need some help with a smoker

So I'm working on planning out my christmas shopping and I want to buy a decent smoker for my father this year. Unfortunately i really don't know how to shop for one. is it as simple as buying a grill? What are some good brands? Hopefully some of you have experience with them and can help me.

10+ Year Old Account
    your title made me think you needed help getting a smoker to quit or something not help buying a smoker? as for the smoker aren't there websites that recommend grilling products?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    i grabbed the $60 vertical smoker on sale for 40 from canadiantire along with a couple bags of wood chips and charcoal. It works great, not sure i would notice a difference from the 400$ electric one that was next to it.

i guess the real question is whats your price range?

Quote Originally Posted by Septik View Post
    i grabbed the $60 vertical smoker on sale for 40 from canadiantire along with a couple bags of wood chips and charcoal. It works great, not sure i would notice a difference from the 400$ electric one that was next to it.

i guess the real question is whats your price range?
    Undecided. my mom and sister said they would go in on it with me so I guess 300 or below.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Here you go. This is one that I own, and I love it - $180.
    http://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Glo-DGO11.../dp/B00BQ59VTO
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Undecided. my mom and sister said they would go in on it with me so I guess 300 or below.
    Electric smokers offer more convenience in that you plug em in and they cycle through pre-formed wood chip 'pucks' automatically and are able to keep a constant temperature. They started in price around $299 and up.
    Propane smokers keep that same temperature convenience but at the cost of requiring fuel, i could see that going badly if unprepared. There was one at the store i was in for $249.
    Charcoal smokers are cheap and functional if you keep up on it. I got the cheapest ($60) but the next one up ($120) looked like a 'professional' smoker just smaller.

my understanding so far in smoking is that a constant temperature is one of the keys to a proper smoke.

The little vertical guy i got is a bit of a pain keeping an eye on the temperature. I was never to good with a hibachi either, but im getting better each time keeping the coal going properly. The last item i did was a 6lb brisket cut of beef for 10.5hrs and i had to check on it every hour or two, when i didnt the temp dropped to about 150f but it spent most of the time around 200f. It turned out amazing.