Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I've met him. It's an act for his TV shows. In real life, he's a genuine, compassionate guy, who just loves making food right.
    Yeah, I thought it was known it was TV shtick. Watch The F Word for a better idea.

Yellow Tail is usually my go to when I need something for cooking. Barefoot is another good brand for this.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've met him. It's an act for his TV shows. In real life, he's a genuine, compassionate guy, who just loves making food right.
    He's passionate about food, that's for sure..... And he certainly doesn't go after everyone and everywhere.
    But he is also known for not so flattering and nice things that happened off the cameras. Far from his TV shows.
    http://www.eater.com/2012/11/21/6518...their-shitlist

And the issue about the reservation book...
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/m...ink.travelnews
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    He's passionate about food, that's for sure..... And he certainly doesn't go after everyone and everywhere.
    But he is also known for not so flattering and nice things that happened off the cameras. Far from his TV shows.

Pretty much everybody has skeletons in their closets. Condemning him because of his is just lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Vodka is meant to be odorless and tasteless. It doesn't add much to cooking beside alcohol unless the Vodka is terrible...
    It's the volitile nature of alcohol. Add it into a tomato sauce and saute for a minute, you get more fragrance from the tomatoes and herbs.

...and it's not odorless. It smells like alcohol.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, and I've been in detox a couple times, cheated on a girlfriend, and so on. None of us are perfect.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

It's the volitile nature of alcohol. Add it into a tomato sauce and saute for a minute, you get more fragrance from the tomatoes and herbs.

...and it's not odorless. It smells like alcohol.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, and I've been in detox a couple times, cheated on a girlfriend, and so on. None of us are perfect.
    High stress job is high stress.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Completely wrong. You should never cook with a wine you wouldn't drink
    Complete and utter bullshit. Right in line with 'using a garlic press makes a dish bitter!'

There is fundamentally no difference between using a fine vintage wine and two buck chuck. In fact, using old wine for cooking is an excellent way to reduce waste.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Complete and utter bullshit. Right in line with 'using a garlic press makes a dish bitter!'

There is fundamentally no difference between using a fine vintage wine and two buck chuck. In fact, using old wine for cooking is an excellent way to reduce waste.
    Recall I suggested using Trader Joe's 3 buck chuck in my first post in this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Recall I suggested using Trader Joe's 3 buck chuck in my first post in this thread.
    Bingo. Cheap or even corked wine will work fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    High stress job is high stress.
    Last night I ordered a Highball after work. The bartender started pouring, and I'm like, "No, I want a REALLY Highball." He responds, "Two shots then?" Me: "No, that's just a double. A REAL Highball is 3. I asked for a REALLY Highball. Four. Pint glass. Ginger ale."

Life in the biz.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Bingo. Cheap or even corked wine will work fine.
    Noooooooooooooooo!

NEVER cook with corked wine. Well, I guess you could if you want your food to taste exactly like moldy basement.

Cheap wine is fine, though. If it's drinkable it's suitable for cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefeng View Post
    Noooooooooooooooo!

NEVER cook with corked wine. Well, I guess you could if you want your food to taste exactly like moldy basement.

Cheap wine is fine, though. If it's drinkable it's suitable for cooking.

Heh. We have 5 gallon boxed wine for our cooking purposes. I may be able to verify it's suitable for drinking.

Hey all; chef reporting in. For a Bolognese sauce, I personally use Cabernet sauvignon. It's a good wine to use with red meats, and an all-around good cooking wine. If you're looking for a cheaper bottle just to cook with at home, Cupcake has a pretty good one for the price tag it has.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakaji View Post
    Hey all; chef reporting in. For a Bolognese sauce, I personally use Cabernet sauvignon. It's a good wine to use with red meats, and an all-around good cooking wine. If you're looking for a cheaper bottle just to cook with at home, Cupcake has a pretty good one for the price tag it has.
    Thanks. Ill try it!

Find out what Joe or Lidia Bastianich have to say instead.
    Joe knows every shit about wines and is a top chef, his mother is an even better chef.
    Amazingly these people can cook without a tantrum or having to utter

"let me tell you"
    "stunning"
    "most amazing"
    every second sentence, like Ramsay does.
    If you pay attention to him talking and how often he repeats the same shit, you get the impression of a somewhat progressed retardation with that guy lol
    Okay sorry, I had to step back and defend our beloved patriarch Gordon for a moment.

While I understand that a lot of people think Gordon is a joke because of his television personality (and I'll admit, he obviously does ham it up a lot on some shows) they're really not giving the guy his due diligence. The man is an absolute colossus in my industry, and everyone knows and appreciates the amount of work he's done. He came from nothing, having grown up mostly with a single mother and his junkie older brother, and he worked HARD to make himself into the man he's become today. And he didn't get there just with his knowledge of food alone; he also has a very strong mind for business, and he's made his bones and more in one of the most competitive and risky industries out there with very little failure. Every single one of us in the industry acknowledges Gordon as one of the best chefs in a century, and anyone who doesn't is either jealous or being unfair.

I know he comes across as a loudmouth and as a rude prick to a lot of people, and yes, as I said before, he's obviously hamming it up a bit for the telly. But really, that's how chefs are. I've worked with some that are even worse than the television version of Gordon, and that's terrifying to think about. That's a product of our environment. When you're 30 tickets deep on a Friday night in a 120 degree environment with plates breaking, fires roaring, knives flying and backs starting to give out, no one has time for "Hey guys, this isn't right. Let's get the next one done better, okay?" It has to be done perfectly, and it has to be done NOW, or the whole ship sinks.

So yeah, he throws a tantrum now and then on television. That's fine. i don't particularly like Hell's Kitchen anyway, and I understand why his public image is what it is. But take it from me that everyone should pay the man his due and proper and recognize that he's one of our best and brightest, and we love him.

I know he comes across as a loudmouth and as a rude prick to a lot of people...
    And he's one of my idols. Anyone hasn't worked in a kitchen needs to read http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/...kitchen-advice

I would rephrase some, and add more, but that's a good start.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh. We have 5 gallon boxed wine for our cooking purposes. I may be able to verify it's suitable for drinking.
    You have your terminology incorrect. A corked wine (also called cork taint) is one that is infected with 2,4,6-trichloroanisole (TCA) or 2,4,6-tribromoanisole (TBA). The infected wine smells and tastes like cardboard if the infection is mild, like moldy basement if the infection is strong. Even wines in boxes can have cork taint.

Wines with corks are just referred to as "wine sealed with a cork" in the industry. "Corked wine" is tainted wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefeng View Post
    You have your terminology incorrect. A corked wine (also called cork taint) is one that is infected with 2,4,6-trichloroanisole (TCA) or 2,4,6-tribromoanisole (TBA). The infected wine smells and tastes like cardboard if the infection is mild, like moldy basement if the infection is strong. Even wines in boxes can have cork taint.

Wines with corks are just referred to as "wine sealed with a cork" in the industry. "Corked wine" is tainted wine.
    I'm fully familiar. That's why I use bag-in-box wine for cooking. Or little bottles of Champagne (about 1 cup, 240 ml) for the Champagne Vinaigrette, and so on.

Okay sorry, I had to step back and defend our beloved patriarch Gordon for a moment.

While I understand that a lot of people think Gordon is a joke because of his television personality (and I'll admit, he obviously does ham it up a lot on some shows) they're really not giving the guy his due diligence. The man is an absolute colossus in my industry, and everyone knows and appreciates the amount of work he's done. He came from nothing, having grown up mostly with a single mother and his junkie older brother, and he worked HARD to make himself into the man he's become today. And he didn't get there just with his knowledge of food alone; he also has a very strong mind for business, and he's made his bones and more in one of the most competitive and risky industries out there with very little failure. Every single one of us in the industry acknowledges Gordon as one of the best chefs in a century, and anyone who doesn't is either jealous or being unfair.

I know he comes across as a loudmouth and as a rude prick to a lot of people, and yes, as I said before, he's obviously hamming it up a bit for the telly. But really, that's how chefs are. I've worked with some that are even worse than the television version of Gordon, and that's terrifying to think about. That's a product of our environment. When you're 30 tickets deep on a Friday night in a 120 degree environment with plates breaking, fires roaring, knives flying and backs starting to give out, no one has time for "Hey guys, this isn't right. Let's get the next one done better, okay?" It has to be done perfectly, and it has to be done NOW, or the whole ship sinks.

So yeah, he throws a tantrum now and then on television. That's fine. i don't particularly like Hell's Kitchen anyway, and I understand why his public image is what it is. But take it from me that everyone should pay the man his due and proper and recognize that he's one of our best and brightest, and we love him.
    I certainly can't do what Chef's do for a living. Closest I've come is working the grill line and kitchen prep at Bob Evan's when I was 16. I'll stick with my IT job and you guys can cook my dinner.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cook with anything you would drink. Outside of that go by the general rule that anything from California is aged in steel, so it'll just develop fruit flavors and richness. If you need something slightly more earthy try and find a french wine since they're usually oak aged.