Deleted

installing Windows

I've assembled my computer, now I'm trying to install Windows.

I try to boot from DVD. It shows the "windows is loading files" screen, then goes to this screen, where it freezes.

h t t p : / / s21.postimg.org/5z3ilvpk7/P1120063.jpg

I've left it running for a couple of hours, and it doesn't go beyond that point.
    Any ideas what the problem could be?

It's an external DVD drive with a USB connection. Could it be that the USB drivers aren't loaded yet?
    But if so, how did it work that far?

The drive and the system disk seem to work fine. I've tried booting my old computer from them, and it goes to the install screen without problem.

Can I install Windows in a new disk on my old computer, then move that to my new one? would that even work?

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Hunt View Post
    I've assembled my computer, now I'm trying to install Windows.

I try to boot from DVD. It shows the "windows is loading files" screen, then goes to this screen, where it freezes.

h t t p : / / s21.postimg.org/5z3ilvpk7/P1120063.jpg

I've left it running for a couple of hours, and it doesn't go beyond that point.
    Any ideas what the problem could be?

It's an external DVD drive with a USB connection. Could it be that the USB drivers aren't loaded yet?
    But if so, how did it work that far?

The drive and the system disk seem to work fine. I've tried booting my old computer from them, and it goes to the install screen without problem.

Can I install Windows in a new disk on my old computer, then move that to my new one? would that even work?
    Grab a USB thumb drive of 9gb or more ( you need 8 gb minimum for 64bit windows.) and install from the USB, ive had problems using a external dvd drive to work, some work some dont. In theory you can hook up your ssd/hdd to another PC and install it there but that seems like more hassle then just installing from USB. OR take a internaldvd drivefrom the other PC and hook it up to your "new" PC.

The weird thing about this is that you tested it on another PC to boot from and it works you say? (If I understood you correctly or did you just test the disk), I'm assuming you tried different USB ports?

The issue is this could be your RAM or to a less extend the drive or bios settings (I dont know how techsavvy you are but change your boot mode from UEFI to Legacy), trying a USB install or a different drive is the first step to rule out possible cause.
    Last edited by Nuckels; 2015-06-19 at 03:17 PM.

Deleted
    yeah, try some of the default ports on the motherboard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuckels View Post
    Grab a USB thumb drive of 9gb or more ( you need 8 gb minimum for 64bit windows.) and install from the USB
    Sounds good, how do I do this exactly? Do I just copy all the files from the system disk to the thumb drive? Or make an ISO disk image, or what?

The weird thing about this is that you tested it on another PC to boot from and it works you say? (If I understood you correctly or did you just test the disk), I'm assuming you tried different USB ports?
    Yes, I tested both the drive and disk on my old computer, and yes I tried different ports on my new one.

Deleted

Just follow the above and select the appropiate settings, your key from your disc should still work. After that plug the usb in hte motherboard and you possibly need to set the boot order to USB first within the bios.

How much RAM is in the computer? I seem to recall some issues where trying to install Windows with alot of RAM installed and dropping it down to like 4GB temporarily seemed to resolve the install issues.

Deleted
    Thanks for the advice.

I found the problem. One of my hard disks was faulty. Once I changed that the install worked fine.