Page 5 of 80 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    This is typically what you get when you condone racism, that is why some countries have anti-racism laws.
    How do you make an idea illegal?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    How do you make an idea illegal?
    It's not so much the idea as it is arresting people for tweets and facebook posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenominon View Post
    If You're white. You can go ANYWHERE you want in most places. And black people are the most open and forgiving people around. Me personally i want more segregation. The black community did better when it didn't really interact with whites that much. It was a good trick really. When you make black people believe white man's water is sweeter. But your idea is in a way "just".
    I knew some Kenyan students, they weren't very pleasant people. I guess it's just personal experience then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaJay View Post
    We didn't even make it a full page before this thread devolved into garbage.
    And this comment reminds me of the thread going on about people telling other people to Smile even though they don't feel like it HAHA!
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    It's weird that both sides of this race crap have devolved so much, that a thread about 9 people being killed immediately becomes about racial issues in America.
    What, do we need people repeating that nine people being killed is a bad thing? Of course it's a bad thing. It's an awful thing. Is anyone not saying that? It'd take the most dickweed angsthiest (because it was "a church") or racist white trash (because the victims were black) to not think such. And hopefully MMO champion is free of both those groups of people.

But it's not "out of the realm of possibility" that this was a racially motivated crime.

Racist people still exist. Crazy people still exist. Those two groups of people aren't mutually exclusive sets. So it stands to reason that this may indeed be a racist crazy person. But crazy people, and racist people, don't necessarily become that way in a vacuum. Which is why it's an issue.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    You write a law that declares it illegal.

I don't think you asked the right question.
    Well firts you would need to re-write the 1st amendment to exclude hate speech...

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    It's not so much the idea as it is arresting people for tweets and facebook posts
    So taking action that violates an individual's constitutional rights?

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    i'll explain it to you. Its been less than a century since the south was desegregated. in all those many years prior, communities were segregrated. The coloured folk lived in one part of town, the white people in another.
    when the laws forbidding segregation were removed, people didn't see much reason to move out of the established communities, nevermind that racist violence was still rampant for decades after. the communities also had very different styles of worship, so people raised in one style preferred to stick with a church that had the style they were used to. nothing explicitly forbids anyone from going to another church except personal preference.
    i did an anthropology video on a black church.. holy shit, if that was church i'd probably actually have gone as kid. completely different style, tone, and approach.

Why make this a race thing at all? "A man went to a church and opened fire. There were 9 fatalities. The perpetrator, who is still at large, is male, caucasian, in their 20s blah blah".

Unless they catch the guy alive (seems to rarely happen) and he himself says he went specifically to that church to shoot black people, there is really no reason to say skin color was relevant. Or was he heard shouting white power or something?
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenominon View Post
    If You're white. You can go ANYWHERE you want in most places. And black people are the most open and forgiving people around. Me personally i want more segregation. The black community did better when it didn't really interact with whites that much. It was a good trick really. When you make black people believe white man's water is sweeter. But your idea is in a way "just".
    There are plenty of areas like that in the rural south that are predominately black.

- - - Updated - - -

So taking action that violates an individual's constitutional rights?
    Well this is Europe he's talking about.
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Deleted
    black church sounds like it's some sort of devil worshipping house of the unholy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    i'll explain it to you. Its been less than a century since the south was desegregated. in all those many years prior, communities were segregrated. The coloured folk lived in one part of town, the white people in another.
    when the laws forbidding segregation were removed, people didn't see much reason to move out of the established communities, nevermind that racist violence was still rampant for decades after. the communities also had very different styles of worship, so people raised in one style preferred to stick with a church that had the style they were used to. nothing explicitly forbids anyone from going to another church except personal preference.
    That's understandable, thanks for explanation, things always go by the path of least resistance without force of some sort applied. But do you think that segregation (even when not enforced by law, but by simple thought that it's better to keep the way it always been) is not part of a racism problem? I think that people should be educated and the "line" between "our established community" and "their established community" completely washed out, and existence of "black churches" and "white churches" only "provoke" (i know it's wrong word to use) the race-based violence, like in the OP case. If it wasn't a "black church", what chances that this guy would go into "regular-multi-coloured" church and shoot people?
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    black church sounds like it's some sort of devil worshipping house of the unholy
    That's the Black Sacrament

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    You write a law that declares it illegal.

I don't think you asked the right question.
    How do you pass an unconstitutional law?

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Well this is Europe he's talking about.
    Ah ok. Well that's something to be thankful for. Thanks for the clarification.

10+ Year Old Account
    How do you pass an unconstitutional law?
    It's not that hard, it happens all the time. The question is how long will an unconstitutional law stick around before the Supreme Court gets rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    i did an anthropology video on a black church.. holy shit, if that was church i'd probably actually have gone as kid. completely different style, tone, and approach.
    i know, right?

it makes this event all the worse imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tumppu View Post
    Why make this a race thing at all? "A man went to a church and opened fire. There were 9 fatalities. The perpetrator, who is still at large, is male, caucasian, in their 20s blah blah".

Unless they catch the guy alive (seems to rarely happen) and he himself says he went specifically to that church to shoot black people, there is really no reason to say skin color was relevant. Or was he heard shouting white power or something?
    Well you see people shooting up churches isn't something that normally happens. And seeing as this specific church is a church known primarily for having African American members, it would be an odd set of coincidences.

Racism still exists... and it still exists in the south. Sadly, it's not gone and dead. And if we plug our ears and look over cases where racism might be at play, we miss opportunities to address the roots of it.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Eh. Unfortunate. He'll be caught like near everyone is eventually. Even if it wasn't a hate crime it will be considered one, of course.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Outlawing hate speech doesn't really help.

A few European countries have draconian laws on such things and racism is rampant across much of the continent, it's not much better at all.