Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

US Air Force targets and destroys ISIS HQ building after spotting it on social Media

http://techti.me/2015/06/04/us-air-f...-social-media/

An ISIS headquarters building was taken out by three Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM) missiles less than 24 hours after the U.S. Air Force’s 361st ISR (Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance) Group spotted a person posting a selfie outside of the building on social media.

“The guys that were working down out of Hurlburt, they’re combing through social media and they see some moron standing at this command,” the head of Air Combat Command shared during an Air Force Association hosted breakfast meeting in Washington D.C.

“And in some social media, open forum, bragging about the command and control capabilities for Daesh, ISIL. And these guys go: ‘We got an in.’ So they do some work, long story short, about 22 hours later through that very building, three [Joint Direct Attack Munitions] take that entire building out.”

He was careful not to share sensitive details about the location of the building and airstrike, but he noted how ISIS’ enthusiasm of social media was turned against them in this case, reports DefenseTech.
    Be careful what you post on your snap chat

I'm against ISIS and stupidity and all, but are you saying US destroyed a building with an air strike without confirming who was inside, just because some ISIS guy took a picture outside of it? How do they know they weren't lying?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post

I'm against ISIS and stupidity and all, but are you saying US destroyed a building with an air strike without confirming who was inside, just because some ISIS guy took a picture outside of it? How do they know they weren't lying?
    Yeah really. Some ISIS guy could just take selfies outside of civilian buildings and say "THIS IS OUR NEW HIDEOUT LOL!!!" Nobody can be this stupid.

That poorly photoshopped picture ruins all credibility this article has.

Deleted

Because that is more solid evidence then they usually act upon.

So called signature strikes call all male people basically as combatants
    and if 30 of them gather be it for a wedding or whatever and are in the jemen/pakistan or target destination of choice well....

Obama is joking about it while your country is liquidating people based on demografic indicides without further input america fuck yeah.

Deleted
    Are they really that dumb?

I'm surprised that the AF would admit that this was how the building was found. Seems to be an equally dumb move to basically tell your enemy how you're doing what you're doing.

And then, the guy posts another selfie taken beside the rubble pile.

"LOL MISSED ME"

10+ Year Old Account

The confirmation part probably came along with: "So they do some work, long story short..." Possibly they monitored traffic on a spy satellite or with a drone. Maybe looked at EM radiation coming from the building, spotted heat from servers, identified specific people entering/exiting, whatever. I don't think the selfie alone made the decision.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I don't think the selfie alone made the decision.
    Its more solid evidence then they need drone strikes have changed.
    That happens when you dont read up on the shit your country does.

Good lord some of the responses right away. Yeah sure guys, they definitely only acted on the evidence of a selfie shared on social media, and had nothing in the way of any other intelligence. Definitely.

Take note that it wasn't the selfie that was found by intelligence, it was an intelligence operative observing the selfie being taken. Somebody there, on the ground, doing the intelligence work thing.

But no guys, the Air Force definitely just saw this facebook selfie and immediately decided to bomb the fuck out of the place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Its more solid evidence then they need drone strikes have changed.
    That happens when you dont read up on the shit your country does.
    Man, you are nothing but venom, aren't you? How do you know what I have and haven't read?

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe they Periscoped it idk.
    Black Lives Matter

Deleted
    Man, you are nothing but venom, aren't you? How do you know what I have and haven't read?
    Well the conclusion that the obama administration only uses drone strikes after carefull evaluation seems to be so far fetched that you probably have no clue what they do.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/internati...drones/391655/

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the conclusion that the obama administration only uses drone strikes after carefull evaluation seems to be so far fetched that you probably have no clue what they do.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/internati...drones/391655/
    Did I ever say that?

Deleted
    Did I ever say that?
    The deceisive thing was the picture....
    by normal standards its more conclusive then some male guys sitting in the attic but not for those shitty drone strikes there
    its all better sorry then safe.

So was this like the ultimate photobomb?
    I also don't believe the story.

I for one am all for bombing people seen on social media. I hope to see these resources eventually used domestically!

10+ Year Old Account
    The deceisive thing was the picture....
    by normal standards its more conclusive then some male guys sitting in the attic but not for those shitty drone strikes there
    its all better sorry then safe.
    The decisive thing was the picture... because you decide that that's the case?

Your line of logic seems to be "The current administration has had a record of poor targeting in drone strikes... and they targeted the right building... and someone took a picture of it... and because they hit the right building, they obviously only went off of the picture."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    So was this like the ultimate photobomb?
    Well played sir. Well played.