10+ Year Old Account

Question Replace Graphics Card?

So, I've been considering replacing my graphics card, since it's about 5 years old and I have a birthday coming up .

Anyways, the current card I'm using is a SAPPHIRE 100290SR Radeon HD 5870. It was an older card when I bought it a couple years ago, but I'm not sure if it would be the best upgrade right now.

Rest of my PC:
    RAM: 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
    MoBo: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
    CPU: AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 6-Core 3.3GHz
    HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 ST1000DM005/HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

So, what would I want to replace my current card for?

I've been eyeing the SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100363VX-3L Radeon R9 280X.

So, what do you guys think? Worth upgrading the card, or would my money be better spent upgrading something else?

As far as games, the ones I play on my PC the most are:
    - WoW
    - HS
    - D3
    - SC2
    - Portal 2
    - Bulletstorm
    - Batman Arkham games (yes, I have Arkham Knight reserved)

There are some other titles out there I've been thinking about buying (like The Witcher series), but I don't know how well my PC will do with new games.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Tikaru; 2015-06-20 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Corrected the CPU

Deleted
    So what power supply and case you got? Case to see if gpu fits in there and psu exact model yo see if it can handle it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Case: CM Storm Trooper
    PSU: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2

The case is really roomy, it fits my (IMO) large CPU cooler, Thermalright Silver Arrow, without coming close to touching the side of the case.

- - - Updated - - -

Or, would I be better off replacing the CPU, since the majority of games I play are Blizzard games (and I'm usually playing WoW more often than the others)?

If I upgrade, I've been thinking about the AMD FX-8350 Black Edition.

Deleted
    For wow deal is both could use an upgrade, gpu and cpu especially in raiding. Getting another amd cpu won't help you much as amd's are poor in cpu heavy games like wow. You would look at an i5 4690k with a Z97 mobo and go more further overclock that, with a decent aftermarket cooler, say to 4.2-4.4Ghz. Even an i3 4160/4170 would better in wow that any amd cpu.

On the gpu side, for 1080p gaming, a gtx960 or R9 280(x) are solid choices for most games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    For wow deal is both could use an upgrade, gpu and cpu especially in raiding. Getting another amd cpu won't help you much as amd's are poor in cpu heavy games like wow. You would look at an i5 4690k with a Z97 mobo and go more further overclock that, with a decent aftermarket cooler, say to 4.2-4.4Ghz. Even an i3 4160/4170 would better in wow that any amd cpu.

On the gpu side, for 1080p gaming, a gtx960 or R9 280(x) are solid choices for most games.
    Wow is not CPU heavy game * is single / dual thread heavy game

CPU heavy game is Crysis 3 on Welcome to jungle map i3 have problems with reach 22 Fps in this map

Check CPU cores usage during playing wow

Cheapest solution OC CPU you probably reach around 4.4Ghz.

Deleted
    Yeah indeed, 1-2cores high and a little on the rest, but you want to overclock, and since you can't overclock the i3 then you are left with a i5 that you can overclock. In any case, point stands on what you would need to buy/upgrade.

Deleted
    Wait a few months and buy the new i5 & i7 gen 6 processor instead. They support DDR3 and DDR4 memory´s. And they are like 15% better than gen 5 processors.

Deleted
    maybe this will help you chose CPU

CPU performance per threads Chart stock speed and OC Dark Pink
    http://postimg.org/image/4vyf299cf/
    Source: http://www.overclock.net/t/1493307/r...mparison-chart

Here you have game test across many CPU generations + Gtx 780
    http://overclock.pl/articles/show/id...iorcze-gtx-780

Just upgrade the gpu if you feel you should. The processor you have is sufficient enough for what you need. I played WoW for years on an old AMD Phenom II X4 960T Black Edition (no OC) just fine.
    CPU: Intel i9-14900k | MOBO: ASUS RoG Strix Z790-F
    GPU: ASUS Strix 4070 TI Super | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED DDR5 32GB
    SSD: Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1TBx3 | PSU: Corsair HX 1200i Platinum | CASE: Lian Li 011 EVO
    DISPLAY: Triple 27" Monitors | ASUS Swift ROG PG2780 27" 1440p - 2x BenQ 27" IPS 1440p

10+ Year Old Account
    GTX 670+ would be enough, 680 is about 250