Deleted

Low on memory warning with no programs running!

Hi, a friend of mine asked for my help but I can't suggest a "fix" for it except to either reinstall the OS or just do some maintenance tasks like cleaning/defragging etc which I doubt would fix it.

The problem is that when the computer turns on and loads the desktop, the warning message on the screen shot below shows up. Google Chrome also keeps crashing due to "low memory" and the RAM is more than fine:

This seems to be a popular problem but cannot seem to find any fix except the odd "reinstall your OS" fix but its frustrating because the computer only just recently was reset..

Any help would be brilliant!
    Thank you for reading!

Quote Originally Posted by MayronEU View Post
    Hi, a friend of mine asked for my help but I can't suggest a "fix" for it except to either reinstall the OS or just do some maintenance tasks like cleaning/defragging etc which I doubt would fix it.

The problem is that when the computer turns on and loads the desktop, the warning message on the screen shot below shows up. Google Chrome also keeps crashing due to "low memory" and the RAM is more than fine:

This seems to be a popular problem but cannot seem to find any fix except the odd "reinstall your OS" fix but its frustrating because the computer only just recently was reset..

Any help would be brilliant!
    Thank you for reading!
    Odd problem to have. What does the task manager show for performance statistics? And does it show a process using up most of the memory?

And love that UI Mayron

Yea. The 3.8 useable doesn't mean what he thinks it means. You have to check that from the task manager (I think).

Did he follow the (extremely misguided imo) advise to turn off his swap file? That's the only thing I can think of, other than some sort of malware.

If he turned off the swap, or set it very low, turn it back on and place it on the HDD (assuming he has a HDD and SDD).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurimas View Post
    Yea. The 3.8 useable doesn't mean what he thinks it means. You have to check that from the task manager (I think).

Did he follow the (extremely misguided imo) advise to turn off his swap file? That's the only thing I can think of, other than some sort of malware.

If he turned off the swap, or set it very low, turn it back on and place it on the HDD (assuming he has a HDD and SDD).
    I wasn't really referring to the 3.8 useable but just the fact that the laptop has 4GB of RAM and no programs are running so hardly any should be used.
    It's a laptop which has never been modified or touched inside so not sure if that's the case but I'll simply try to scan for malware etc first

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    Odd problem to have. What does the task manager show for performance statistics? And does it show a process using up most of the memory?

And love that UI Mayron
    That's what I thought too! I'll have to reply when my friend gets out from work as she's not replying atm but I do know that nothing major was showing up in the task manager at all. Glad you like my UI haha

do you have nvidia geforce experience? turn of streaming services if you do