10+ Year Old Account
    A Black Land of Sorcery and Nameless Horror

Israel bans publication of details of report into church arson attack

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/ne...h-arson-attack

Israeli police yesterday obtained a court order banning the publication of details of the investigation into the burning of Tabgha's Church of the Multiplication of the Loaves and Fish last week.

Large crowds participated in the Sunday mass in the church and the protest rally following it.

A Jerusalem magistrate's court banned the publication of any details which could lead to the identification of any of the suspects.

The decision is valid until the 21 July.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu instructed the General Security Service to investigate the attack on the church.

Since 2011, 17 hate crimes have been committed inside the Green Line in Jerusalem. The perpetrators of the 17 crimes, which targeted mosques and churches, have not been prosecuted.

According to a report published last week by Israeli newspaper Haaretz, the early months of 2014 saw a 200 per cent increase in such crimes which were attributed to far right groups. The overwhelming majority of the criminals responsible for those attacks were not brought to trial.

Thousands of Arab Israelis protested on Sunday against the arson attack. The demonstrators called for the protection of Christian and Muslim holy sites from Jewish settlers. The former Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem, Michel Sabbah, and Bishop Giacinto-Boulos Marcuzzo led a special Mass inside the church "in protest against the deliberate attack".

10+ Year Old Account
    Not wanting the details of an ongoing investigation to be made public is pretty sensible, it's a bit of a pain in the arse to bring people to trial if they've been lynched.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not wanting the details of an ongoing investigation to be made public is pretty sensible, it's a bit of a pain in the arse to bring people to trial if they've been lynched.
    Since 2011, 17 hate crimes have been committed inside the Green Line in Jerusalem. The perpetrators of the 17 crimes, which targeted mosques and churches, have not been prosecuted.
    Is that what happened to the other 17?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Is that what happened to the other 17?
    Perhaps they haven't caught them, or couldn't get enpough evidence to charge them.

It's not really relevant though, this is an ongoing investigation and releasing details of suspects isn't a very sensible idea when people are angry.

Perhaps they haven't caught them, or couldn't get enpough evidence to charge them.

It's not really relevant though, this is an ongoing investigation and releasing details of suspects isn't a very sensible idea when people are angry.
    I agree with that statement on its own; but am I misunderstanding things or are people not angry because the 'hate crimes' are going unpunished? I thought that was why people were getting fed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I agree with that statement on its own; but am I misunderstanding things or are people not angry because the 'hate crimes' are going unpunished? I thought that was why people were getting fed up.
    They may well be fed up because of that, however I'm not an Israeli policeman so I don't know what evidence they had to be able to prosecute for previous offences and this thread title is about the Israeli police not wanting to release details of an investigation for a crime that happened a few days ago.

It's hard to see what the OP wants to discuss if it is anything beyond what the title is about, it is just one of those "link a story" articles that people seem to write as if this is a news aggregator site or something.

It's hard to see what the OP wants to discuss if it is anything beyond what the title is about, it is just one of those "link a story" articles that people seem to write as if this is a news aggregator site or something.
    I think he's just trying to point out the often not mentioned fact that Israel is not exactly this culturally open and accepting society it tends to try to paint itself as.

It's not just Muslims who traditionally face substantial discrimination and even the occasional violence but Christians as well. Especially if they happen to be Arabs.

Basically there is a strong, large and vocal Jewish segment of society that is rabidly hateful and rabidly nationalist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I think he's just trying to point out the often not mentioned fact that Israel is not exactly this culturally open and accepting society it tends to try to paint itself as.

It's not just Muslims who traditionally face substantial discrimination and even the occasional violence but Christians as well. Especially if they happen to be Arabs.

Basically there is a strong, large and vocal Jewish segment of society that is rabidly hateful and rabidly nationalist.
    The title relates to this specific incident, the picture too, as does 3/4 of the copy pasted article. It's difficult to conclude that the OP is trying to bring to the attention of people a wider issue, when they don't seem to be doing that at all, it just seems they want to discuss the incident in question which is summed up in my first post, i.e. police shouldn't release the details of suspects in an ongoing investigation.

The OP's other threads mostly seem to be shit stirring against Muslims or Israelis using dodgy source material, this follows that trend.

Israel has a history of using the courts to block mention or publication of events in the country

It has several prisoners who are not even known by their real names but by letters, reinforced by court orders

Using a court order in this manner is not unusual or uncommon

It is simply symptomatic of the right wing fascist government of netanyahu and his ultra orthodox extremist cronies

Detention without trial, detention without a name, intolerance of other faiths and creeds

All hallmarks of modern day israeli "democracy"

And people are surprised that this has been suppressed by court order
    Everyone kept saying MoP was shit, but it started at 10M subs. It's big loss was by months 4-6 into MoP, the total loss across those 6 months was only 1.7M compared to WoD losing 2.9M in HALF THE FUCKING TIME. 3 months passed and WoD loses 2.9M players. This is not due to "MMOs dying", but because Warlords of Draenor is a garbage expansion. Cata also lost 2.9M subs across the entire expansion. MoP lost 3.2M across the entire expansion. WoD lost 4.6 Million 7 months after it launched!

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    Israel has a history of using the courts to block mention or publication of events in the country

It has several prisoners who are not even known by their real names but by letters, reinforced by court orders

Using a court order in this manner is not unusual or uncommon

It is simply symptomatic of the right wing fascist government of netanyahu and his ultra orthodox extremist cronies

Detention without trial, detention without a name, intolerance of other faiths and creeds

All hallmarks of modern day israeli "democracy"

And people are surprised that this has been suppressed by court order
    Thank you for your opinion on the matter.

Now, importantly, do you believe that modern Israeli democracy is surrounded by nations with superior governance? Please, do tell.
    Call me Cassandra

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Sounds like an accurate statement for about any western country.