Page 1 of 2
LastLast

1440 or 4k build help

Hello there fellow gaming enthusiasts, I find myself in a time of need. I have recently come across some money (new job w00t w00t!) and my computer, not so desperately but definitely in need of an upgrade, needs new parts. I'm looking to purchase parts capable of 1440 or 4k gaming.

Budget: 2500$
    Resolution: 1440p or 4k
    Games / Settings Desired: Latest releases and future release such as Batman Arkham Knight, Witcher 3, etc.
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): Photography edits
    Parts that can be reused: Hard drives and SSD, possibly power supply at 550w, disc reader.
    Do you need an OS? No, ill be purchasing Windows 10
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? Nope

Any and all help is highly appreciated, looking forward to seeing the builds and discussions on various products!

Deleted
    I would recommend sticking with 1440p gaming. The price and other inconveniences about running 4K is not worth it overall in my opinion.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 113.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($74.90 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($95.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($499.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1189.85
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-23 13:10 EDT-0400

- - - Updated - - -

If you're in doubt about the quality of the current PSU then I recommend you just get a new one:

EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular
    EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular

If you plan on not overclocking your cpu, then dont bother spending the extra cash on cpu cooler, the one included is just fine at handling the temps at stock speed

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviolle View Post
    If you plan on not overclocking your cpu, then dont bother spending the extra cash on cpu cooler, the one included is just fine at handling the temps at stock speed
    ... and is also a significantly worse quality and much louder. When you can get your desired needs covered with less than half the budget you might as well include it.

Deleted
    Good build by Notarget, would also recommend one of the power supplies he mentioned as pretty much compalsory unless the one you got is rather new and good quality as those ones. You don't wanna risk old psu with new parts for so little cost compared to the build total.

I am not sure if the Dark Rock 3 is similar in clearance with the pro so i would prefer low profile ram just to be sure.

Thank you Notarget, thoughts on GTX 980 ti? Any recommendations on 1440p monitors?

Just to chime in if you plan on going 4k since I recently went to 4k to make it easier for editing video. Since I have limited desk space I also just use it for gaming.

I was running a 280X 3GB OC and was only able to get around 65 fps sitting still. Doing any sort of questing in WoW I would get only around 45 fps. I had to add an additional 280X and use CrossFire to get respectable performance. That said, in most situations, I can achieve 60fps+ in WoW on "High". Those two cards, and this is somewhat due to me using AMD, use a LOT of power and as such generate a LOT of heat which also means it can be LOUD. The only time I have FPS issues is when on a flight path. I don't know why but it hasn't bothered me since I hardly even look at the screen or are even at my computer when I am on a flight path.

So, going 4k means you may need to rethink your entire setup including how you are going to power and cool your machine. You may even have to get a bigger UPS to make sure it can handle the requirements of your machine after you get it running. Since a descent 4k monitor is going to start around $600 it also puts a HUGE dent in your budget.

I am not trying to discourage you or anyone from going 4k if you absolutely want or need to. It is possible to run 4k and get descent results, even on yesteryear's technology like I do. It looks absolutely beautiful.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jugynaut View Post
    Thank you Notarget, thoughts on GTX 980 ti? Any recommendations on 1440p monitors?
    Low profile RAM as Kostattoo linked is always nice. Personally I only see myself needing 16GB so I won't be expanding and can just place the RAM in the two outer lanes.

As for the 980ti, I mean it's tempting and all but honestly for 2560x1440 I think the 980 is absolutely fine or even perfect.

If you really wanted 4K you'd see around 30-38 FPS in Witcher 3 and at 1440p you'd get ~65 FPS but of course at 4K you could easily adjust a few settings lower and still get a great looking game. The Witcher 3 is really demanding if you want to max things so if you want everything maxed without a second thought then yeah a 680ti is reasonable even for 1440p.

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB ACX 2.0+ $650

As for a monitor, I have two different suggestions for 1440p. Either a 25" from Dell or 27" from BenQ, I've owned both of these and hands down I'd go with the Dell. 27" on BenQ was definitely nice, especially if you use it as a TV for movies and such but purely for gaming, in my experience, the 25" has perfect ratio between pixels and screen real estate. Also out of the box the Dell is just really good and comes with a USB hub if you value that. Either way I have no problem recommending them both:

BenQ GW2765HT $400
    Dell U2515H $397
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2015-06-23 at 08:27 PM.

The feed back is great and much appreciated. I will post my current set up tonight and maybe we can pick and choose which parts to obtain to reach 1440p capability. Because new intel processors will be coming out within a couple months. I do believe I will be going with the gtx 980 ti however. A 100 more when i'm saving on various other parts seems worth it to me.

Iam on the same boat, I will be doing a computer upgrade to either run 1440 or 4k

I fucking hate 1080p even on a nice Dell 22inch(I had to downgrade from 24' cause it was even worst) I can clearly see the screen door effect(space between pixels) so I want something with higher DPI.

Tbh cards atm cant really handle 4k decently even the 900$ 980Ti, imagine future games will be even worsst

So 1440p might be the sweet spot, anyone had the same probleam and going to 1440p made a huge diference?

Thing is 1080p@22' is 100.13 PPI, 0.2537mm dot pitch and 1440p@25' is 117.49 PPI, 0.2162mm dot pitch, its only 17 pixels more per inch so its might not even be that much of a difference
    Last edited by Hellfury; 2015-06-23 at 11:31 PM.

Sorry for not posting the build last night, got home from work late.

Currently running....

i5 3550k
    GTX 660 ti
    12 GB Ram
    550W 80+ Gold Power Supply
    256 GB SSD
    1 TB HDD
    HAF Case

If you could let me know what to replace and when to replace for 1440p specifically. That'd be awesome. I definitely have my heart set on 980 ti, because I'd just like to have top notch since i can afford it.

Thank you in advance for more feedback and discussion!

Sorry for not posting the build last night, got home from work late.

Currently running....

i5 3550k
    GTX 660 ti
    12 GB Ram
    550W 80+ Gold Power Supply
    256 GB SSD
    1 TB HDD
    HAF Case

If you could let me know what to replace and when to replace for 1440p specifically. That'd be awesome. I definitely have my heart set on 980 ti, because I'd just like to have top notch since i can afford it.

Thank you in advance for more feedback and discussion!
    Just the GPU really.

Deleted
    Yeah really just the GPU. CPU and motherboard if you can sell your current combo. Or wait until August for Skylake, next generation Intel CPU.

Also just noticed, you have a K chip but did not mention a CPU Cooler. So in addition to the GPU, if you do not have one, get one and OC your CPU.

Ok that's actually great to hear. That was my plan as of now. Upgrade my GPU and wait till Skylake. Any suggestions on 1440p monitors?

Deleted
    Ok that's actually great to hear. That was my plan as of now. Upgrade my GPU and wait till Skylake. Any suggestions on 1440p monitors?
    Yes a few posts up

I appreciate all the help. I am gonna be holding off on monitor for now. But the GTX 980 ti is ordered! However I cant expect it till July 17th which makes me sad haha. 550W should be ok yes?

Stick to 1440p IMO. The benefits of supersampling vs. hardware requirements/strain really isn't close to being worth it. It can also be very buggy with certain games and require significant micromanaging of computer configuration to get working well. It's typically just something the "PC Master Race" brigade like to brag about in spite of its limited benefit.

If and when you get a monitor I recommend getting an IPS monitor, especially if you spend alot of time on the PC. They typically have both better colour range AND are easier on the eyes (I mean that literally not that they're prettier looking!)

Quote Originally Posted by Aqueous View Post
    Stick to 1440p IMO. The benefits of supersampling vs. hardware requirements/strain really isn't close to being worth it. It can also be very buggy with certain games and require significant micromanaging of computer configuration to get working well. It's typically just something the "PC Master Race" brigade like to brag about in spite of its limited benefit.

If and when you get a monitor I recommend getting an IPS monitor, especially if you spend alot of time on the PC. They typically have both better colour range AND are easier on the eyes (I mean that literally not that they're prettier looking!)
    Noted. Thank you aqueous!

10+ Year Old Account
    I appreciate all the help. I am gonna be holding off on monitor for now. But the GTX 980 ti is ordered! However I cant expect it till July 17th which makes me sad haha. 550W should be ok yes?
    Just don't cheap out on a PSU.

Go with Corsair or Seasonic.