Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Could I sue for this? ( DIscrimination based on gender )

My University has no rules against men having long hair. However, there is an... older female teacher that has some very... traditional views. She expects men to be cleanly shaven and have their hair short.

Ironically, in a Medical University, it's the English teacher that has the nerve to make such requirements. But, alas.

I'm asking whether I can gain support by law, should she refuse to admit me for the exam ( it'll be an oral exam, similar to what Cambridge does in its Speaking exam, though it'll probably be easier and have some medical terms thrown in it ) due to my long hair.

It's worth mentioning the Uni has a lot of arabic students so I'm really curious as to how she'll react to all dem beards.

10+ Year Old Account
    If there are no rules against it and her syllabus makes no mention of it, I don't see how she can deny you admission to her class.

Beards are OK, long hair on men is for hippies.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    If there are no rules against it and her syllabus makes no mention of it, I don't see how she can deny you admission to her class.
    I'm fairly sure professors don't get to make their own rules.

And her subject is so freaking irrelevant ( seriously, it's English in a Medschool ) I don't see how she could make such demands.

You can't sue for something she hasn't done yet. Kinda sounds like you're out looking for a lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Beards are OK, long hair on men is for hippies.

Short hair is for people too lazy to wash their hair more than one time a week.

See, I can be a judgemental moron too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    You can't sue for something she hasn't done yet. Kinda sounds like you're out looking for a lawsuit.
    It's a '' what if... '' scenario.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    I would stay away from suing someone as much as you can. The second you bring legal into things.. Throw real ideas aside, and let money, and courts decide your fate will about 75% of the time - usually - end with your demise.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post

And her subject is so freaking irrelevant ( seriously, it's English in a Medschool ) I don't see how she could make such demands.
    It's her classroom. instructors have say in their classrooms.

Deleted
    Not sure how relevant it is based on the little information you have given. But uniform and appearance is allowed to be justified by sex. It's only discrimination against the sex which is can bring a claim.

Rather than jumping straight to suing, you should probably look to see if their is anything in your university's guidelines about appearance. I can imagine what she is suggesting will be contrary to your university's code of practice.

http://www.rubinsteinpublishing.com/...spx?id=1042254

This is of course assuming you're in the UK.
    Last edited by mmoc66558867f2; 2015-06-06 at 10:59 PM.

Deleted
    So you actually haven't been neglected/reprehended from anything yet?

Short hair is for people too lazy to wash their hair more than one time a week.

See, I can be a judgemental moron too.
    Usually questioning long hair on men is a "trigger" for hippies.

Not to mention hippies usually tend to lean liberal, and liberals love to sue and cry inequality.

So...

just tell her its against your religion to cut your hair, confrontation avoided.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd first take it up with the head of the department, She's allowed her opinion on what is proper but if it's not against the rules she can't do anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Usually questioning long hair on men is a "trigger" for hippies.

Not to mention hippies usually tend to lean liberal, and liberals love to sue and cry inequality.

So...
    You seem pretty defensive. I recommend Clear, it's a good shampoo.

So you actually haven't been neglected/reprehended from anything yet?
    Hence why I wrote '' COULD '' and not '' CAN ''.

Take it to who ever signs her check.

10+ Year Old Account

The way they did it at my Tech school was the teacher would write up the syllabus, which included separate rules to the class, and give it to his/her boss for review. As long as the class rules didn't conflict with the school policy there wasn't a problem.

And some people can be weird once they have power over others. I'm guessing she wants to test you to see how bad you want to pass her class. Probably the type that doesn't believe you should get a passing grade just because your book smart and wants you to look like a "professional." I had a teacher in High school that didn't grade reports on what was written in them, she graded them based on how pretty the cover page looked. >.>

You seem pretty defensive. I recommend Clear, it's a good shampoo.
    I keep my head shaved. I prefer people recognize me as a man and not a woman.

You can probably sue if she is giving you no other reason for not admitting you than your appearance when no such standard is in place, which you said the University has no rules for. I would check if the department has rules. I'm in Elementary Education and there are rules for dressing, jewelry and hygiene the school holds me to.

In any case, if your professor makes an issue of it just ask the professor to cite the requirement the school has put in place for it.

Just because ONE individual holds traditional views doesn't mean you should sue, but I think you could bring a court case against the University or professor to make sure that individuals aren't being pressured into looking a specific way. Some courts do hold Universities accountable for the individuals they hire, especially if there are other cases of abuse of power.

With ANY oral exam you should be trying to look professional, as professionals are grading you. Beards, long hair and improper dressing will get you a poor grade. A man-bun, properly trimmed facial hair and dressing well will at least assist in getting you a better grade.

I just don't like the idea of suing a University because there is one bad apple.
    Last edited by Martinczo; 2015-06-07 at 12:12 AM.
    ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ AMD 970
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition
    2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB
    EVGA GeForce GTX 660 FTW 2GB
    Intel 330 Series 240GB, Mushkin Enhanced 120GB, Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200 RPM

Deleted

It's a '' what if... '' scenario.
    You know it sounds more like you're frustrated more than you being genuienly curious, right? It's a very stupid "what if"-scenario.

Or you could, I dunno, act like a grown up and ask the professor directly what the deal is.

Reminds me of people who call the cops on a neighbor for a barking dog, instead of you know, knocking on the door and trying to have a conversation with them.