illegal to remove the tag from your mattress....

I shuffled papers for a trucking company before. One of the stories I heard was of truckers pissing and shitting in bathroom corners at stops for revenge.

Jesus.
    This is why I hold it in till I get home- which sucks because I drive cross country. And this may indeed be why I have prostate issues. And stomach problems. And some kind of intestinal disease I'm sure.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    This is why I hold it in till I get home- which sucks because I drive cross country. And this may indeed be why I have prostate issues. And stomach problems. And some kind of intestinal disease I'm sure.
    Seriously, don't do that. That's how you end up having to dump a bag filled with your waste for the rest of your life.

Seriously, don't do that. That's how you end up having to dump a bag filled with your waste for the rest of your life.
    I wasn't actually being serious. I just use the restrooms at the Holiday Inn and the Super 8 whenever I have to go. That's true class right there.