10+ Year Old Account

Songs and their translated covers

Music knows no boundaries. If a song has a good melody or a good beat, you can be sure someone will pick it up and make a cover of it. He may even translate it in his language. With good and bad results. This thread is about songs written in English and covered in another language, or songs written in some language and translated in English (there are more than you know).

So those of you interested could post a song in its original language, and then its translated cover.

Here is an exemple with Lady Marmelade by the LaBelle :

and it's French-Canadian cover by Nanette Workman :

Let's hear what you got!
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Mostly Disney. Mostly French. Most beautiful language.

Walking in the air:

Cover in Finnish titled Avaruus:

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a good rendition of Walking in the Air. I wonder if the topic of the song remains the same? Translated songs will often lose their original meaning in translation.

Exemple : Comme d'habitude (As usual), a song about the boredom and routine of everyday life written by Claude François, becomes a song about empowerment and life achievements sung in English by Frank Sinatra (My Way, English lyrics by Paul Anka).

Sample :
    As usual, all day long
    I will play at make belief
    As usual I will smile
    As usual I will even laugh
    As usual, well, I will live
    As usual.

The same verse in English:
    Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
    When I bit off more than I could chew.
    But through it all, when there was doubt,
    I ate it up and spit it out.
    I faced it all and I stood tall;
    And did it my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    That's a good rendition of Walking in the Air. I wonder if the topic of the song remains the same? Translated songs will often lose their original meaning in translation.
    Yeah, it kinda does a bit. It's fairly similiar but naturally it isn't some word to word translation. Literal translation rarely works especially when the languages are so different (Finnish is not even an Indo-European language).

Avaruus means space. I'd say that the cover is about a "magical" journey. A journey so amazing you could call it magical.
    Of course it is also about flying through a wintry scenery.

10+ Year Old Account
    And now, to follow Lord Petyr Baelish, here's a Disney classic : Bare necessities, from the Jungle Book. Or as they say in French : Il en faut peu pour être heureux (It takes little to be happy).

Because Disney. Figured I might as well post this. Personally I don't really like it too much, the cover feels a bit awkward at times.
    The title, Taakse jää, means something along the lines of "(It) is left behind". I think it's also worth mentioning that "jää" also means "ice".

And cover by Cake:

No one has seemed to make a 1 for 1 translation of this song.