Upgrading questions for CPU and GPU

Hello! Right now i'm using an fx6300 4.3ghz and a GTX 760. I'm stuck at a crossroad right now. I asked this question of at Toms Hardware and received mix responses. I was looking to upgrade my GPU to something better and i received responses to not do that and upgrade my CPU to the 8350 or just go straight Intel because my FX6300 will bottleneck in the future. Can anyone help me out on this?

Budget - $400
    Resolution - 1920x1080
    Games / Settings Desired - MGS5, Fallout 4, any other new games = High to Max
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) - Just gaming
    Country - USA
    Parts that can be reused - Just between the CPU and GPU depending on what i do
    Do you need an OS? - No
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? -No

CPU- FX6300 4.3ghz
    GPU- GTX 760 SC
    MB- Asus M5a97 r2.0
    PSU- Corsair CX600
    HDD- WD 1TB Black
    OS- Windows 8.1
    RAM- Corsair Vengeance 8GB
    Last edited by Hammerziet; 2015-06-21 at 05:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    please use this format:

Include the following information when posting a request.

• Budget
    • Resolution
    • Games / Settings Desired
    • Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    • Country
    • Parts that can be reused
    • Do you need an OS?
    • Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?

Ideally include a list of parts, we see the same request almost every day. There are other topics that have parts lists that you can copy and modify.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Deleted
    What games are you playing mostly? mmo's , fps, shooters? gtx 760 is still a good card for most games out there for 1080p with the exception of a few late AAA titles.

Right now Witcher 3, old Fallout games, WoW, SC2, CSGO. This year i'm picking up other games such as Fallout 4, MGS5, Rainbow Six Siege. etc

Deleted
    The deal is that for wow and mmo's you need the best cpu you can get and overclock it. So intel cpu's cause of their very high single core proccesing are preferable. Amd's many core don't help cause most games use very few cores, 1-2. If you play casually tho, questing and casual lfr then the amd is ok-ish. For high end gaming you would want a i5 4690k and overclock it to a decent lvl.

From the other hand for witcher 3 and the like, you benefit more from a high end gpu. I would say that a gtx970 for 1080p@60hz is more than enough.

So you need to make a call here what is most important. For an intel cpu you would need new board as well. You are looking close to 350bucks for that which is as much as gtx970's are worth. Anything less really isn't worth the cost for a gpu compared to what you got.

I would recommend unless critical to upgrade the cpu (you got trouble gaming) get the gpu and wait for Q4 of this year for the new intel cpu socket.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would save up for a gpu and then wait for next generation intel cpu's.

Due to 2 factors, 1 the new generation is soon and two with windows 10 and dx 12 there is an overall less strain on cpu's which means the cpu being the bottleneck is less of an issue.

I would recommend getting a 970gtx now and then get an intel cpu later down the line.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

10+ Year Old Account
    Upgrading the FX6300 is worthless right now, cause it is a good CPU. You have a decent motherboard to go with it. The 760 isn't bad either but when it comes to upgrades it's always better to upgrade the GPU. Something like a 970 isn't a bad upgrade. Upgrading your FX6300 to Intel won't be noticeable unless you play lots of WoW.