Poll: Have You Played Dungeons and Dragons?

Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Dungeons and Dragons

I was curious, those of you who play RPG's or MMORPG's, have you ever played or currently play Dungeons and Dragons? Which do you prefer? Is it a good template for all potential rpg games?

10+ Year Old Account
    I've played a campaign in 5th edition. Been playing since 3.0.

Play more actively in Pathfinder though, which is basically DnD v3.75.

I find it enjoyable especially as an excuse to hang out with friends and shoot the shit while playing an RPG.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't played since the 90s.....

I haven't gotten a game going since 4th edition came out. Lots of people express interest, roll up characters, but when it comes time to schedule real game time everyone has lost interest.

My 4th edition books are essentially completely unused and I haven't bought a legitimate copy of 5th edition yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Love D&D. Not so sure about the 5th edition rules but we're learning it in the group I'm in.

The system is great but it all depends on the game and the GM running it. If I'm enjoying the game then I don't really care about the rules.

At the moment i'm playing in two games from 5th edition modules - Horde of the Dragon Queen and can't remember the other.

My favourite game is a Dragonlance 4th edition game I've been playing with my cousin and brother for over 4 years. We started at level 1 and are now at Level 21 about to do the High Cleric Tower battle that happens in the 2nd book.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I played AD&D when I was in highschool.

Several years later, I played 3.0 and now play 3.5 with some Pathfinder... but I have no real interest in 4.0 or 5.0.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the system is honestly WAY less important than the person running the game.

1st/2nd Edition were decent, but the power scale was wildly off for casters; the early levels they were near-useless, but they dominated the game in later levels.

3.X was also decent, but suffered pretty significantly from power creep with all the additional books.

4th Edition is probably my least favorite; I liked what they were doing with some elements, but the mechanics bogged down combat pretty heavily, making any combat session take way longer than any other system had.

5th Edition I haven't played yet, but it looks like they're trying to go back closer to the 2nd/3rd edition days mechanically, while bringing over a few elements from 4e that worked (like cantrips; low-level spells casters can use that don't "run out", as they did in earlier editions).

10+ Year Old Account
    Been playing since 1990 or so, second edition. Don't play table top anymore, last TT game was just after 4th Edit came out, but a friends forum has a bunch of play by post games and occassionally our old 3.X D&D game will get continued, or the Dark Ages: Vampire will update.

To avoid RL drag, if you have patience Play By Post is the way to go. Combat seems to take forever. Handy tip for your DM mathing, put all your buffs/mods/special snowflake/sneak attack in your signature, have everyone agree on color codes. Blue is to hit, light red damage, yellow ac, etc.

Katrina has +12 to hit (7 from Dex, 3 from Amulet Natural Attacks, 2 from Magic Claw)
    Katrina is +2 damage (Str), 4d6 Sneak Attack.
    Katrina studies target 3 rounds and sneak attack, Fort Save DC 23 (Base 10, 7 assassin levels, 6 from Int) or die
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Yeah, the system is honestly WAY less important than the person running the game.

1st/2nd Edition were decent, but the power scale was wildly off for casters; the early levels they were near-useless, but they dominated the game in later levels.

3.X was also decent, but suffered pretty significantly from power creep with all the additional books.

4th Edition is probably my least favorite; I liked what they were doing with some elements, but the mechanics bogged down combat pretty heavily, making any combat session take way longer than any other system had.

5th Edition I haven't played yet, but it looks like they're trying to go back closer to the 2nd/3rd edition days mechanically, while bringing over a few elements from 4e that worked (like cantrips; low-level spells casters can use that don't "run out", as they did in earlier editions).
    I remember when I was a kid barely old enough to read, glancing at my older brothers dungeon modules but not really know what it was all about. Just glancing at the results of a Google image search, I recognize modules like Tomb of Horrors, Isle of Dread, etc. Does anyone play that edition anymore? Is that considered 1st/2nd edition?

I play occasionally, but lately, my group hasn't been able to get together as frequently. Every Saturday evening was game night for a while, but it's been a few months since our last one. Always a good time.

I only started playing (4th edition) in the last couple of years. We've also dicked around with stuff like Gamma World.

I played in the 5e playtest at a local game shop. Didn't want to do the travel anymore though so I started looking online. Finally found a group through /r/lfg on reddit and have been playing with the same group for the past 4 months now. If you don't want to travel and don't want to host a game, definitely look up roll20. Online with voice/video built in if you want it, map tools for the dm, it's great. Also wizards of the coast has a bunch of free material on their website if you want to try out 5e with some friends and don't want to fork out the cash right away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently DMing a weekly campaign for a few friends. It's been going on for close to six months now and it's one of the highlights of my week.
    If someone were new to the hobby, I'd greatly encourage 5th edition as the entry point. It has all the soul of D&D and is beginner-friendly enough for even the most un-nerdy friend you have.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Paladin

Look. We already gave you guys Ashbringer. Isn’t that enough?

Deleted
    I've always wanted to try playing but I've never had any friends interested or any place to play.

I've been working on a campaign and a custom ruleset on and off for years, but I don't have anyone to actually play it with anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Played a game a few months ago. 5th edition. Didn't really like it too much. I don't have experience with the earlier editions.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

10+ Year Old Account
    i still play dungeons and dragons. currently playing 5th edition. i refuse to play 4th edition. i still prefer 3.5 edition
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Apolyc View Post
    I was curious, those of you who play RPG's or MMORPG's, have you ever played or currently play Dungeons and Dragons? Which do you prefer? Is it a good template for all potential rpg games?
    I've been working on my own system for a couple of years now, based on SRD rules.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    I've been working on my own system for a couple of years now, based on SRD rules.
    what are srd rules?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    what are srd rules?
    it's the d20 System Reference Document (D20 SRD)

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35

basically open license gaming, from Wizards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Option 5 - Never touched it myself but have dozens of friends who still play it regularly.