10+ Year Old Account

Master of Orion - Reboot on the horizon

Polygon article: http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/9/8746...world-of-tanks

Having played quite a bit of MoO 2, looking forward to trying this!

Master of Orion, the classic turn-based strategy game series dormant since for more then a decade, is back with better graphics and refocused gameplay thanks to an injection of developers and money by World of Tanks publisher Wargaming.

Wargaming purchased the rights to the Master of Orion property in 2013 during an Atari bankruptcy auction. Today, the company announced its plans to reboot Master of Orion, developing the first game in the series since 2003's Master of Orion 3.

While Wargaming originally made a name for itself with the science fiction strategy game Massive Assault, the company decided to bring on Argentinian-based NGD Studios to create the reboot with the help of key members from the original game's team.

Players can expect a revamped user interface, an orchestral score from the original game's composer, voiceovers by well-known actors, new user tutorials, according to the announcement.

"Master of Orion is a game that brings Wargaming truly back to its roots, not only as a company but also in how it influenced my personal interest in both games and making them," said Victor Kislyi, CEO of Wargaming. "The series' iconic gameplay has stood the test of time and working with NGD Studios to bring the series back to life is a truly exciting moment for the team."

Andrés Chilkowski, co-founder and CEO of NGD Studios, said the studio has made many improvements to the over all game, but that it retained its classic gameplay.

As with previous games in the series, players will manage colonies and populations; choose how much to focus on research, production, resources, military power; and race to be the first to conquer the stars.

The game will still allow players to win through conquest, diplomacy, technology or economy, according to Wargaming, and players will still have to worry over their civilization's morale, pollution, taxes and defenses. Random events and anomalies will add variety to gameplay as well.

When it's finished, the game will include the series' original races: Alkari, Bulrathi, Darlok, Human, Klackon, Psilon, Meklar, Mrrshan, Sakkra and Silicoids. There will also be six different ship classes for each race and the ability to customize a ship's missiles, engines, armor, shields, scanners, bombs and lasers. The game will include more than 75 future technologies with hundreds of advancements.

Kislyi said Wargaming was "more than willing to give a new lease of life" to Master of Orion back when the company purchased rights to the series.

Check back later this week for our interview with the developers of the reboot.
    Ryzen 7 5800X - RX 6900 XT
    Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
    Corsair 4000D Airflow - 1x ASUS 27" VG27AQ - 2x iiyama 24”

Deleted
    I hope that it will be as good as Master of Orion 1 or 2, and that it won't be an MMO (wargaming :/)

So long as it is more MoO 1 and 2 and nothing like MoO 3.

Master of Orion is so much of a certain time in my life. That glorious past when I could sit down on a Friday after work, start playing, and nobody would bother me until Sunday night. It was a glorious time, but it tasted like the ashes of loneliness. Nowadays I'm never lonely in my own home, husband and kid take care of that. And I do love them (obligatory protest).

But when this game comes out, I will buy it. I will play it for a few glorious hours. And then just when it's getting good, I'm going to have to stop because of some stupid reason like my child needs to be fed or my husband thinks I'm dead. Maybe I can buy them a vacation somewhere else on launch weekend?

There is already a faithful MOO 2 clone - its called StarDrive 2.

The game is basically identical to MOO 2, but has rehashed graphics, some updated concepts and better UI.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yay another classic turn based franchise goes all... Action, wonderful :'(
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

God I hated playing a Huge galaxy on any of the higher difficulties and finding out the Klackons were the strongest NPC civ. I would basically restart right then, because their production bonuses were just too overwhelming. I would be destroying like 20,000 ships a turn and still lose because every fleet they attacked with had 32k fighters, 32k med ships, 32k of the size above that and at least 10k of the next size above that etc. So I couldn't win even with the ability to fit deathrays on something as small as a fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    So long as it is more MoO 1 and 2 and nothing like MoO 3.
    We do not speak of that monstrosity, it has been stricken from our collective memory and its existence disavowed.

Fuck yeah MoO reboot, played the hell out of 1 and 2, and still have the CD-Rom for MoO 2 floating around some where...I wonder if I can get it to work on Windows 7.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardhyn View Post
    Now this is just blatant trolling, at least before you had the credibility of maybe being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.