Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

The first road-legal self-driving truck

Source: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/05/...driving-truck/

Last night, on the Hoover Dam, Freightliner (which is owned by automotive giant Daimler) unveiled the first road-legal self-driving truck. At the event last night, the Inspiration Truck (yes really) was awarded an official autonomous vehicle license plate by the governor of Nevada.
    The lorry has the same "NHTSA Level 3" rating as Google's self-driving car, which means that it's fully autonomous, but that the driver still has to be able to take over "with sufficiently comfortable transition time" if the need arises. In this case, while the Inspiration Truck could drive itself for hundreds of miles without driver intervention, Daimler is framing this as a conversation around driver fatigue. According to Daimler, 90 percent of truck crashes are due to driver error, and driver fatigue plays a role in 1/8th of those crashes.

Wolfgang Bernhard, head of Daimler's truck company, said at the event last night that the company tested driver brain activity with and without the autonomous driving system enabled. With the system turned on, "driver drowsiness decreases by about 25 percent."

.....This brings back memories of a certain simpsons episode. Truckers all over are going to ram these things off the roads because they cause them to lose money.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

10+ Year Old Account
    This is nice, but can we focus on killing long distance trucking period?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    This is nice, but can we focus on killing long distance trucking period?
    I don't see how unless we got teleporters all of the sudden and got over UPS and mail services lobbying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    I don't see how unless we got teleporters all of the sudden and got over UPS and mail services lobbying.
    There is this wonderful thing called rail freight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the first thing that came to mind as well. I'd rather see automated traffic on rails than the highways. I suppose it depends on how safe the technology is. If accident rates are lower than human drivers it may just be a matter of getting used to it as a human.

10+ Year Old Account
    The modern US infrastructure is not adequately designed to do this. And considering that the US is insufficient at even maintaining its roads from normal wear and tear, I don't really see the investment being put down for this. As it is, the system is very burdened and would probably not be capable of taking the reins back from highway infrastructure.

10+ Year Old Account
    i welcome our new driverless vehicles.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Oh no! Truckers are getting replaced by computers!

The US is so big that it wouldn't be practical to put a rail depot within a hundred miles of everyone and it would tear up a lot of land. And even if you did put in the tremendous amount of rail to get within a hundred miles of everyone, you'd still need trucks to move cargo the hundred miles.

And cars can share the roads with trucks which is an added benefit, rails are for trains alone.

The amount of cargo moved by rail and truck has doubled in the last thirty years with rail moving less. But both rail and trucking are doing very well. Water born cargo is falling behind.

Problem with trucking is that you have to engineer your roads so well as to put up with all the weight of the trucks.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Mentia View Post
    Oh no! Truckers are getting replaced by computers!
    I fucking hope so. I always die two deaths when I have a stupid trucker pivoting his death machine halfway on the left lane because he has to scratch his balls or whatever, and doesn't pay enough attention to where his truck is actually going. Meanwhile, I'm coming at high speed from behind and don't know whether to full break, or to swerve to the right because the truck is going to keep on pivoting completely to the left lane.

No really, self driving trucks all day. I welcome them more than anything.

As long as the technology is safe and sophisticated of course.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    I fucking hope so. I always die two deaths when I have a stupid trucker pivoting his death machine halfway on the left lane because he has to scratch his balls or whatever, and doesn't pay enough attention to where his truck is actually going. Meanwhile, I'm coming at high speed from behind and don't know whether to full break, or to swerve to the right because the truck is going to keep on pivoting completely to the left lane.

No really, self driving trucks all day. I welcome them more than anything.

As long as the technology is safe and sophisticated of course.
    Truckers are much safer drivers than the average driver. You're looking at the wrong vehicles.
    http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications...umanfac/04085/ Trucks drive 7% of total miles drivin in the US, but are involved in 13% of all accidents, but they are only at fault 16% of the time.
    The only downside, is you're much more likely to die in an accident involving a truck.

It looks really good !

Quote Originally Posted by Tommys View Post
    Truckers are much safer drivers than the average driver. You're looking at the wrong vehicles.
    http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications...umanfac/04085/ Trucks drive 7% of total miles drivin in the US, but are involved in 13% of all accidents, but they are only at fault 16% of the time.
    The only downside, is you're much more likely to die in an accident involving a truck.
    That's data for US truck drivers

Come to Europe and witness some of these eastern and southern European drivers with their fucked up machines with almost no brakes. It's no joke.

Oh, it's a 60 in a road work area? Fuck it, 90 it is, gotta stick to those schedules. Breaking? Lol what breaking?

It's funny when you have a 10 tons 2 meters behind you because he confused his truck with a Porsche

Come to Europe and witness some of these eastern and southern European drivers with their fucked up machines with almost no brakes. It's no joke.
    Even worse in some other areas. In Africa we lose 10% of our fleet every year, but I can't see how a self driving truck would cope here at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's data for US truck drivers

Oh, it's a 60 in a road work area? Fuck it, 90 it is, gotta stick to those schedules. Breaking? Lol what breaking?

It's funny when you have a 10 tons 2 meters behind you because he confused his truck with a Porsche
    Now don't exaggerate, much rather refer to reality.. Truckers are for once the MUCH better drivers, hands down. That's a fact from the procedures involved in obtaining the drivers license for the vehicles.
    Secondly, they also abide by the laws more than the average driver.
    Why?
    Because they rely on their drivers license. It's their living. No license, no job. No job, no income.

Job............. Now there is the one and only real issue.
    The problems with trucking comes from business. Irresponsible, unreasonable demands by the employers of the truckers, caused by just as much idiotic expectations of the contractors/customers of the trucking companies, leads to the majority of the accidents involving trucks.
    If you're told to bring those 30 tons of goods to the destination 1200 miles away in 24 hours, you are primed to break the laws and turn into a safety risk for yourself and other traffic participants.
    Mathematically you'd have to make a distance of 50 miles per hour. Means you'd have to drive with maintained speed of 50mph.
    That sounds easy to do... Yeah... No.
    You still have to stop to take breaks, you need sleep, and all the good stuff. All of a sudden you find yourself speeding, sleep deprived. And that is a recipe for disaster, given how you have a 30 tons heavy weapon under your ass..
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

The US has the largest rail network in the world by a wide, wide margin. There's only so many freight trains you can run, and you'll still need trucking for intrastate freight.

Deleted
    At least in a lorry, if it does malfunction and crash into another vehicle, the other car is the one who has to worry about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    The US has the largest rail network in the world by a wide, wide margin.
    That is........ false...

by mileage yes...... But not by efficiency....
    it misses heaps of connection points and crisscrossing
    Compare the network sizes with the country sizes, and you see why I the correct answer is false.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2015-06-07 at 12:36 PM.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    That is........ false...
    China would be number 2 and we double them.

Hell we move like 5-10 times more tonnage than all of the EU.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    by mileage yes...... But not by efficiency....
    it misses heaps of connection points and crisscrossing
    How do you know about efficiency? Inefficient rails are removed or abandoned. It is one of the largest money making businesses.