Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Which fictional characters have you identified with and why?

Just another little get to know you thread because I'm kind of sick of the news ones, so, whether as a child or an adult, what characters have you really identified with? Which ones really reminded you of yourself, or maybe even reminded you of what you feel you're supposed to be? What traits do you share with them?

I can think of 3, possibly 4 right now. In chronological order: Bastien Baltharzar Bux from "The Neverending Story", the movie, not the book. Haven't yet read the book. His head was always in the clouds, he could never focus on schoolwork because he was having his own little fantasies in his mind, spending a good deal of his free time with his nose buried in a book, always enjoying the more fantastical types of reads. Yeah, he always struck a chord with me, growing up and as an adult. This is how I imagine a lot of people see me irl, only with a computer, now, because ebooks are hypoallergenic and don't stain my fingers black.

Second, the Christina Ricci version of Wednesday Addams from the 1991 and 1993 Addams Family movies, which is also my current avatar, even though she was basically a walking one-liner. Always looking on the dark side of life, independent, never one for hugs or approval seeking from elders, a fascination with the macabre and morose, a complete rejection of the traditional in favor of only what she actually enjoys. She says what's on her mind, often unfiltered, stating things in a matter of fact, blunt and tactless way that causes others to feel uncomfortable. SJWs would probably never stop shouting "TRIGGERED" at her. She also seems to see right through society and likes to expose people's hypocrisy and absurdity. Even her intense bickering with siblings, yet still knowing that deep down you care about them, even if you're loathe to do so, is right up my alley. Well, as a kid, it was. Wednesday reminds me most of my internal life, my thoughts about the world, how I really feel about the people I encounter and some of the values I hold.

Third, Daria Morgendorffer, my de facto favorite fictional character. An almost pure cynic, again, pointing out the hypocrisy and absurdity of the things she and her friend, Jane, see around them in observationally comedic ways. Sort of Seinfeldish, but focusing more on social mores than knives that can cut thru shoes and airplane peanuts. Just chillin with a friend, eating pizza and watching TV, reading in her spare time, judging people by their actions, beliefs and thought processes, not the way they look, and wanting (but not expecting) others to do the same for her, all good qualities. If she has a legitimate problem with someone, she'll probably take some time to think about it, then try to talk things thru with them in a calm and rational manner. She's also not above sticking up for people she otherwise despises if they've been wronged by someone, nor is she above "corrupting" the children of fundie parents with the devil's music: The Beatles. She was like the original hipster, and WAY before it was cool. She definitely has a lot of my values, but is also more active in combating stupidity than I am, even though she IS fairly apathetic and pragmatic about it, definitely has more clever lines than me (but she had writers, so . . .), and pretty much wears the same shit all the time. Also prone to brief fits of stupid humanity, like getting a piercing just because someone she's attracted to thinks it would look good. Goddamn emotions getting in the way of thinking clearly. She has many qualities that I try to live up to, but usually fail at.

Savage Hulk seems to embody my temper. I start breaking stuff if I get too mad and wish I could do all the things he does. That's the only thing I can relate to with him, though.

Major Motoko Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex I think was born a male and doesn't really care that she's in a female cybernetic body now. I could be wrong about that, but if I'm not then it reminds me of how I'm not overly attached to my gender. Don't really care too much one way or the other, I'm fine with being a man, but if for some weird magicky reason I woke up in a woman's body tomorrow the only thing that would probably freak me out was the occurrence itself and not the outcome.

This will also be, I predict, a mostly "one and done" comments section, so please be as detailed as you like.
    Weird Al - I never feed trolls and I don't read spam
    Galen Hallcyon - The internet has shown us that everyone is a fuckin' moron.

10+ Year Old Account
    there's a difference between who you identify with, and who you like as a character. You might like a character you don't normally identify with because it doesn't reflect you but something you'd like to follow or be.

I guess as far as characters go in comics, movies, games and tv, one such character I'd relate close to would be wolverine, the guy who often feels like the loner, but still has responsibility to those closet to him, someone who has a daily struggle controlling part of himself (my diabeties/wolverines feral instincts), the guy who enjoys eating junk food and beer, but who appreciates beauty in other cultures. And the guy who sees red when certain people piss me off and I'd just love to pull some metal sharp claws on them, but of course I wouldn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Youngblood Hawke. He's human, with human failings, and I could imagine making some of the same mistakes he made in the same situation.

Wesley Crusher, at various times in my childhood, and even early career. I especially recall the episode where he's given command of a crew of people far older and more experienced than him and is expected to effectively manage them. I experienced several similar situations in the past, and am about to experience it again.

Culum Struan, in over his head at times, but able to fake it. Thrown in the deep end and expected to either learn to swim or die. Always a little intimidated at first by the powerful figures with strong personalities around him, but sticks to his principles and stands up when needed. A certain amount of uncertainty in new situations that gives way to confidence and respect from others over time.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2015-06-11 at 06:59 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Albert Einstein pre-patent clerk.

Deleted
    Ash from "Army of Darkness". Well, a more smarter version who gets that Klatu Berada Nec..thing right.

Deleted
    Joker.
    He's intelligent, nihilistic and with a wicked sense of humor.

15+ Year Old Account
    Adolf Hitler.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Data (and Spock) (From the Star Trek Universe) - I like that both were used to discuss humanity, and both used intellect as their greatest strength. I also like that they were both very anti-violence, and mainly focused on logic rather than emotion or human convention.

Q - (From the Star Trek Universe) I like bringing disruptive information to people that may not know something and watching to see what happens. Chaos/Entropy/Change and by extension knowledge have always appealed to me.
    I'd say that I identify with the philosophy of the Star Trek Universe as a whole. But to say I identify with Data (though he was always my favorite growing up) would be false, because I'm not emotionless, I don't struggle with the idea of humanity, and I don't feel like an outsider who's always trying to figure out how to fit in better. Though I do tend to have a greater emphasis on logic than feelings.

I've never identified with any fictional character. I have rooted for a few to make it or succeed. I cheered for Don Draper in Mad Men, maybe one of the better TV shows ever made, but I don't really have much in common with a man who made millions in the advertising industry back in the 1960's.

I cheered for Omar in the best TV series ever made, The Wire. But I don't have much in common with a black homosexual modern day cowboy who makes his living by robbing armed drug dealers.

Last edited by Independent voter; 2015-06-11 at 07:51 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Shogo Makisima psychopass

Hae-Joo Chang. Cloud Atlas.

Watch it and you will understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    No she shouldn't be removed she is an elected official and hasn't broken any laws just hurt some people's feelings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Daria: I was essentially her in HS, both in attitude and looks. Seriously, I looked exactly like her.

Sailor Moon: perpetual happiness, love of friends and family, a forgiving heart and can kick ass

10+ Year Old Account
    Podrick Payne
    Putin khuliyo

Fearnot, one of the many names given to the main character from The Story of the Youth Who Went Forth to Learn What Fear Was

yep, I identify most with someone too thick headed to know what he aught to be afraid of. The version from "The Story Teller" is amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I've never identified with any fictional character. I have rooted for a few to make it or succeed. I cheered for Don Draper in Mad Men, maybe one of the better TV shows ever made, but I don't really have much in common with a man who made millions in the advertising industry back in the 1960's.

I cheered for Omar in the best TV series ever made, The Wire. But I don't have much in common with a black homosexual modern day cowboy who makes his living by robbing armed drug dealers.

Don Draper is kind of a terrible human being.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Daria: I was essentially her in HS, both in attitude and looks. Seriously, I looked exactly like her.

Sailor Moon: perpetual happiness, love of friends and family, a forgiving heart and can kick ass
    You're blonde.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    the guy who sees red when certain people piss me off and I'd just love to pull some metal sharp claws on them, but of course I wouldn't.
    Word.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraltsBeard View Post
    Albert Einstein pre-patent clerk.
    What about him do you identify with? Also any fictional characters?
    Data (and Spock) (From the Star Trek Universe) - I like that both were used to discuss humanity, and both used intellect as their greatest strength. I also like that they were both very anti-violence, and mainly focused on logic rather than emotion or human convention.
    Data's awesome. Favorite Star Trek character.
    Q - (From the Star Trek Universe) I like bringing disruptive information to people that may not know something and watching to see what happens. Chaos/Entropy/Change and by extension knowledge have always appealed to me.
    lol, excellent. Another great character. I even sort of identify with him a little.

Probably Bender from Futurama. Not the constant drinking and partying - but the sarcastic sense of humor and the occasional desire to be the center of attention. I'm also of the belief that the world would be better off without humans, but I secretly hold a few people dear to me.

For some reason I cant think of any but the most recent one and the oldest one.

The oldest: Link from Zelda. Loner, trying to do the right thing, driven to a goal but not necessarily obsessed by it. Realizes the usefulness of a variety of objects and uses every advantage he can get to achieve victory. Embodiment of courage, I will stand where others flee, because someone has to. Life is full of puzzles, observe and figure out the solution.

The newest: Kirigaya Kazuto (Kirito) from Sword Art Online. Some of the same principles as Link. Does everything in his power to save, protect, and help others, but prefers to be alone. Always being the hero is a very stressful mindset. When your around others your always on high alert, if you relax or let down your guard someone could suffer, so you have to be much more vigilant than when you are alone. On your own you can count on your own reflexes and quickness to keep you alive, if you are not quick enough then you can count on your endurance to pull you through. Regardless of your own abilities, you are the only person who suffers and can just tough it out. Watching others get hurt, injured, killed, scarred, or abused is more painful than any wounds you could suffer in their stead. Determination is like a pit bull, once you lock on, there is nothing that can stop you. Although to be honest I much prefer light blades over Kirito's preference for heavy ones, and while I can dual wield I don't shun the shield, it is a useful and powerful tool. I am also more inclined to think through an obstacle after I have been rebuffed by it a few times rather than charge mindlessly hoping to breakthrough with sheer will (I understand/feel the desire to do so, it's just not very effective). Edit: Those are things that probably just come with age though.
    Last edited by Jaojin; 2015-06-11 at 07:59 PM.
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post

Those two seem so different from one another. That's an interesting combination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Natasha Kerensky - nuff said