Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question "Tanaan is garbage". Is the problem the story?

So, a couple of my 'Murican chums have already DM'd me to say Tanaan is garbage.

The thing is, I don't think such a short period of time is enough to make a reasonable judgement of anything. I suppose you can spot bad sex after about five minutes, but even that's assuming the problem isn't you.

I think the problem is that people don't really care about Tanaan. It doesn't feel threatening, the Iron Horde were impotent throughout this expansion, and players are just asking themselves what the point in all this was. In game terms, I've literally got no connection to the world my character is in; I can't relate to the warlords the way I did before, because they act in ways they hadn't previously (with the exception of Gul'dan), and the story just didn't develop any character to the point where you cared about them.

Even when Velen died, it was like:

"Oh, that's AU Velen - not OUR Velen".

I think this general malaise with the story in Draenor, including it's extremely anemic character list with truncated development arcs, has made players wonder why they're bothering. The game doesn't feel like an adventure, which means when you get to Tanaan you're already looking past it.

Maybe it's time Blizzard started putting the story and adventure back into their game about the stories of adventurers.

No the problem is the content sucks, besides raids, if you actually have the time to raid.
    Blizzard White Knighting is not allowed

Careful, you're saying something negative about the game on patch launch. In before the guy in that other thread requests it closed.

I have to admit I feel no desire to play. I setup 4 different hubs already both Ally and Horde side, poked around a bit and have decided that I don't care about flying enough to spend any time in this zone. As others stated in that other thread, perhaps it is time for the previous OP and myself to find another game. Heelsvsbabyface was right in his assessment of this patch. So, bleh...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I can't confirm the legitimacy of the post, but here is the end game video for WoD. My son provided it:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTI2ODkxNDIzMg==.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nye the Spy View Post
    No the problem is the content sucks, besides raids, if you actually have the time to raid.
    I agree, but you can't possibly judge the content in such a short period of time. So when someone says they're bored of Tanaan already, it's likely something else is going on.

Deleted
    the problem with Tanaan is that they used the timeless isle/mop rare concept and butchered it, removing any and all replay value (this is true for all of draenor). I still got shit to do on Timeless Isle,I still farm pandaria rares but I'll be done with Tanaan in 2 weeks. There's also no pvp element like there was on TI so no reason to just hang out and wreck shit. The reputations offer shitty rewards besides the infininte rune and are again mind numbingly boring grinds with no story progression. In short, it's shit.

6.2 just like 6.0 provides virtually no meaningful content outside of raiding.

Who's excited for another glitched boar mount?
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2015-06-23 at 07:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amulree View Post
    I agree, but you can't possibly judge the content in such a short period of time. So when someone says they're bored of Tanaan already, it's likely something else is going on.
    If it's like it was on PTR it takes only a few hours to do most of the non-repeating stuff out there (not including the raid obviously). What shocked me was that there was so little in the way of quests or story. But then, they want this to be TI 2.0 and TI was really nothing more than mindless grinding for the most part.

TI and Tanaan (and most of WoD world content) reminds me of reality TV - it's cheap to produce and there's very little story that the producers have to create.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Doubt it's the story. From what i saw on PTR it was nothing more than a glorified farm area for apexis, which got boring as fuck in the 3rd day.

It's completely terrible. Raiding being the exception as always. Not gonna buy a token for next month since I have no interest in playing anything besides actually raiding.

I think I'm just done with mmos in general at this point looking at it. It's just not fun to grind bullshit unless you raid or do something else that could be fun in game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    This is true, however I do agree the story is very disconnecting at times, the only two people who died that actually mattered are Garrosh and Maraad. Everyone else is cannon fodder and their lives don't matter anywhere near as much as those two did.

Deleted
    Tanaan is only there because the raid had to be somewhere
    Blizzard slapped some random story in it and all done.

Not bad for a zone that was supposed to be a (low level?) leveling/questing zone!

7+ Year Old Account
    Game has been out for 10 years.
    Content has always been: Kill, Collect or Gather
    Skins and abilities are the only thing that changes along with the story.
    After 10 years removing the abilities and adding a skin that no one cares about because it doesn't really affect your universe leads to burn out. Since at it's core the gameplay has always boiled down to: Kill, collect or Gather.
    Stand here/spread there for raids. It gets old.

Take a break. Come back in the next expansion if WoW still holds you, but you along with many others are just outgrowing the game that was once a huge part of their life.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Tanaan is only there because the raid had to be somewhere
    Blizzard slapped some random story in it and all done.

Not bad for a zone that was supposed to be a (low level?) leveling/questing zone!
    Im pretty sure it was suppose to be 98-100 at one point.

Deleted
    There is no narrative and no direction.

Look at 5.1 or 5.2, it had a narrative and direction. 6.2 doesn't.

Deleted
    Im pretty sure it was suppose to be 98-100 at one point.
    Ah ok! But still... they just took something out of the orginal launch content and released it at a later point.

It's kinda depressing...

10+ Year Old Account
    It's partly the story. It's partly people who post on game site forums who never have anything good to say about the game jumping into it without having looked at it. It's a lot of things.

I pretty much agree that the story is forgettable and pointless with respect to the ongoing story of the world which really seems to have come to a complete halt after Wrath. The entire story rationale for the expansion with the time travel AU business was a huge mistake. But lots of people are going to like it just fine. Others will never give it any kind of chance. Minds are already made up and there's very little that's going to make them change at this point.

After one expansion that was largely disconnected from the main story line but which was saved for many by the depth of content and an interesting alternate story, here's another that's even less connected to the main story in Azeroth.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2015-06-23 at 08:04 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Tanaan is lacklustre becayse it lacks significant story prgresssion, but Timeless isle had the same problem. If anyone says that 5.4 was a good patch, they certainly have to say 6.2 is a good patch. Tanaan is a better timeless isle. The raid is good. Legendary quest finished(much easer to do than MoPs).

What did 5.4 bring. Tell me if im missing soemthing.
    SoO, Timeless isle, legendary completion, 2 world bosses(5 I know, but 2 loot tables), something else? Im struggling to think of anything else.

6.2 adds bonus events which will be content for years to come, mythic dungeons(they may be boring now, but they will probably make dungeons relevant enough for us to get more in patches finally), Shipyard(minor I know, but its something at least), Tanaan which has a ton of treasures and rares just like Timeless isle, and also has a better way to gear up than timeless had. You can buy upgrade tokens now twice a week instead of having to grind for many hours to get one on timeless. At least 6.2 grind is more structred and you can even do it through older content and the mage tower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    It's partly the story. It's partly people who post on game site forums who never have anything good to say about the game jumping into it without having looked at it. It's a lot of things.

I pretty much agree that the story is forgettable and pointless with respect to the ongoing story of the world which really seems to have come to a complete halt after Wrath. The entire story rationale for the expansion with the time travel AU business was a huge mistake. But lots of people are going to like it just fine. Others will never give it any kind of chance. Minds are already made up and there's very little that's going to make them change at this point.

It's not just the WoD story, though, it's the utter lack of storylines in 6.2. To some degree WoW has always been, as someone here said, Kill, Collect, Turn in. But at its best, the game has made that process interesting by wrapping some story elements around it. The TI model forgoes story for raw grind plus reward. It is, as I said above, like reality TV vs scripted series.

Given the time they had to do Tanaan, it's utterly inexcusable too. Look at 5.1 - the Lion's Landing/Dominance Offensive stuff was basically a rep grind with dailies, but there was story interwoven in there. I find it unlikely that they could not have done something like that here if they wanted to.

The last good patch imo was 5.2, also happened to be my last major tier I raided in, if you don't count the first week of SoO, which I thought sucked compared to ToT hence the raiding quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Tanaan is lacklustre becayse it lacks significant story prgresssion, but Timeless isle had the same problem. If anyone says that 5.4 was a good patch, they certainly have to say 6.2 is a good patch. Tanaan is a better timeless isle. The raid is good. Legendary quest finished(much easer to do than MoPs).

What did 5.4 bring. Tell me if im missing soemthing.
    SoO, Timeless isle, legendary completion, 2 world bosses(5 I know, but 2 loot tables), something else? Im struggling to think of anything else. r.
    The very significant difference is that 5.4 was the last patch in a yearlong cycle (and, by definition, the 4th patch). I thought TI sucked, but it was basically there to allow people to quickly catch up so they could do SoO in some form and thus see the end of the story.

In contrast, Tanaan comes in the 2nd, not 4th patch and the first patch had basically no world content whatsoever.

Deleted
    The last good patch imo was 5.2, also happened to be my last major tier I raided in, if you don't count the first week of SoO, which I thought sucked compared to ToT hence the raiding quit.
    Patch 5.2 was indeed very enjoyable. I loved both the Island with it's quests and the raid.
    The trailer was also pretty epic!

Dang, wish 6.2 was more like that...