Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Without sounding like a whiny bitch server communities are basically dead. Raiding as whole became a lot easier and open.

Go to a major city in TBC or Classic and everyone is riding there racial mounts with shitty quest gear, go into a major city now everyone has full epics and some sort of 'rare' mount.

Players who put in extra time or effort weree noticablly different, now everyone looks the same.
    Hi Sephurik

wow is a very boring game to watch, even at its most "exhilarating".

back in the day it was the only thing to watch

now theres LoL, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never knew a famous player. Never bothered to know any of them.

Most of the "notable" people on a server, even back in the day, got that way from either being 1) colossal trolls or 2) Colossal dicks. Very often they overlapped.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post

Players who put in extra time or effort weree noticablly different, now everyone looks the same.
    Yeah I sure know I appreciated looking like an outland clown sitting on a racial mount. I sure stood out amongst the 200 other people that fit that exact description sitting around me.

But now that I have the option to make my armor look like whatever I want, and to ride many of the rare, epic mounts that I dedicated my time to that very few other people have, I just don't feel unique enough... I too, like you, long for a time when I was different because I was the same as everyone else.

And to anyone not getting it and saying "you dunderhead, you literally just said two diametrically opposed things," well... You're just thinking about it too much. Don't think about it, and it'll all make sense.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Community died after TBC.

We have tons off thoes guy's, I was one off them, on my server. We'll I was more known as a abit to active trade talker, and I did alot off pugging....so yea.

Especially our 1% pvp community was sick. Some amasing players, rating or just raidingBGs w/e. RIP Drudhk Kor'gall EU and others.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Deleted
    Its usually kids and teenagers who need heroes and idols. Average WoW player is older than that these days.
    Also, cross-realm.

10+ Year Old Account
    It still excists through out servers, just areas where the player visits most.
    As example i hang in Goldshire alot, and i am well known around there, because i been hanging there for 5 years now
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    A shift in priorities, the community taking a decline away from what someone brings as a whole to what someone brings to the guilds progression in raiding.
    People became less important, numbers more so.
    Famous players weren't always about skill alone.
    Exactly and it was a phase like everything else. I remember in 2007, on Ghostlands - a certain hunter would spread fear and chaos just by AFK'ing ontop of the Goldshire tavern. Everyone on the realm knew who he was, but with the shifting in-out community, new players coming to and old ones leaving, he was forgotten.

The constant flow of players entering and departing and with WoW acting like a train station - making a name for yourself in-game is no longer possible. Unless you have a YouTube channel and stream, you're just another player.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawrzillasor View Post
    Goband look at the percent of people who have killed mythic blackhand. That number is still very small.
    LFR = Mythic it is same content. Nobady cares about your gear or your guild/progression becouse they saw exact same content as you did so there is nothing special about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndor View Post
    LFR = Mythic it is same content. Nobady cares about your gear or your guild/progression becouse they saw exact same content as you did so there is nothing special about it.
    People choose to do mythic or any higher format because it is not the same.
    That argument has never been true.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndor View Post
    I can't understand why someone who had completed Normal would progress to Heroic, because they are in fact exactly the same.

But saying that LFR is the exact same content as Mythic, is just stupid.

That's like saying that going to the Valley of Strength AH in Orgrimmar is the same as killing mythic Shamans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some have hit on it, same thing that happened to all the YouTube celebrities, people with more talent, and viewers with better options moved on. Only so many people and only so long you have hearing and seeing some guy screaming immature crap into his mic, eventually the audience hits puberty or real life happens.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Community died after TBC.

We have tons off thoes guy's, I was one off them, on my server. We'll I was more known as a abit to active trade talker, and I did alot off pugging....so yea.

Especially our 1% pvp community was sick. Some amasing players, rating or just raidingBGs w/e. RIP Drudhk Kor'gall EU and others.
    Yes, people are no longer held hostage by the whims of a few they can do their own thing enjoy the game and then go do something else.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

15+ Year Old Account
    I thought you said famous. Who the hell was that and why would I care about them? It's just some WoW player.

I thought you meant actually famous people, like Curt Schilling or Mila Kunis or Dave Chappelle. You know, REAL famous people who have been known to play WoW.

This thread is a disappointment.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    As a player who played back in 2005-2008, i remember there was a lot of famous players. Let alone the globally famous players, every server had their top guns. This is a good example:

youtube.com/watch?v=AttBEReS1wg

Nowadays everyone is like a copy of a copy. What do you think caused it?
    Famous players dissapeared when this game's skillcap got reduced...

Used to be harder to be good or to accomplish things.

Now it's so casual, homogenized, simplistic, and easy to do anything it doesn't matter anymore. Why praise some random dude with any number of random dudes can do prettymuch the same thing.

Back in burning crusade I had an entire server of people who followed everything I did and constantly wanted to talk to me for any number of reasons, not just about their class and how to improve but just "buddying up" as well for whatever reason. But back then I was a hardcore raider as well as PVPer, had gladiator rankings in the first 4 arena seasons and sold dozens of gladiator ranks to others as well. My guild was top 10 in the world for most of TBC.

After TBC I left that server and I wasn't really as involved with the community anymore. I stopped posting videos on PVP or raiding, I just kinda kicked back. Never built up the same large scale recognition again. There's plenty of people on my own server who know who I am if I happen to get into a pug with them, and pugs I join always praise my ability to tank. it's actually kind of a sore topic for some of my healer friends because I can join a pug group on my DK tank and be the top DPS, top healer, and take significantly less damage than the other tank so it's very easy to notice and give praise about. My healer buddies however never really get praised, even if they carry the healing HARD in a pug. Makes em kinda mad. But despite impressing randoms in groups I join, there's really not much fame of recognition beyond that.

I guess the problem is back in the day you were either a raider or you weren't, and the number of successful raiders was much smaller than it is today. These days literally ANYONE can be a raider, and while clearing the mythic raids are more rare, it just doesn't have the same impact or meaning that it used to. People see you as a generic "mythic raider" and already assume you're going to crush their numbers.

I think the potential is there though if you actually want it. If you actually WANT the attention and WANT the praise (and are any good) you can stream, make youtube videos, whatever. Frankly i'm content these days just wow'ing pugs I join and otherwise being left alone because I just don't have the time or desire for that mess. I hardly play as it is and only login maybe 6 hours a week total. Game just doesn't grab me like it used to and I get burned out pretty easily these days.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkie View Post
    Famous players dissapeared when this game's skillcap got reduced...
    Or, players balls (finally) dropped.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    There is this guy that is advertising his pvp stream on trade chat 24/7. Everyone hates him. I think that counts as famous... sort of.
    We have a bunch of infamous players, doubt that's what he's looking for though.

People grew up.

10+ Year Old Account
    There was a time where you could only roll one faction per server and there was no LFG tool. Smaller community feel and public reputations were established.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    As a player who played back in 2005-2008, i remember there was a lot of famous players. Let alone the globally famous players, every server had their top guns. This is a good example:

youtube.com/watch?v=AttBEReS1wg

Nowadays everyone is like a copy of a copy. What do you think caused it?
    removal of everything that a better player can do to be ahead.
    everything is homoginized.
    there is no choice.
    long as you are not a clicker you can excell just like the next person.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

There were "famous players" when the game population was much smaller. Its easy to be a big fish in a little pond.