Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cannot get Netflix to play at 1080 (Solved)

So I read a thing yesterday that said Chrome doesn't play Netflix at 1080p. I hadn't really noticed, honestly, but sure enough... It usually goes up to 720p. After fiddling though, I couldn't get it to go to 1080 on ANY browser, even though my buffering and bitrate is at the max, and my download speed is 60mbps+.

Mucked with some of the settings, tried "high" instead of "auto"... Nothing doing.

EDIT: Solved. Win7 is not supported for 1080p for Netflix.
    Last edited by chazus; 2015-06-17 at 07:50 PM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Try the windows app if that can play 1080p or your sub does not include 1080p playback.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not running Win 8.1, and my sub includes 1080 (Though it does not support 4k "Ultra")
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'm not running Win 8.1, and my sub includes 1080 (Though it does not support 4k "Ultra")
    You are going to hate this but unfortunately this is "working as intended" because of NetFlix's coding, as soon as you're using anything other than IE or Safari you will be defaulted to a max of 720p 3.000 kbps regardless of how fast your internet is.

They claim Chrome, Opera and FireFox cannot deal with 1080p HTML5 playback (which we all know is a load of bullshit).

So yeah... IE or you're screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    You are going to hate this but unfortunately this is "working as intended" because of NetFlix's coding, as soon as you're using anything other than IE or Safari you will be defaulted to a max of 720p 3.000 kbps regardless of how fast your internet is.

They claim Chrome, Opera and FireFox cannot deal with 1080p HTML5 playback (which we all know is a load of bullshit).

So yeah... IE or you're screwed.
    I found this as well, and also for some reason in chrome/firefox it would crash occasionally. I guess its not a huge deal to use IE for netflix as i don't use netflix on my computer that much anyway but its still annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except, I can't get it to play at 1080p on IE11 either.. AFter doing that research, I tried it out, still no dice.

You can Always try to reinstall silverlight but make sure you let the netflix site reinstall it, solved the problems I had (had no thumbnails anymore, different problem but you never know)

15+ Year Old Account
    Except, I can't get it to play at 1080p on IE11 either.. AFter doing that research, I tried it out, still no dice.
    Well... you're SoL then..

I know NetFlix has issues with some ISPs being dicks with Traffic Shaping.. perhaps you should check if your ISP is one such douchebag?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    You can Always try to reinstall silverlight but make sure you let the netflix site reinstall it, solved the problems I had (had no thumbnails anymore, different problem but you never know)
    Netflix don't use silverlight for browser viewing anymore.

Deleted
    I'm blank for once, how do I check which resolution Netflix in my browser plays at? My account setting is set to play max allowed quality. However I don't see any option to change quality in the player.
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2015-06-17 at 07:15 PM.

While I am at 8.1, the app worked great for both DTS and 1080p back when I was on 8 as well.
    I was also getting 1080p out of IE (back when I still had Netflix, darned ToS change).
    Have you tried re-downloading Silverlight? I had an odd issue that was resolved by doing this albeit it was with sound.

EDIT: according to posters above, it doesn't use Silverlight anymore, so ignore that last line.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    While I am at 8.1, the app worked great for both DTS and 1080p back when I was on 8 as well.
    I was also getting 1080p out of IE (back when I still had Netflix, darned ToS change).
    Have you tried re-downloading Silverlight? I had an odd issue that was resolved by doing this albeit it was with sound.

EDIT: according to posters above, it doesn't use Silverlight anymore, so ignore that last line.
    It does actually but not primarily anymore.
    HTML5 is now the primary player as far as I'm aware.

However the Silverlight thing might work if it for some reason still uses something of it as a base point.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can check your bitrate and resolution two ways.

1) Press Ctrl Shift Alt D
    2) Watch this video in Netflix, it displays rates: http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70136810?trkid=439131

- - - Updated - - -

Well, shit.

I did some more digging and testing... Apparently Netflix doesn't suppoer 1080p for Win7 (Or specifically, anything non Win8)

I fired up my laptop running win 8.1. Chrome still doesn't (which I expected) but IE takes a few moments to smooth buffer, but finally worked up to 1080p.

There you have it, a reason not to suggest Win7 anymore to anyone.

(For the record, buffer bitrate for 720 is 3000kbps, 1080 is 5800kbps.)

Deleted
    The results are the same for IE and Chrome for me on my laptop, Windows 8.1 (EU):

Well, shit.

I did some more digging and testing... Apparently Netflix doesn't suppoer 1080p for Win7 (Or specifically, anything non Win8)

I fired up my laptop running win 8.1. Chrome still doesn't (which I expected) but IE takes a few moments to smooth buffer, but finally worked up to 1080p.

There you have it, a reason not to suggest Win7 anymore to anyone.

(For the record, buffer bitrate for 720 is 3000kbps, 1080 is 5800kbps.)
    Hah what? That's silly.

Personally I'll just stick to Netflix from like, my Wii U or something, since I don't have double monitor anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is your DL speed?

Deleted
    60/30 connection, using wi-fi connection on the laptop. Let me go try on the desktop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    Netflix don't use silverlight for browser viewing anymore.
    what makes you say this? i cant use netflix in firefox as it gives some DRM error related to silverlight. after i read your post i tried disabling silverlight in firefox and it then jst tells me to install it when trying to watch through firefox

Deleted
    What is your DL speed?
    Alright I tested again on my desktop both in Chrome and IE and both got me 720x480.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Personally I'll just stick to Netflix from like, my Wii U or something, since I don't have double monitor anyway.
    Wii does not suppoer 1080, Wii U does, however. As do most consoles and media players (XBoxOne, PS3, PS4, Roku3)

Quote Originally Posted by gegalfo View Post
    what makes you say this?
    They actually use Silverlight 4, Silverlight 5, and HTML5, depending on what OS and Browser you use.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23742

I also spoke with a rep just now, and he confirmed from the techs that Win7 does not support 1080. The hilarious part was, he stated originally that it definitely does work, since he has Win7 and uses 1080.... And after asking the tech, finds out he hasn't been using 1080 all along.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Alright I tested again on my desktop both in Chrome and IE and both got me 720x480.
    Odd. A couple things.

Make sure in your settings it's set to "High" and not Auto..

Also, how long are you letting it run? It always starts at a low res and works up to the higher ones as it buffers.

Though... your "Buffer Bitrate" is your max... That should be 3000 or 5800, not 1750...

EDIT: Also, can you get a screenshot of Ctrl Shift Alt S (Not D)

EDIT2: Also realizing it may be a region thing.
    Last edited by chazus; 2015-06-17 at 08:33 PM.