View Poll Results: Does Pokemon promote slavery and animal cruelty?

Voters
76. This poll is closed
  • Yes

9 11.84%
  • No

66 86.84%
  • I dunno but by this brief description it sure seems like a pretty sadistic f'd up concept.

1 1.32%
Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Does Pokemon promote slavery and animal cruelty?

According to the basics of the game it sure seems like it.

Players of the games are designated as Pokémon Trainers, and in the main series Pokémon games, these trainers have two general goals. These are to complete the Pokédex by collecting all of the available Pokémon species found in the fictional region where that game takes place; and to train a team of powerful Pokémon from those they have caught to compete against teams owned by other Trainers, and eventually win the fictional Pokémon League. These themes of collecting, training, and battling are present in almost every version of the Pokémon franchise, including the video games, the anime and manga series, and the Pokémon Trading Card Game.

In most incarnations of the fictional Pokémon universe, a Trainer that encounters a wild Pokémon is able to capture that Pokémon by throwing a specially designed, mass-producible spherical tool called a Poké Ball at it. If the Pokémon is unable to escape the confines of the Poké Ball, it is officially considered to be under the ownership of that Trainer. Afterwards, it will obey whatever its new master commands, unless the Trainer demonstrates such a lack of experience that the Pokémon would rather act on its own accord. Trainers can send out any of their Pokémon to wage non-lethal battles against other Pokémon; if the opposing Pokémon is wild, the Trainer can capture that Pokémon with a Poké Ball, increasing his or her collection of creatures.

As a reward, the Trainer receives a Gym Badge, and once all eight badges are collected, that Trainer is eligible to challenge the region's Pokémon League, where four immensely talented trainers (referred to collectively as the "Elite Four") challenge the Trainer to four Pokémon battles in succession. If the trainer can overcome this gauntlet, he or she must then challenge the Regional Champion, the master Trainer who had previously defeated the Elite Four. Any Trainer who wins this last battle becomes the new champion.

Honestly back in the days of Tom and Jerry, or Woody Wood Pecker, Bugs Bunny and the like there was worry about what kind of influence those cartoons had on young minds, so it got me wondering since that time have cartoons improved Pokemon being a specific example.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2015-06-04 at 04:14 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    This thread is now hijacked and about finding a hobby for Mall Security.

Since he seems to have quite a bit fantasy, I suggest P&P RPGs. Please not as GM tho.

Considering they make a point to always convince you that Pokemon and humans in the world are partners, that the kinds of organizations that treat Pokemon poorly (Team Rocket/etc) are always portrayed as villains and that the game mechanics themselves encourage you to treat your Pokemon well for bonuses I'd say that it quite decidedly does not promote slavery and animal cruelty. And that the only kind of person that could assert such an idea has either not played the games or is incapable of comprehending the most common and basic theme of the games.

It certainly does, if the subject suffers from a certain degree of mental retardation.

10+ Year Old Account
    There you have it and ofc no.
    /thread

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad-apple View Post
    Considering they make a point to always convince you that Pokemon and humans in the world are partners, that the kinds of organizations that treat Pokemon poorly (Team Rocket/etc) are always portrayed as villains and that the game mechanics themselves encourage you to treat your Pokemon well for bonuses I'd say that it quite decidedly does not promote slavery and animal cruelty. And that the only kind of person that could assert such an idea has either not played the games or is incapable of comprehending the most common and basic theme of the games.
    Well, the act of capturing a living breathing sentient creature,and ordering it to fight for your gain seems like cruelty tome, and whether this team rocket is more cruel seems pretty incidental.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post

Honestly back in the days of Tom and Jerry, or Woody Wood Pecker, Bugs Bunny and the like there was worry about what kind of influence those cartoons had on young minds, so it got me wondering since that time have cartoons improved Pokemon being a specific example.

What do you think?
    Have you ever been to a zoo/aqaurium/sea world/animal Kingdom? You promote slavery and animal cruelty if the answer is yes..... now stop being so.... you, it's stupid.

Infracted. Keep it civil
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2015-06-04 at 05:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Deleted
    Maybe in a weird not really thought about way. But I wouldn't really say so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Have you ever been to a zoo/aqaurium/sea world/animal Kingdom? You promote slavery and animal cruelty if the answer is yes..... now stop being so.... you, it's stupid.
    Well Zoo's are about conservation, I don't think zoo's subject animals to battling it out, although in the instance of like Sea World people do seem to be against that too since the movie Blackfish.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    No. Pokemons are really smart and like to fight against each other in some sort of fighting friendly competition. After the battle, they feel more conected to the opponent and trainer. They aren't like the poor dogs used for fighting, who learned some sort of twisted hatred against everything - they pokebattle, for pokefun. It's their choice. Trainers can't force the pokemon to battle. They challenge the pokemon.

And there are instances of pokemon not wanting to stay with the trainer - they flee if they don't like the situation.

Deleted
    how did i guess this would be a mall security thread

10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus fucking christ, you sjw's are fucking morons beyond measure.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2015-06-04 at 05:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BotFen View Post
    No. Pokemons are really smart and like to fight against each other in some sort of fighting friendly competition. After the battle, they feel more conected to the opponent and trainer. They aren't like the poor dogs used for fighting, who learned some sort of twisted hatred against everything - they pokebattle, for pokefun. It's their choice. Trainers can't force the pokemon to battle. They challenge the pokemon.

And there are instances of pokemon not wanting to stay with the trainer - they flee if they don't like the situation.
    Yeah, ok,I suppose but I think much of that is just a way of putting a nice face on a practice with any real application in life would be either absurd, or indefensibly cruel.

I mean even the title trainer, seems kind of like a loose definition. I don't know of many trainers that get a prize for the accomplishments of those they train.

no more cruel then sending your family dog to training lessons, the "dogs" just have super powers as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Jesus fucking christ, you sjw's are fucking morons beyond measure.
    There is nothing wrong with asking relevant questions, as I said, there has been studies, about traditional cartoons, and forms of influence when it comes to children, so whats wrong with being mindful about what children consume.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    When I was a kid and played pokemon all I ever wanted to be when i grew up was a slaver who cut up innocent animals, but my college didn't have a course in that so I became something boring instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Well, the act of capturing a living breathing sentient creature,and ordering it to fight for your gain seems like cruelty tome, and whether this team rocket is more cruel seems pretty incidental.
    they did this theme in gen 5 with team plasma and n.

in the end n realized that pokemon LIKE battling and it brings them closer to their trainer and that its in fact not cruel to keep pokemon in pokeballs and battle with them.

so the game literally said you're wrong in gen 5, flatout, nothing you say can go against the literal narrative of the game that its not wrong.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    no more cruel then sending your family dog to training lessons, the "dogs" just have super powers as well.
    Yeah well not all dog training is the same, an I am guessing if you told anybody you stuffed your pet in a ball after it was done amusing you, it would probably lead to an uncomfortable conversation with authorities.

It is tradition in Japan to collect beetles and let them fight. Pokemon just took this concept and expanded it
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Once again, why is this not a violation of MMO champ forum guidelines?