Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hav0kk View Post
    Basically release a set of new servers that start off in vanilla and slowly progress through the patches and expansions over time, i think this is a fantastic idea.
    We have that its called World of Warcraft

I mean why shouldn't they do it? can u imagine players been able to re experience the epicness of ahn quiraq gate opening event? players starting fresh would be like a whole new game. and would breathe brand new life into the game.
    apart from the FACT that YOU clearly didnt see the "epicness" aka lags/dcs/server crashes because of too many people in one place the question is "Why should they" there is no playerbase willing to pay 15 bucks a month for that.

I am sure that I and many others who have quit the game would resub to this game in an instant if this happened, I can almost guarantee it, I would gladly pay 9.99 a month to play on legacy servers.
    so you would pay LESS every month then it was in vanilla. YOu clearly dont get economics.

What Happened to the leveling experience? The epic adventure to max level is now now nothing but a casual faceroll to 100, then when you finally get there after a few days max you realize there is actually not a lot to do, Sure you can raid, sure you can pvp, and sure you can sit in your Facebook mini game garrison and collect your daily income with the click of a button.

What happened to the actual challenge of leveling? where is the danger?
    THAT my friend is called NOSTALGICA (which you just want cause you never experience it)

[QUOTE=Hav0kk;34502246]The Whole game is like a different game to what it was designed to be, what it was intended to be. this is not World of Warcraft anymore, this is a single player RPG.[QUOTE=Hav0kk;34502246]lemme get all Garrosh on you here: "Times change!"

People complain about apexis dailies taking a long time and you want to bring back vanilla?
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

10+ Year Old Account
    This WoW cant be new again.

It would work with a new engine/database only.

"THAT my friend is called NOSTALGICA (which you just want cause you never experience it)"

I like how WoD defenders always label someone wanting quality adventure and content back in WoW as "nostalgic". It has little to do with nostalgia. and more like wanting to see quality content again.
    Last edited by Demithio; 2015-06-25 at 11:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demithio View Post
    "THAT my friend is called NOSTALGICA (which you just want cause you never experience it)"

I like how WoD defenders always label someone wanting quality adventure and content back in WoW as "nostalgic". It has little to do with nostalgia. and more like wanting to see quality content again.
    I get called out on that everyday, "It's just nostalgia bro". I've said in numerous posts that i'm playing on a vanilla server and I love it, I even loved leveling my two characters up to 60. Yes it was slow as hell but I had a lot of fun, especially at 40+. If It was just nostalgia for me I wouldn't be playing nonstop on old version servers (and been doing so since cataclysm)

And people get so mad and almost scared when a vanilla server from blizzard is being discussed, why? If you don't like it you don't have to play on it, what is REALLY the problem here?
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

Quote Originally Posted by Edison View Post
    I get called out on that everyday, "It's just nostalgia bro". I've said in numerous posts that i'm playing on a vanilla server and I love it, I even loved leveling my two characters up to 60. Yes it was slow as hell but I had a lot of fun, especially at 40+. If It was just nostalgia for me I wouldn't be playing nonstop on old version servers (and been doing so since cataclysm)

And people get so mad and almost scared when a vanilla server from blizzard is being discussed, why? If you don't like it you don't have to play on it, what is REALLY the problem here?
    They are afraid it will cost them another raid tier.

10+ Year Old Account

When buffs meant something, and made players friendlier.

It was always about the journey of getting to the top, but that journey was over ever since endgame turned into a lootfest - with loot stats/resistances and talents having no interesting impact on gameplay.

Wow 2.0 if there is one is going to be a microtransaction ridden piece of crap for people who'd have problems with that title https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AV9W2ZdmjU and anyone living in reality should be aware of that.

IKR, I'm getting quite tired of seeing that exact response, every god-damn-time either vanilla/classic/progression-servers are brought up. It's like trying to argue with a minor who keeps repeating "No, you're stupid!" when trying to tell him something he apparently doesn't like or wants to hear. People spends weeks, months playing on these servers - Its not JUST nostalgia, that's just one part of the whole experience. The reason people put up with time-consuming and "difficult" leveling is because they like it, its just a fun experience. It was fun back then and its fun now, obviously not everyone will feel this way, I'm aware of this. However, just because you perhaps wouldn't like it you can't call out everyone else expecting them to have the same thoughts and opinions as you.

People need to stop being so offended by a discussion regarding official vanilla/classic/progression-servers, that as we all know, is a very unlikely thing to ever happen. Your precious WoW-live isn't going anywhere, so don't worry guys/gals. Having a discussion about it isn't harmful to anyone, so stop acting like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    When buffs meant something, and made players friendlier.

It was always about the journey of getting to the top, but that journey was over ever since endgame turned into a lootfest - with loot stats/resistances and talents having no interesting impact on gameplay.
    A minor thing in the grand scheme of things; but yes, you're correct. Things such as buffs, and more importantly in my opinion, items used to mean something. With each expansion the quality and importance of items has been devalued drastically. Nowdays you don't bat an eye towards a character equipped in full epic, because you can literally get that in a couple of days without much effort. Back in the day, if you saw in the earlier days someone with, for instance, a full set of T2's, you'd know that guy had seen some shit in his days. People would often gather around said person to inspect and *drool* over his shiny gear.

Playing through a dungeon and seeing that awesome blue axe drop made you jump with excitement of the thought, even more-so if you won it. Items mattered, I didn't think it was THAT big of a deal before I played on a Vanilla server again. I as many others thought it was just part of the nostalgia-filtered glasses of a particular rosy-tint. I was wrong, items matter wasn't just because of some old feeling, it had a lot of ties to actual game mechanics. Which makes sense, when something isn't as common, or in many cases very rare, said items stick out of the crowd. They help giving the player some feeling of accomplishment and recognition should you happen to come across a piece of fantastic gear.

Now, talents, that's another worm-hole in and of itself. I've always had the opinion of Blizzard essentially dumbing down the talenttrees was a bad move, I never liked it. Even though cookie-cutter builds was very much so a big deal in the earlier versions of WoW, it was a great feeling of having so many different builds available to your disposal. However, much like the importance of itemdrops, I didn't think it was THAT big of a deal, I just didn't like this new approach Blizzard took that's all. It wasn't till I played on a Vanilla server and reached lvl10 on my first toon, I looked at the talenttrees and realized how much more interesting they are. Filled with a lot of "useless" talents? Sure, but they are also filled with a much larger degree of options, the ability to build and create hybrid builds between any and all of the trees. Remember rogues back in the day? I don't remember the build specifically but there was one where they basically divided their talentpoints almost equally in each of the trees.
    Last edited by Loffemega; 2015-06-26 at 10:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neba
    *upon Arthas death*
    "Well done! But your Frostmourne is in another castle."
    *hurls Frostmourne over the horizon to the next expansion*

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    People complain about apexis dailies taking a long time and you want to bring back vanilla?
    I guess you don't even understand what people are talking about. Its not about grinds, its not about garrisons and its not about raids. Its about RPG. RPG was what drove millions of players to WoW. RPG elements are completely gone in today's WoW, now its linear story driven (guided by developers' vision instead of making our own path) game with "end game is king" and "raid/pvp or die" mentality.

Apexis or whatever grinds are not relevant to this topic. Also I guess you didn't play vanilla because those grinds you are referring to were pretty much irrelevant and very very few people did them. People were playing MMORPG, not "end game" grind.

Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    I guess you don't even understand what people are talking about. Its not about grinds, its not about garrisons and its not about raids. Its about RPG. RPG was what drove millions of players to WoW. RPG elements are completely gone in today's WoW, now its linear story driven (guided by developers' vision instead of making our own path) game with "end game is king" and "raid/pvp or die" mentality.

Apexis or whatever grinds are not relevant to this topic. Also I guess you didn't play vanilla because those grinds you are referring to were pretty much irrelevant and very very few people did them. People were playing MMORPG, not "end game" grind.
    Vanilla was one continuous "grind." Quotes because it was nowhere near as grindy as a JRPG or even EQ, but compared to current times it was infinitely longer.

Grind resist gear. Grind herbs for pots. Grind flowers for raid buffs. Grind mobs for shards (locks). Grind mobs for levels, when you run out of quests (everyone). And so on, and so forth.

The fact that someone is asking for a WoW 2.0 tells me that they did not play during Vanilla... because if they had, they would remember what happened when EQ brought out EQ2. That's right.... Vanilla, and it exploded, due to Sony's divided customer base.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimson View Post
    Vanilla was one continuous "grind." Quotes because it was nowhere near as grindy as a JRPG or even EQ, but compared to current times it was infinitely longer.

Grind resist gear. Grind herbs for pots. Grind flowers for raid buffs. Grind mobs for shards (locks). Grind mobs for levels, when you run out of quests (everyone). And so on, and so forth.

The fact that someone is asking for a WoW 2.0 tells me that they did not play during Vanilla... because if they had, they would remember what happened when EQ brought out EQ2. That's right.... Vanilla, and it exploded, due to Sony's divided customer base.
    Resist gear: overblown out of proportions. Maybe in AQ40/Naxx it was true, which was seen by like 1% of population, so that's irrelevant. Also I don't think anyone is asking for resistance gear to come back.

Herbs for pots: newsflash - it worked like that until WoD. Also there is auction house.

Flowers for buffs: what? Candles and other stuff was from vendor. If you mean stuff like Flamecap or whatever it was called, that's from TBC and only hardcore raiders bothered with that. That's the price of being hardcore raider.

Shards for locks: really, you call that a grind? Locks got enough shards during trash in raids.

Mobs while leveling: I've leveled 3 characters to 60, don't remember grinding on any of them. You were doing leveling wrong. Though I wasn't anti-social solo player who confused MMO with single player game, which today's WoW is perfect for, I did a lot of dungeons while leveling.

"So on, and so forth"... please tell me what massive grinds you are talking about.

EQ/EQ2: who cares? its a different game in different setting.

And one final thing: please point me to where people were asking for copy of vanilla. People are asking for RPG elements from vanilla, not carbon copy of 10 years old game. See first post: its about challenges while leveling, not being shoved into linear stories, about making game before max level matter, about RPG. There is nothing in that post about asking to bring back grinds. It seems some posters have jerk reaction to word "vanilla" and can't see difference between asking for whole 10 years old game back and asking for elements of 10 years old game.
    Last edited by mmocbeba583bd0; 2015-06-26 at 12:40 PM.

A proper WoW 2.0 would be far too ambitious for Blizzard today. I bet it would be worse then Titan.

Deleted
    And one final thing: please point me to where people were asking for copy of vanilla. People are asking for RPG elements from vanilla, not carbon copy of 10 years old game. See first post: its about challenges while leveling, not being shoved into linear stories, about making game before max level matter, about RPG. There is nothing in that post about asking to bring back grinds. It seems some posters have jerk reaction to word "vanilla" and can't see difference between asking for whole 10 years old game back and asking for elements of 10 years old game.
    No, its just because Vanilla WoW is placed on some sort of pedestal with laurels on top of it and holy aura around it. And yes, most posts in this topic people are asking to copy Vanilla. To open up Vanilla server. Or TBC. Pretty much as it was back in the day.
    Vanilla, TBC, WotLK, every single expansion in this game has been constant grind. It's just what the game has to offer.

Back then it was no different than now - you hit max level and start grinding same areas for same resources, same dungeons, same raids, over and over and over. Only it was taking much more time than now because of how inexperienced players were, and the content were burning out at slower pace.

And the other big difference - internet was not that popular. Information was not shared at the current rates. So there was no way for the regular player to know what's behind this hill or inside this cave. You just venture in and when you defeat this monster and get nice drop, there was this Wow! effect. Or when you see this friend having a fancy new armor you were like - oh, where did you get this from, it looks cool, can we go together so i can have one as well?

But... those times are not coming back. Even if they make WoW2 with nice story and difficult monsters and many areas to explore, hidden treasures and everything you are asking for it wont work.
    The very next day you will open Wowhead or MMOC and there will be 100 guides:
    "A guide for insta-leveling"
    "Map for all hidden treasures"
    "List of monster drops"
    "Most efficient questing"
    "Step-by-step quest guides"

So all the thrill of discovery, the excitement of exploration is killed at birth. Gone.
    This is what modern gaming is.

Quote Originally Posted by Alienshroom View Post
    A proper WoW 2.0 would be far too ambitious for Blizzard today. I bet it would be worse then Titan.
    Titan became Overwatch, and now people are hoping that Overwatch gets its own MMO like WC3 became wow.

People still play everquest 1 and never moved over to 2, same thing would happen here and Blizzard wouldn't do anything but split its mmo population and not make that much more money for having spent so much to do a new wow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bladebarrier View Post
    No, its just because Vanilla WoW is placed on some sort of pedestal with laurels on top of it and holy aura around it. And yes, most posts in this topic people are asking to copy Vanilla. To open up Vanilla server. Or TBC. Pretty much as it was back in the day.
    Vanilla, TBC, WotLK, every single expansion in this game has been constant grind. It's just what the game has to offer.

Back then it was no different than now - you hit max level and start grinding same areas for same resources, same dungeons, same raids, over and over and over. Only it was taking much more time than now because of how inexperienced players were, and the content were burning out at slower pace.

And the other big difference - internet was not that popular. Information was not shared at the current rates. So there was no way for the regular player to know what's behind this hill or inside this cave. You just venture in and when you defeat this monster and get nice drop, there was this Wow! effect. Or when you see this friend having a fancy new armor you were like - oh, where did you get this from, it looks cool, can we go together so i can have one as well?

But... those times are not coming back. Even if they make WoW2 with nice story and difficult monsters and many areas to explore, hidden treasures and everything you are asking for it wont work.
    The very next day you will open Wowhead or MMOC and there will be 100 guides:
    "A guide for insta-leveling"
    "Map for all hidden treasures"
    "List of monster drops"
    "Most efficient questing"
    "Step-by-step quest guides"

So all the thrill of discovery, the excitement of exploration is killed at birth. Gone.
    This is what modern gaming is.
    They data mine everything now you can not only see what your grannies panties are under her clothes but what kind of thread count the panties have and what Asian country it was produced in.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow is filled with so much cry babies wanting it to be free want free loot crying left and right about everything. I can't log on to wow once a week on my days off without having someone cry. The mmo market just needs to end really i wanna see new games not that supposedly free to play mmo gimmick.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    No one ever answers questions like this but perhaps Hav0kk would like to give it a try. Let's just go with this and accept it that "Fine, it needs to happen. Let development begin!"

OK, how long until it comes out? Three years at least, maybe five, maybe more? What happens in the meantime with WoW 1? I mean, we all want WoW II to be the best it can be so they'll need to put all hands on it, right? So no expansions for a few years?

And why should they do this? Is there some vast market for this that no one but you really knows about? Because I'll tell you: The developers at Wildstar thought--until the game was out for a while--that they had this thing done. And guess what they found out? They were surprised at how many people simply wanted to play solo; how many people thought the long, long attunements to raid were stupid. They practically killed their own MMO giving people the same thing more or less that you want.

Azeroth is too big now for an MMO? Really? When was the last time that Blizzard really used this too-big world? I can't remember that. Every expansion we're encouraged to completely forget the world is there. Screw that. I want the world to be the MMO, not some relatively tiny chunk of it that isn't attached to anything else.
    Are you suggesting that they will actually use the same dev team that makes expansions for this new game? That will not happen, they will have a new team, or at the very least replace every person they took from the old wow team.
    They would keep it a secret for 3 years, and build up hype 2 years from release, starting a few months after a new expansion comes out.
    Chronomancer Club

This game is a decade old. I agree time for change would of already of happened, and it has. Why do you think the game has changed so much ?

Blademaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Basically.... I think now is the time for blizzard to really do something drastic to change the current path the game is heading.
    For too long now Blizzard have been making the game easier and easier at the huge cost of it's player base. it is clear to see.
    Basically I could go on forever but All I want to see is World Of Warcraft become a MMORPG Again, What it once was, and not a single player empty sandbox world.
    When the game was new, there was a lot of awe and wonder for all players, a world of unknown to explore, no guides to dungeons, add-ons (at first), raids, maps, apex crystal run videos and guilds/community where still forming ...etc! 10 years of the game and we are at the "saturation limit" which leads/caused all the negative thought and wishes for days of old.

Those days are long dead and its time to grow up old timers! Players have dictated this mess were currently in and its the players working with the Dev's that can fix it with some easy solutions, but it will cost everyone something, some where along the line to do it.

What the game lacks is Awe and Wonder. Even before the game patches, raids, content comes out, people have gamed the game to death in PTR. Release videos which displays all the Awe and Wonder we where going to it and unfortunately, like moths to a flame, we can't help but look and devour content by the mass info dumps. Even if you "try" to avoid it you will succumb to this "need to know" -- raid guides, apex farming as examples.

1. If blizzard did strict in-house game testing for all things without releasing a single shred of anything past a trailer, ocne the world was released, you would be awe struck and find yourself back at a state of wonder. Wondering what do I do, where do i go. on look a treasure i didn't know about. what does this boss do, oh we died 30 times, 300 times, 3000 times. I guess we need to rethink our raiding options.
    The cost: blizzard now has to expend more of the company budget/time to produce this mystery content which means its going to take longer to release and at a higher price. Not sure that's something the share holders want or the public is willing to wait for.

2. No raid guides, no farming vids or how to vids. no add-ons will be ready or allowed. Take away all the comfort and don't allow it for 2-4 months and see what happens. The original game didn't have recount, treasure find add-ons, GPS or the TELL ME HOW TO PLAY MY GAME add-ons. you had to learn.
    The cost: you actually have to learn and enjoy the game. so many people are going to pissed off.

3. Raids and Gear. Take off all the need for gems, enchants, potions. Have the gear be gear at the start that has to be modified...later. Only special drops from raids with different drops per difficulty. You want that epic mount, well you need to clear mythic bosses to get it for sure otherwise, you will have to farm the raid later for that .001% drop rate change. All special drops come from the end content. Special patterns, potions, buffs, items, gears...
    Turn off any and all add-on options except for a raid log and let the players figure out on their end how to read it.
    the raid journal can still be in game but make story out of it instead of listing spells and abilities it tells a tale about each boss/instance. "Stay a while and listen..." , Beware the circle of red death...

4. Dungeons. no more finder! you run your butt to the stone after you find a group in chat.
    a lot of fun and questing can happen here. cosmetic drops, pets, pet battles that need 5 people, flex groups, solo options. make the world quest a key part of dungeon questing but make the quest hard to find. random locations where players have to learn about it.
    Have the 2-3 difficulties of dungeons for end game players. they will get gear but not the awesome raid gears. have colour dye drops, pets, food buffs. mini games in dungeons. make the dungeons the fun part of the game. the raid will be the face palm runs for the truly hardcore.

5. The truly epic/legendary. Design into the game, really special moments for those players willing to look at or go a little further into the worlds hidden places. special treasures that lead you on a continent hoping run to find the new treasure piece(s). Have the players forced into events once they are on special key quest that are not doable along, at all! You happen upon a hidden flight path--where does it go? do you get eaten up by a whale along the way. is there a horde of monsters waiting. is it a special open world dungeon location where you need 5, 10, 20 players to complete?
    May its the game makers just trolling the players into an epic poop quest or, something real world epic for the first group to complete this challenge in-game.
    Last edited by Zedwin; 2015-06-26 at 02:40 PM.

So what I'm gathering from what you said is: Apexis grinding is harder than playing in vanilla. Because I wasn't implying that the people who don't like doing apexis grinding won't like vanilla at all.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself