Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    I would assume that was with a service contract given the retail cost of the phone.
    It is not. The other one I was gonna recommend is the ZTE Whirl 2 for $10 at Family Dollar/Dollar General, however they don't have root access so you can't do CM or anything. But its a cheap, perfectly good android phone. Not exactly powerful, but I don't know if thats important or not.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    It is not. The other one I was gonna recommend is the ZTE Whirl 2 for $10 at Family Dollar/Dollar General, however they don't have root access so you can't do CM or anything. But its a cheap, perfectly good android phone. Not exactly powerful, but I don't know if thats important or not.
    Best Buy says they are 39$ with a contract.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, my bad. Apparently the $25 deal ended literally yesterday. You can still get it for $39 without contract and the $25 best buy gift cert though, which is a decent deal if you ever buy stuff at best buy (might be able to sell the cert, too, dunno)

And you don't need a contract. Just select 'no contract'.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Samsung Galaxy Player and Sony Walkman F-series

took me like... 20secs to google "Android Alternatives to iPod touch"

Also alternatively, you could've just gotten a really cheap phone, don't see why that would cause a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Ah, my bad. Apparently the $25 deal ended literally yesterday. You can still get it for $39 without contract and the $25 best buy gift cert though, which is a decent deal if you ever buy stuff at best buy (might be able to sell the cert, too, dunno)

And you don't need a contract. Just select 'no contract'.
    Sorry, you need a "plan" rather then a "contract". Still equates to paying for phone service I do not need or want.

EDIT: I stand corrected. The price is the same without a plan. Odd wording on their web page makes it confusing. I'll do a bit more research as to if it can run sans SIM card, but it may be what I need.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post

Also alternatively, you could've just gotten a really cheap phone, don't see why that would cause a problem.
    Both discontinued and never got an Android update.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    I got the M-Horse for my Aunt as a gift for her AT&T service. Pretty darn amazing phone except for it's battery life. Other than that the phone works good. Not bad for $100 contract free phone. The dual core is cheaper and goes for $70. BTW it comes from China so gotta be patient.

Then you have the Asus Zenfone 5 for $136. Not as good as the Zenfone 2 but still decent specs for that price. Intel Atom Z2580 CPU and has an upgrade available for Lolipop. Probably has huge community support so root shouldn't be a problem.

Both contract free phones with dual sim cards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post

Did you look at the versions on those? Both of those run Android 4.0, which is close to 3 years out of date.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Did you look at the versions on those? Both of those run Android 4.0, which is close to 3 years out of date.
    The Galaxy Player has CM 12 available for it, so it is still totally current as far as OS is concerned.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    I'll do a bit more research as to if it can run sans SIM card, but it may be what I need.
    I can't imagine how it could not function without a SIM; all the SIM does is connect it to the right network. The device has to be able to work without the SIM so they can even install the SIM.

As an example, my OnePlus was totally functional without a SIM (it doesn't ship with one).

And like i posted above, the Galaxy Player is still supported by CyanogenMod - right up to 12.1 (which is 100% current Android).

If you're relying on devices stock firmware... yuck. Youll hate that 39.99 phone to death.

A non-phone Android?
    Isn't there a Android OS that's free that can be installed, and loaded from USB? I'd think that'd be perfect for development / App building and Coding.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!