15+ Year Old Account

The future of gaming

This is an article that was in the Washington Post last Friday.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ur-generation/

I'm sure people will say that this isn't news, but since some of these games aren't a genre that interests me I didn't really know any particulars about them. In the 4th or 5th paragraph is a link to a scale rendering of Altis compared with other game maps (http://moricky.com/blog/img/Maps_GamesOld_full.png for the lazy ). I have to admit, I said "wow...".

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnseven View Post
    I have to admit, I said "wow...".
    This, however, is not my reaction. Quality, not quantity, my friend; games such as Far Cry 4 boast about huge maps, but fail to do anything interesting with them. In fact, for me at least, they detract from the game, as it makes me feel overwhelmed and unfocused. I'd much rather have a concise, meaningful story than a huge sandbox game with little meaningful content within.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the direction

here are my 4 reasons to get an Xbone or Ps4,

1. Fallout 4
    2. Witcher 3
    3. Mass effect 4
    4. dragon age Inquisition

what do they all have in common? (YES I AM ALSO CONSIDERING PC, BUT $$$$$$$ ISSUE)
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2015-06-22 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I like the direction
    Why do you like huge maps? I think we can all agree that we like more content, but when there's not really much in the way of content, what's the point?

what do they all have in common?
    That they also come out for PC?

I know that wasn't your point, but I couldn't resist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the games I listed off,

Skyrim and fallout have a ton in common and in those bigs maps there was always something to do. Mass effect also had a ton of stuff (it really wasnt open world, but the new 1 will be), and dragon age has tons of content as does witcher

Also I do not have the $$$ for a PC, but I am considering it too

I like huge maps because I like adventure, its why I like Zelda, and lots of old Nintendo games....

"adventure.... YEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!" - Peanut butter gamer

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the direction

1. Fallout 4
    2. Witcher 3
    3. Mass effect 4

what do they all have in common?
    they look 100x better on pc?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    they look 100x better on pc?
    also considering a PC, but they are more $$$

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the games I listed off,

Skyrim and fallout have a ton in common and in those bigs maps there was always something to do. Mass effect also had a ton of stuff (it really wasnt open world, but the new 1 will be), and dragon age has tons of content as does witcher

Also I do not have the $$$ for a PC, but I am considering it too

I like huge maps because I like adventure, its why I like Zelda, and lots of old Nintendo games....

"adventure.... YEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!" - Peanut butter gamer
    Invest in a PC, you will not regret it.

Graphics a bit dated now? just simply upgrade your graphics card for 120+ bucks with the latest budget model.

Congrats, you now own a console constantly up to date with minor maintenance fees every few years. Enjoy constant performance! \o/
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Let's get back to discussing map size and such, and drop the discussion about PC/Consoles.

I like the direction

1. Fallout 4
    2. Witcher 3
    3. Mass effect 4

what do they all have in common? (YES I AM ALSO CONSIDERING PC, BUT $$$$$$$ ISSUE)
    With the money you'd spend on a console and those 4 games you can play for free you'd get yourself a high end PC.

Playing Bethesda games on a console is intellectual suicide, anyway. They're full of bugs and balance issues. Without console commands or mods they're downright unplayable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Let's get back to discussing map size and such, and drop the discussion about PC/Consoles.
    YOU STARTED IT! We need a super mod!

YOU STARTED IT! We need a super mod!
    Was more trying to poke you into elaborating further, but yes, I suppose I did contribute.

I love open world maps, i cannot wait for Just Cause 3...just running around gunning shit is more fun than a constricted storyline.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Was more trying to poke you into elaborating further, but yes, I suppose I did start it.
    fixed for ya!

Quote Originally Posted by aviger View Post
    I love open world maps, i cannot wait for Just Cause 3...just running around gunning shit is more fun than a constricted storyline.
    The biggest feature I'm hyped for is the flight suit. I'll probably spend my days climbing the tallest mountain and gliding all over the map.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the direction

1. Fallout 4
    2. Witcher 3
    3. Mass effect 4

They all have too much talking and not enough playing.
    I support a cash shop in WoW!

10+ Year Old Account
    And Japan (what a surprise!) already took advantage of the VR headset for a VR girlfriend!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=110&v=Z9463NLOeRA

What is the article saying exactly? That people like open world games? That open worlds increase in dize as hardware gets better at handling it? ...okay?

What's he going to write about next? That the future of the internet is "literally huge", because it'll keep growing in size? Uh, yeah, obviously that's what's going to happen... big surprise.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Deleted
    Well... As far as the future being huge goes, No Man's Sky will apparently have 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets, each of which can be landed on and explored on foot. I have no idea what the scale of those planets is once you've landed on them, but even if they're a tiny fraction of an actual planet's size, the total land area in that game is pretty damn huge. None of that, of course, is including the actual space between the planets, which I'm sure isn't really playable area, as you'd jump from system to system. Anyways, over 500 billion years real time to jump from planet to planet every second.

But yeah... Does anyone have any idea how big the planets in that game are?

EDIT: Reading a Kotaku article, apparently, if the planets were Earth-sized, it would be around 500 million million sqm, and apparently Minecraft can generate seven times that. I dunno if you've ever tried flying around in Minecraft though, but for me anyway, it seems to bug out once you go far enough. Not sure if one could generate seven times 500 million million squares in it.

Still, huge sandboxes. Fallout 4 will be bigger than Skyrim, and I'm guessing that's just the trend.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2015-06-22 at 10:12 PM.