Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    My other question is, why now? These things have been around for awhile in all states, why is it offensive, just now? Why are you only offended right now? why not last week? Last year?

I guess it's time for Yale to take down their statue of Calhoun. Why aren't you up in arms about that?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    If you would care to read an entire post, I did go on to say "regardless of my perception of it". I'm willing to concede the idea that we may see different things in this object but it's far from an appropriate response to deface it.
    Would you defend the defacing of an Adolf Hitler memorial statue or be against it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffa1 View Post

The correct means had enough times to know it better.
    That doesn't even make sense.

Deleted
    That doesn't even make sense.
    So if the correct means were tried and failed nothing would be wrong with defacing it?

Deleted
    Would you defend the defacing of an Adolf Hitler memorial statue or be against it?
    It would depend how soon after the atrocities. If it's immediate it's an understandable position to be passionate about something that happened directly to you. If it's historic then I would be against its defacement in favour of it being placed in a museum.

- - - Updated - - -

So if the correct means were tried and failed nothing would be wrong with defacing it?
    It would not be right but it would be an understandable frustration to be powerless.

Deleted
    If it's historic then I would be against its defacement in favour of it being placed in a museum.
    But what if they refuse to put it in a Museum and ride their passive aggressive horseshit for centurys?

They can't whine and say we had no chance to put it in a museum.
    It would not be right but it would be an understandable frustration to be powerless.
    It would be the right thing to do.

Deleted
    But what if they refuse to put it in a Museum and ride their passive aggressive horseshit for centurys?
    Did that happen?

Deleted
    Did that happen?
    You think people didn't ask for the removal of that statue of a flamboyant advocator for slavery?

"Why not" is not a reasonable question to ask about this flag. It's clear on its meaning and usage. Get rid of it. Maybe you white folks who don't have any balls, and a backbone can blame something else for your insecurities. I'm white for the record.

Deleted
    You think people didn't ask for the removal of that statue of a flamboyant advocator for slavery?
    Okay, so you don't know if any official discourse took place.

The south for some reason loves to celebrate a brief 4 year period of time when they succeeded from the union and held people in bondage with no rights. No region in the United States, I know of holds a period of time such as flags, memorials and statues. I don't see many Wild Bill statues in every western part of the United States. In MinneSNOWta we have mostly war memorials and dignified people's of state. We were admitted prior to Civil War in 1858.

I guess we need to have Jackson Mississippi, Jackson Michigan and two dozen other cities and towns and countless streets change their names, tear down the Andrew Jackson memorial in D.C. and take his picture off the twenty dollar bill because of the atrocities and oppression he committed on Native Americans
    Last edited by Vyxn; 2015-06-24 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    I guess we need to have Jackson Mississippi, Jackson Michigan and two dozen other cities and towns change their names, tear down the Andrew Jackson’s memorial in D.C. and take his picture off the twenty dollar bill because of the atrocities and oppression he committed on Native Americans
    Hell, if their last name is Jackson, then we should deport them.

/sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Rindrae View Post
    History is important to preserve, especially darker moments in history as reminders so we don't end up repeating the same mistakes. Editing history is one of the worst crimes imaginable.
    Agreed, but the only thing editing history in this case is the statue itself that portrays Calhoun as a great man. Whoever defaced it actually did a public service.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    "Why not" is not a reasonable question to ask about this flag. It's clear on its meaning and usage. Get rid of it. Maybe you white folks who don't have any balls, and a backbone can blame something else for your insecurities. I'm white for the record.
    It's clear on it's meaning and usage to YOU and YOUR opinion. Most people who fly that flag do not share YOUR opinion. How do you think insulting people is a way for them to share YOUR opinion? Nobody cares what race you are, nor should they. If your opinion was a thought out, intelligent one, people may take your opinion seriously no matter who you are. I guess insulting them works too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    I guess we need to have Jackson Mississippi, Jackson Michigan and two dozen other cities and towns and countless streets change their names, tear down the Andrew Jackson memorial in D.C. and take his picture off the twenty dollar bill because of the atrocities and oppression he committed on Native Americans
    I would support that completely. I know all that won't be happening anytime soon, but at some point in the future it will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    It's history.

If we forget why blacks are free we will forget why they should be free at all.

To remove the statues or other historic paraphernalia is to forget history. No matter your opinion of it.
    Last edited by Aeula; 2015-06-24 at 11:03 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    It's history.

If we forget why blacks are free we will forget why they should be free at all.
    I highly doubt that.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    These confederate statues exist for no purpose other than to support racial violence.
    No they don't- talk about 100% pure ignorance on your part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Should they be removed?

They shouldn't have been put there in the first place, but regardless to how offensive I find them. I don't approve of vandalism OR removing them, same way I felt about the 10 commandments being removed from some State Buildings. Because if it is part of history, and one that shouldn't be swept under the rug.

It would be kind of like picking away at the foundation of brick building because you didn't like how some of the bricks looked. It still part of that foundation. History should be something we LEARN from not something we are Ashamed or Proud of.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis