Thread: Dps

7+ Year Old Account

Dps

So from what I'm seeing in recount is that dps isn't static. This is confusing me when trying to figure out what my dps should be. For example on the start of a fight you use cooldowns and that overall increases dps and goes back down when it wears off.

So if you are trying to find your dps on a given encounter, how do you measure it? At which point of the fight do you look at in your dps? With cooldowns up or not? If someone asks how much dps I can do, I wouldn't know how to answer it.

10+ Year Old Account
    at the end of the fight, duh
    3ds fc 0576 4895 9192
    ice safari with snorunt sneasel and lapras

pm me if you add me!

Overall dps typically doesn't matter as long as its within a certain range.

What's important is how much dmg you're doing to priority targets, where it matters.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

dps(a) is the dps you are doing at any given moment during the encounter, and is shown on recount. When you die your dps may decrease for a few seconds but then freezes because you are no longer actively doing damage. Thats why some people with higher dps end up lower on the meter. DPS(e) is effective dps and is what is shown on warcraftlogs for rankings. This number doesn't freeze and is the more important number to look at in terms of dps that someone is doing. If you don't die your dps(a) may be lower, but your overall damage and dps(e) will be much higher than that person.

To find out how much dps you should be doing, you look at your general ilvl keeping trinkets and weapons in mind and most raiders can probably generalize how much damage you could be doing. Someone in 690 ilvl can / should be doing around 40k dps on guul, someone at 680 around 28-34k depending on class+weps+trinkets. Ect.

If you install and use simulationcraft you can import your character and find out how much dps you 'can' do at your ilvl. Most people try to get as close to their sim as possible, as a goal of how much dps they should be doing.

when someone asks what your dps is, they want to know what your recount reads at the end of a fight with only 1 target, and little movement, like gruul. Keep reading through these forums and you will learn more. And i would reccomend; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgDjG_0ecTI its dated but lists alot of good ideas, and look at the guides for your class in these forums and read all of those pages if you can.

Recount uses dps (A)...
    You should NEVER be using this as a metric to determine if you are doing well/correctly.

On a static fight boss (Gruul in BRF), you should be looking at DPS(E) which recount doesn't use... but if you go to Damage done in recount, I believe it shows DPS(E) in parenthesis.

DPS E is damage done divided by time in combat. This is also what warcraftlogs.com uses primarily in its dps rankings system (I think?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Recount is useless. Get used to analyzing warcraftlogs.

When you are analyzing your DPS, you need a measure of both your DPS(E) as well focused DPS on key targets. If you want to improve your contribution as a DPS class to the raid, one possible way is to compare your log with a similar ilevel range log with higher DPS using warcraft logs using the compare tool.

This will give you an idea on where you stand against your peers and help you improve.

Also, when you compare logs, please don't compare your damage output with someone way higher in gear level than you.

7+ Year Old Account
    DPS meters are used ONLY as a basic threshold. Such that if a boss requires everyone to do 15k dps or more, it is helpful to know that all raid members are able to accomplish this minimum.

Other than that, there is no widespread use for DPS meters. You can use them as a personal resource to see how changes you make affect your dps.

The biggest focus for raids should always be mechanics. Sadly, many many players are too lazy and can't be bothered to learn/practice the mechanics of a fight while they are much more concerned with doing the most dps as humanly possible which is just backwards thinking.

Deleted
    You start by not measuring your own dps figure against a sim that was done on a training dummy for a specified amount of time. If you want to check your damage against a sim, then use simcraft with the correct settings to best match the fight you are interested in.

You also measure yourself against others in your raid for damage done to your priority targets (not overall damage).

Overall dps typically doesn't matter as long as its within a certain range.
    Last edited by shahaodou; 2015-06-11 at 07:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    If someone asks how much dps I can do, I wouldn't know how to answer it.
    Common practice for answering this question is to take the highest DPS you've ever seen yourself do on the meters at the end of an encounter, then add ~20% and quote this number.

Deleted
    Other note, don't get too hung up on your dps (at least on certain fights).

I main as a MM hunter which has shockingly bad AoE but very good single-target dps. Therefore on fights like Blast Furnace I will often appear 5-6th overall in our raid (we raid heroic, usually 2-3-7 or 2-4-9) but I'll have the highest damage on the Operators, Elementalists and on Heart of the Mountain which is key to the fight.

DPS isn't the only valid metric in raiding for dps spec players. It IS still important though and as a previous poster has said, if you are asked "what dps do you do" then they're really asking what you do single-target over a 5-ish minute fight. I'd suggest you do Gruul and use recount/skada to measure your DAMAGE DONE. Both will, by default, note your damage done with your Effective DPS in parentheses (calculated by damage done divided by length of fight).

e.g. 9.79m (40.1k) means you did just under 9.8 million damage meaning the fight would have took just over 4 minutes.

My guild only raids very casualy, we have not done that much myth progress in this xpac due to not havin enough ppl most of the time online.

But but, in general knowing your dps is fairly important to you, so you can compare it to the theoretical and realistic maximun dps-numbers you can check from Simcraft etc.
    But in terms of raid progression I have found the groups overall dps way more important, that 1 players dps. Sure, if someone is doing 15k dps with an ilvl of 685 I will tell them, that you have some issues with your spell/ability priority and I will ask them to leave the raid, specialy on the tougher boss fights where they do not carry their weight.

Sometimes when we were still doing progress at BRF-hc I actually asked my players to turn their recount off on fights like Maidens where the bombs were SOOO hard to avoid, cuz you know, I'll just finnish this one cast and move then, so my dps does not drop.

Recount and Skada are good tools, but the gameplay should not revolve around topping them. If your group is beating the enrage timer and you are not bellow tanks and are not dying after 40sec into the fight to a silly thing, you are all clear.

This actually did not reply to the OP at all, but just some random text, since I felt like typing :P